Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    A week ago I ordered a 755p throught the SERO phone number. It cost $279 + tax. After recieving the phone I logged onto my account with Sprint and noticed my nights and weekends started at 9, and I did not have unlimited text messages. After a half a dozen phone calls with idiots telling me it would cost $15 to add unlimited texts, one CSR said I should have it, and added it to my account(it's unknown if I'll end up being charged with for it.) I'm still trying to sort out the nights and weekends, but hey that's just Sprint, land of incompetence, and doesn't affect my phone.

As for the phone itself. Initially, I liked the size and weight, but after a week of heavy use, the miniscule size really grinds on me. That's right, I think the damn thing is too small!!!! In order to use the keyboard, I have to remove the stylus and use it to press the buttons otherwise I'd be pushing on at lest three buttons at once.

While the screen looks sharp, no dead pixels, and excellent color depth for touchscreen, I run into the size issue again, I'd like at least another inch of realestate.

I've managed to lock up or crash the phone at least once a day, which is about average for me, my MMA-700 required battery removal at least once a day, and reprovisioning about once a week. So, I really have no complaints about stability.

The Contact list while serviceable looks horrid, did they just forget to add some sort of GUI for it?

The audio quality is tolerable. After some rather heavy listening sessions with TCPMP and some WAV files, I found it on par with other handheld devices. Obviously, the machine didn't come with audiophile DAC's, and amp that can drive a higher end set of headphones, but it did a decent job with my Sennheisers and an external headphone amp. The device was incapable of driving the Sennheisers without an external amp though, and without one, everything was turned into a overly-bass-heavy-muddy-mess. Another issue that many will face when using headphones is impedence matching. Unless your headphones have present a certain load throughout their entire range, it's likely that it will shut off the stereo mode during high frequency or low frequency output.

While I'm listed as being in a EVDO area, any internet connection is questionable at times, especially inside my house. For phone calls, it breaks up often when used inside. This is nothing suprising, and no one has made a phone quite like my old Motorola Timeport as far as reception goes, I could get clean signal inside the old commo bunker at Ft. Story. Using a In-Building Wireless Amplifier from Wilson (left over from when I lived in the boonies) Signal is fully restored inside.

Overall:

Physical-I'm probably in the minority, but it think it needs to be bigger.(Although I am 6', and played Defensive tackle at a game weight of somewhere well over 300lbs)

Stability: Tolerable, probably can get a little shakey with Power users installing 50-60 apps.

Picture quality: Excellent, I was suprised at how nise 320X320 actually looks, I can read the scroller on the bottom of the NFL Network.

Sound: Speakerphone is nice and loud, the mic seems to pick up things well, but the impedence matching needed to trigger stereo output and the horrid parts they use to make the jack are a real downer. It's fine for those that think mp3's sound okay, or for casual listening. An adapter via the sync port to use an external DAC would be awesome(but wouldn't happen in my lifetime).

Signal: On par with most devices made in the last five years or so. That is to say, crap.

In the end, I'm happy with it, and can live with it. Some photo dialing software and a keyboard and I should be all set.
    Here's a great photo-dialing program: http://www.gx-5.com/products/dialbyphoto/
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    wow.. just saw the dialbyphoto site.. looks good.. i think ill get it if everything goes well with my treo..
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmcuasito View Post
    wow.. just saw the dialbyphoto site.. looks good.. i think ill get it if everything goes well with my treo..
    I use it on my 650 - great great stuff.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I like my Treo 755p, switched over from the Treo 650.

While this comment is not specifically aimed toward the OP, but to the general audience. When people talk about the phone crashing and how unstable it is, have you guys ever thought that it's not the phone itself, but most of the time it's the applications that we have on our phone that are at fault?
    I don't have any applications on my Treo 650 or the 755p and the phone haven't crashed once (Had it for ~3 weeks).

This thing is like a computer, sometimes it's Windows fault, but most of the time the culprits are the applications/user error.
    Quote Originally Posted by dslisfree View Post

This thing is like a computer, sometimes it's Windows fault, but most of the time the culprits are the applications/user error.
    Well, actually it IS a computer! Tricky part is to figure out which progranm(s) are causing crashes and update/eliminate them.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Captain Hair: That's actually the software I was looking at. Eventually, in my opinion GX5 will have enough software to create a new OS.

dslisfree: In regards to crashing, if a system is ultra stable, then even poorly constructed programs won't hinder the entire system. When a device crashes, while the cause might be the OS or the hardware, it's because you've hit the limit of what that system can do. For someone like me, it doesn't take very much to reach the limits of a device. I am an abusive user. I always push things well past their breaking point, which is why, in my case, it's so easy to crash things like this phone. It took me less than a week to start getting freezes and cryptic error messages on both of my new MACs, which of course, according to the commercials , doesn't happen. I crashed my 755p and needed to do a hard reset in the first hour of using it, with nothing installed but what it came with. That's because I really use the thing and now know there the limits are.
    So true for DBP, I mostly use it as my contact lists as well, the address book is sooooo dull looking >.<
    Quote Originally Posted by CPL Radar View Post
    Captain Hair: That's actually the software I was looking at. Eventually, in my opinion GX5 will have enough software to create a new OS.
    At the very least a whole new GUI overlay...
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Yea, sounds like you are having a software issue. My Treo 755p has not spontaneously reset once since I've owned it. The 755p is completely stable, my 700p spontaneously reset at least 5 times per day. I am very ahppy with the 755p and its stability. I'm using the same apps I used on my 700p and knock on weood not one reset, thank God It sounds like you're having an application conflict.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by dslisfree View Post

While this comment is not specifically aimed toward the OP, but to the general audience. When people talk about the phone crashing and how unstable it is, have you guys ever thought that it's not the phone itself, but most of the time it's the applications that we have on our phone that are at fault?
    I don't have any applications on my Treo 650 or the 755p and the phone haven't crashed once (Had it for ~3 weeks).

I swear I was thinking of starting a thread just to talk about this.

The more stuff I've put on my 755P, the more I've had to reset it. In particular, any program that doesn't have a version for the 755P (and was made generations back), so it's not as responsive to the 5-way navigator (meaning for on-screen buttons, etc.), is probably one of the reasons the doggone phone is resetting.

Again, that's just a guess. NESem is great, but I think it's one of the weak spots of my 755P performance (and ironically, it's one of the reasons I love the Treo so much).

Besides, I just discovered NESem, so I ain't giving it up too soon.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    Yea, sounds like you are having a software issue. My Treo 755p has not spontaneously reset once since I've owned it. The 755p is completely stable, my 700p spontaneously reset at least 5 times per day. I am very ahppy with the 755p and its stability. I'm using the same apps I used on my 700p and knock on weood not one reset, thank God It sounds like you're having an application conflict.
    Seeing as the applications are built in to the phones ROM, it would be difficult to remove them. I've never owned a pice of electronics that I didn't crash, including every DVD player, pre/pro, and TV I've ever owned. I'm a hard user.