1.    #1  
    I don't know about you guys, but the idea of restoring all apps and databases from the SD card after a ROM update freaks me out. That is just wrong plain wrong...!! My advise is to hard reset your Treo then apply the ROM update via hotsync while having the Treo plugged in to an AC adapter and finally installing each app from scratch and beaming or bluetooth only databases that you know of like contacts and memos. Restoring everything from a backup is just plain wrong...!! There are good chances that you may be overwriting or overlaying critical system files.

Al
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Agreed. This is the way I have updated every treo.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    With a corrupt HSSN, updating via hotsync was an unrecognizable Sprint device issue for many that the SD card option was an open avenue. Me being one of them...I will ride it out and see what happens but so far so good, knock on wood.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but the idea of restoring all apps and databases from the SD card after a ROM update freaks me out. That is just wrong plain wrong...!! My advise is to hard reset your Treo then apply the ROM update via hotsync while having the Treo plugged in to an AC adapter and finally installing each app from scratch and beaming or bluetooth only databases that you know of like contacts and memos. Restoring everything from a backup is just plain wrong...!! There are good chances that you may be overwriting or overlaying critical system files.

Al
    I finally see where your comming from since I blitzed thru your post via my prior posts. Yes, I do agree but if I have issues later I will hard reset and start all over again. So far my device is running better than ever and I for the first time as of yesterday have solid BT.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    if you are using windows vista you're screwed because the installer wont work right for everyone running vista.....they needed to release the palm desktop quick install beta as well as the mr.....no alternative other than the sd card....very messy
    "Yet each man kills the thing he loves, from all let this be heard. Some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word. The coward does it with a kiss the brave man with the sword."
    -- Oscar Wilde
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Part of me is not suprised that there were so many issues with this MR. On the other hand, it's not like they rushed this out to the public. Consumers have been complaining about the issues this MR was supposed to fix for over a year. This was really sloppy.
    I went the Hot Sync, NV Backup, hard reset, MR install, restore from NV Backup, Hot Sync route. Other than having to adjust some of the new found options from the MR; I've had zero issues with either of my 700p's. (yes I have 2, long story).

My bluetooth is now flawless, there is still some lag between some apps but between apps and phone app is instantaneous. Other than bluetooth I was happy before the MR, now I'm very happy.

I really think in this case the problem is all the 3rd party apps don't play we' with the MR. I don't think Palm could have possibly invisioned the amount of stuff some people have loaded on these things. When they put the MR up again, I'll bet they are going to alter the instructions to include a hard reset first. Just my 2 cents.
    I did the card. I copied the contents of the card to my laptop, did a quick format on the card, copied the PALM folder from the laptop to the SD card, inserted the card and it did the upgrade. Afterwards I did another quick format on the card and copied the previous contents back to it. The copying back to the SD card took the longest of the entire process.

Ben
    Given the number of "power users" in this forum alone, there is no excuse (IMHO) for Palm to not Beta test maintenance releases / updates and new hardware with the people here. It was immediately apparent after the T650 was released that there were problems. The posts here prove this group recognized them. It was immediately apparent after the T700p was released that there were problems. Again, the posts here prove this group recognized them. If Palm had bothered to allow some of the people around here to test BEFORE the release, they may have been able to avoid some of this bad press.

This is the first time since I purchased my Handspring Treo 300 that I am considering leaving Palm. I really want to see the release of the Palmux Treo succeed, but I'm about out of patience.

<sigh>