Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 66
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlyons02 View Post
    But now the baby is fine and has recovered well, with a little help of the NICU specialists.
    mines still down....
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by waterfrontmgmt View Post
    i think its actually the carrier because of their exclusivity clauses and because that is who you ultimately pay. the profit center for cell phones is primarily based on service...not the phone (even though this particular phone has a profit margin).

    your dell comparison is not acurate.
    How can the carrier be the ones who call for MR's or updates?? Sure they are the ones how probably receive a bulk of the support calls, but they should forward it along to the phone vendor, and the vendor should roll out the updates for each model phone. Lets face it a 700p is a 700p hardware wise, and probably 90% the same software, just small differences for each carrier. The problems with the 700p are more with core elements of the software/hardware that are not going to be different for each vendor (i.e. the bluetooth stack or the os power management) sure carrier A might have rolled out the 700p first, and had rev ROM 1.0, carrier B rolled the 700p out 3 months later with ROM rev 1.05... so if Palm does a MR that rolls out ROM 1.07 all 700p users should be eligible for the new ROM, just carrier A because carrier B's phones have most of the stuff in ROM 1.07.
  3. qqq
    qqq is offline
    qqq's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen001 View Post
    The Carrier should not be the one who decides if there should be an update... The Hardware and Software vendors are the ones who should be deciding...

    What you said would be like Dell saying their computers do not need all of microsofts updates... because they were shipped with most of the updates already...
    Maybe so, but it's not as simple as that. The carriers are the ones who are going to have to deal with all the support headaches. All you guys with bricked phones are going to your local Sprint store to get them replaced, right, not to Palm. Of course Sprint and Palm certainly have some arrangement for returning and replacing the bricked phones, but it's still a huge cost for Sprint to handle the fallout of a failed firmware release.

    It's not hard to see the other carriers' points of view - their *only* concern is "will putting out this release decrease or increase my overall support costs" - and it would be very easy for them to look at this mess and decide they'd be better off just living with the existing level of complaints from the un-upgraded firmware.

    It's an EOL'd product anyway, so they don't even have future sales to consider, just support costs.
  4. #44  
    Oince I can't sit here during my free time and whine about an up and coming Treo model, or a firmware update release date, or the fact that I still don't have Wi-Fi, or that the camera is crappy, or that the bluetooth ver. Is out dated, or that it feels bulky compared to the newer smartphones out there....I ponder now whether "Maintenance Release" was the appropriate title for this update....who's with me???
    Regards,

    2smart4phone
  5. #45  
    I was talking to sprint tech support to get my husband's vision's reprovisioned and some help with Sprint TV crashes after the update and the tech had never heard of the MR release for the 700p
    Is this a normal occurance?
    My update went very smoothly on mine and everything (including sprint tv) is working great...but with hubby's this isn't a good sign. He's resetting on alot of stuff and Sprint tech support says they haven't heard of the MR?! the tech told me to call palm because since 'sprint didn't issue it it's not sprint's problem'. What now? The broken 700p is out of warranty- has anyone else run into this? who's fault is it? ugh.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by qqq View Post
    All you guys with bricked phones are going to your local Sprint store to get them replaced, right, not to Palm.
    Plenty of us have gone straight to Palm, but because they're not providing any sort of real support we've had to go to Sprint. So if what you say is true, it's only because of Palm's lack of support which they should be giving.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  7. aixguru's Avatar
    Posts
    195 Posts
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    #47  
    I believe Palm updated the Blog this afternoon regarding the MR removal. My concern is Palm is thinking installation is the only issue. I hope they review the comments here or on the Blog for new issues.

    My apologies if this was already posted.

    "Updated Post

    This is an installation issue and it is evident immediately during the installation of the MR to your device. If you have already loaded the MR successfuly to your device, you are good to go."


    http://blog.palm.com/palm/2007/06/700p_mr_tempora.html
  8. #48  
    "If you have already loaded the MR successfuly to your device, you are good to go."

    LOL... I think that's what they thought when they pushed the 700p turd out the first time...
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by sideman7 View Post
    "If you have already loaded the MR successfuly to your device, you are good to go."

    LOL... I think that's what they thought when they pushed the 700p turd out the first time...
    That's what I was afraid of.

    My phone is definitely not "good to go."
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by aixguru View Post
    I believe Palm updated the Blog this afternoon regarding the MR removal. My concern is Palm is thinking installation is the only issue. I hope they review the comments here or on the Blog for new issues.

    My apologies if this was already posted.

    "Updated Post

    This is an installation issue and it is evident immediately during the installation of the MR to your device. If you have already loaded the MR successfuly to your device, you are good to go."


    http://blog.palm.com/palm/2007/06/700p_mr_tempora.html
    I very much doubt Palm will update the ROM in any way other than to get the installation working more reliably. Modifying the ROM would probably result in them having to go through the whole recertification process again and I just don't see them doing that for something that has already cost them this much after the fact (I'm not saying it's not their fault for releasing a faulty product in the first place, I'm just looking at this from their perspective).

    In fact I'd venture to say that this is the last update that our 700ps will probably see (what's left of them after the bricking anyway), and that's even if they fix the ROM for the 755. This whole thing has demonstrated once again why ROM updates like this are becoming more and more unpopular amongst certain companies. From Palm's standpoint they probably would have been better off just brushing the 700p under the carpet completely. Now by giving in and trying to fix it they have incurred all of the support costs related to this, the cost of replacing some 700ps, and most likely Sprint's wrath on a product that is 1 year old, not to mention even worse PRPRPR $in$ $an$ $already$ $bad$ $PR$ $situation$.
  11. #51  
    22 more days. Can't wait. Goodbye to Palm and Verizon Wireless.
  12. #52  
    Tell ya what. As our business grows and I watch what's happening here with the Treo maintenance release I understand why IT departments just throw down a mandate of "Blackberry for everyone!" and get grumpy about anything else.
  13. #53  
    I have to plug the ^%$^&$&^% insurance that Sprint peddles for $7.00 a month. I hate paying $7.00/mo on insurance for this *%&^%& POS (not palm os ) 700p phone...but in my case, since I bricked three 700s this week, it's payed off.

    Now if I can just get them to give me a 755.........
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoogleNerd View Post
    I have to plug the ^%$^&$&^% insurance that Sprint peddles for $7.00 a month. I hate paying $7.00/mo on insurance for this *%&^%& POS (not palm os ) 700p phone...but in my case, since I bricked three 700s this week, it's payed off.

    Now if I can just get them to give me a 755.........
    I am still trying for that also.
    Talked with retention 2 times and struck out.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by ajabbari View Post
    I very much doubt Palm will update the ROM in any way other than to get the installation working more reliably. Modifying the ROM would probably result in them having to go through the whole recertification process again and I just don't see them doing that for something that has already cost them this much after the fact (I'm not saying it's not their fault for releasing a faulty product in the first place, I'm just looking at this from their perspective).

    In fact I'd venture to say that this is the last update that our 700ps will probably see (what's left of them after the bricking anyway), and that's even if they fix the ROM for the 755. This whole thing has demonstrated once again why ROM updates like this are becoming more and more unpopular amongst certain companies. From Palm's standpoint they probably would have been better off just brushing the 700p under the carpet completely. Now by giving in and trying to fix it they have incurred all of the support costs related to this, the cost of replacing some 700ps, and most likely Sprint's wrath on a product that is 1 year old, not to mention even worse PRPRPR $in$ $an$ $already$ $bad$ $PR$ $situation$.
    really good points ... soiry to say i agree this would eb the last update ...

    I'm happy to say i waited - and will continue to wait - before installing this update. No offense to all of you who have tried first, but I'm not technically savy, so it's time to wait and let you all work out the kinks ...
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by tymerock View Post
    What are you smoking? There are a lot of us that just got strongly huggedby this update. Palm has been claiming for months that the have been doing testing of this rom. Somehow they missed that the third party software install on your treo will brick your treo700. I am out of warranty and sprint say’s it is palm problem. Right now I am without a phone. So before you or anyone else decide to say “responsible of Palm to (a) realize there's a problem within 2 days” think about those who are shucks out of luck.
    I am NOT saying Palm should be forgiven for a defective MR, especially after all this time, and I am not defending them.

    It took them half a year to acknowledge a problem with the 700p, but only a day or two to do so with the MR. That's progress, in one area at least, even if it was the result of Sprint complaining to them. The MR is what it is. At least they didn't wait 6 months to admit the problem and tell us they will fix the MR.

    [Of course, a totally separate issue is whether they will ever re-release the MR. I actually don't think they will.]
  17. #57  
    My 700P is good to go with the MR. By the way, what the hell does MR stand for?
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by bananaphoneman View Post
    My 700P is good to go with the MR. By the way, what the hell does MR stand for?
    MR = Manufacturer's Revision
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by string3599 View Post
    MR = Manufacturer's Revision
    really? i always thought it was maintenence release.
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by waterfrontmgmt View Post
    really? i always thought it was maintenence release.
    Could be that too.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions