Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, after hours upon hours trying to figure out what program was causing my weird crash after the MR update I found out it was FontSmoother 2.07

I have no idea what would cause it to crash the device when you were at the hotsync screen and trying to click the down arrow to change the way you sync, but it did. Everytime I tried to go from BT to Cable/Cradle it crashed.

I basically just started deleting program after another starting from the Letter A and then I would try again. Wait for the reset, try another program, check the hotsync and then repeat.

I got to FonSmoother and no crash.

I tried to find 2.03 but no luck yet.

I had 2.00 hanging around, and it seems to work just fine. Now why 2.07 would crash and not 2.00 is beyond me.

Anyway, if anyone encounters this problem, check FS. I am not sure how many have 2.07 installed or have tried switching from BT to Cable/Cradle, but if you do, this should be the problem. At least it is on my device.

I just cant figure out how it associates it with the hotsync app.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    FYI: v2.08 is available at PalmGear if you want to try that.

I'm using v1.78, and don't see any problems with HotSync. But I'm only using it on Blazer, SnapperMail, and Messaging.

ERic
    Samsung SCH-8500 & Palm m515 --> Treo600 --> Treo650 --> Treo700p --> Epic4G (all on Sprint)
    I performed my SD card MR update after a cradle Hotsync and hard reset. After cradle hotsyncing, FS was missing from the apps page, but there was a leftover installer file I found when v2.07 wouldn't install from an SD card. After deleting it, 2.07 installed and ran normally. Not sure what my previous version # was though.
    I was using 2.0 with no problems and found 2.07 and installed it over 2.0 and had lots of resets. I delete it and went back to 2.0. No problems what so ever on my 755p.

Al
    I am running FontSmother 2.08 for about 2 months though it shows 2.07. No problems with it.

Ben
  6.    #6  
    Well, I had no problems with it either except that one. If I had never tried to tap the down arrow on the hotsync box and try to change the way it syncs, i'd had never had found that reset. For me, it is the ONLY thing it affected.

And like I said, why it would affect the hotsync drop down box is mind boggling.

2.00 has worked so far. I tried 2.08 but when you load it, it says 2.07 so I cant even tell which is which when they are installed. Regardless, it crashes it. Until I can test other versions like 2.06, 2.05, & 2.03, it looks like 2.00 will have to work for now. At least I dont have to use YAHM since you dont need it with 2.00+
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    I've tried FontSmoother 2.08 and 2.09 (a debug version from the developer) and both consistently crash on the HotSync type pulldown menu. In addition I get a crash if I try to view the built-in calendar Month view (Day, Week, Agenda view are okay). Also UninstallManager crashes when you start it up after it counts through all the applications. I've been working with the developer to try and debug this.

v1.78 still works fine under everything I've tried so far.

ERic
    Samsung SCH-8500 & Palm m515 --> Treo600 --> Treo650 --> Treo700p --> Epic4G (all on Sprint)
    Fontsmoother can be dicey. I was having problems with Versamail crashing, and it turned out to be due to not just FS, but one particular font that I had made for FS. When I removed that one font from use, my crashes disappeared. Apparently the fonts can become corrupted. When you are having problems with any app and using FS, it's really easy to turn it off for a bit and retry the app.....

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...d.php?t=142200
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    have to disable it before i do a hotsync...unfortuntely it has been forever since it was updated
    "Yet each man kills the thing he loves, from all let this be heard. Some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word. The coward does it with a kiss the brave man with the sword."
    -- Oscar Wilde
    Thanks for this info -- I was also experiencing this crash and turning off Fontsmoother has resolved the issue. Also, my phone used to crash whenever I would try to open the Treo Preferences (a much bigger problem since I use that more often that changing the menu in Hotsync), and turning off Fontsmoother resolved this problem as well.

The sad thing is that I really miss using Fontsmoother to browse the web (it made Blazer so much better). Turning Fontsmoother on and off each time may be a workaround for now, but not one that I'm willing to live with long term. Can anyone tell me where I can download the old version of Fontsmoother (2.0) that appears to work without causing the crashes?

Thanks!
    Weird. I was using a 15pt Ariel font and tried the Hotsync dropdown and it reset.

When it came back up I changed to one of the 4 provided Fontsmoother fonts, went to Hotsync and tried the dropdown.....no reset.

Went back to the 15pt Ariel, back to Hotsync, dropdown......no reset.

Weird, I can't get it to reset now.
    Quote Originally Posted by alvic51 View Post
    Thanks for this info -- I was also experiencing this crash and turning off Fontsmoother has resolved the issue. Also, my phone used to crash whenever I would try to open the Treo Preferences (a much bigger problem since I use that more often that changing the menu in Hotsync), and turning off Fontsmoother resolved this problem as well.

The sad thing is that I really miss using Fontsmoother to browse the web (it made Blazer so much better). Turning Fontsmoother on and off each time may be a workaround for now, but not one that I'm willing to live with long term. Can anyone tell me where I can download the old version of Fontsmoother (2.0) that appears to work without causing the crashes?

Thanks!
    \
    You can always try using the standard Palm fonts for everything else and just using FS for the Web app....
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    \
    You can always try using the standard Palm fonts for everything else and just using FS for the Web app....
    I was doing that for a while, but it looks like leaving FS on for any app (even if it's only 1) still causes problems. And I've discovered that it's more than just the hotsync menu reset described in this thread -- with FS enabled I also occasionally get resets on incoming calls (obviously a much bigger problem). So unfortunately I've had to turn off FS for now.

Someone was nice enough to send me an older version of FS though (pre-version 2.0, so I'll have to use YAHM with it). I'm hoping that will be a fix.
    FS causes problems for me too. I don't sync, but it seems to mess up my ringtones even though I only have it set for Zlauncher. Sucks. I'm about to try 2.08 & see if that works.
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Could the folks having these problems, especially with the hotsync list, email me (arpruss, at, gmail, dot, com) for some test versions?
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    i too am using 2.08 (shows up as 2.07). i get the same crash when clicking the drop down list. what i have found that prevents the crash is to open the menu and then the connection setup. click done & then i am able to access the drop down list with no crash.

i find that a little easier than turning FS off & then back on.

I hope that helps.

Nick
    I had to completely delete FS. It got to where no matter what version I tried, crashes abounded. Which pisses me off b/c I PAID for the %$#@ program. Ah well, screw it.
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KabukiAssassin View Post
    I had to completely delete FS. It got to where no matter what version I tried, crashes abounded. Which pisses me off b/c I PAID for the %$#@ program. Ah well, screw it.
    I'd be happy to refund your price, of course.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Let me check two things.

1. When you run Hotsync, do the smooth fonts show up, or do you get the standard system fonts?

2. Is there anyone who has the latest Treo 700P update, and who does NOT have the hotsync drop-down list problem? (If everyone has it, then I might just have to buy a 700P for testing.)
    No, that's ok, I used it for a while & feel I got my money's worth. Thanks anyway though, that's very nice of you. I really just want to be able to use it again!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast