1.    #1  

I tried the tethered MR download twice. It indicated that it was complete both times but software version remained 1.08. I'm not going to jump thru the hoops of buying a clean SD card, getting a reader, getting backup software, etc. just to get what should have come with the damned phone.

If Palm can't figure out a functional and user-friendly way for an intermediate-level user, what's the average user going to have to go through? It's as if they still don't really care one way or the other. This is total BS that's making me move to another phone just to avoid doing business with a company with such a cavalier attitude about customer service, especially on a high-end product.

I know that the majority of folks here were ultimately successful in installing the MR and that most of the installations solve most of the problems. I'm glad for you but we shouldn't have to use cumbersome, techie fixes like the SD card method to get all of what we paid for.
    I'm not gonna take it and am looking elsewhere.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Why waste money to buy a new SD card? Read here, step 4
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=143756

BTW, it takes damn long to fishish the 700p SPNT upgrade procedure vs. 680 ATT upgrade.
    Treo Maniac?
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoneBear View Post

I tried the tethered MR download twice. It indicated that it was complete both times but software version remained 1.08. I'm not going to jump thru the hoops of buying a clean SD card, getting a reader, getting backup software, etc. just to get what should have come with the damned phone.

If Palm can't figure out a functional and user-friendly way for an intermediate-level user, what's the average user going to have to go through? It's as if they still don't really care one way or the other. This is total BS that's making me move to another phone just to avoid doing business with a company with such a cavalier attitude about customer service, especially on a high-end product.

I know that the majority of folks here were ultimately successful in installing the MR and that most of the installations solve most of the problems. I'm glad for you but we shouldn't have to use cumbersome, techie fixes like the SD card method to get all of what we paid for.
    I'm not gonna take it and am looking elsewhere.
    i am not a techie and the update seemed pretty simple to me. did you plug your phone into the wall to charge while you updated?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by waterfrontmgmt View Post
    i am not a techie and the update seemed pretty simple to me. did you plug your phone into the wall to charge while you updated?
    The update IS fairly simple and yes, I followed the instructions to the letter (including having it plugged in). There are several others who've had the same problem where the MR didn't "take." There also seems to be an emeging consensus that there's a real variation form phone to phone in a number of issues, including the MR.

Given the number of issues raised by people who are regulars on a fairly techie board, it may be a tad condescending to suggest that some of us overlooked the basics in your defense of a faulty product.
  5.    #5  
    I'm glad, I guess, that at least Palm agrees that the MR is buggy. At the same time, I continue to hope for the best for those of you who successfully installed it by any method and especially for those for whom it actually works as promised.
    I would consider myself an "advanced/power user" but still had problems. The update took for me by USB on the first try without doing anything special, but it put my phone into the endless reset loop when it finished. I broke out of it by doing a hard reset, then restored the data via hotsync.

I suppose this is why the update was pulled from the website. What's funny is it says they've heard "isolated reports" of people getting the reset loop problem. Isolated reports indeed.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    I too tried it on two phones, first one hosed and took it in to get replaced, brand new 700p. I got it to work on the second one, but only after about 2.5 hrs of work.

I got the update to go farther in the cycle with the second phone, all the way to the digitizer, but then it would reset loop. So I did the fix for that by pluggin into wall only and hard reset. This broke the reset loop. I then had a pda only, as the radio/phone was not usable. I tried to do the SD card method at that point, but did not have the file (shucks) so I tried the usb method once more. That time it worked, flawlessly, finished as it should have the first two times, and got my completely refreshed 700p with 1.10 and prl 27 on it.

I am not sure, but some here have wondered whether it was the phone being on that causes the reset loop. I tried it the second time with the phone off, but it still caused the reset loop. Only when the phone was disabled by the update process did the update process work. Strange.

But happy camper now, wife is a little upset about me being up till 1 am, but my phone works great, and BT with my Acura RL hands free link (06) works well. Thats my only BT so I can't comment beyond that regarding BT. Lag seems better overall, but I still get lag when searching for a signal at the hospital (can't fix that). Overall, very happy!