1.    #1  
    I've been doing plenty of research on Kinoma Player 4, but still have a quick question.

1) With Kinoma Player 4, will I be able to go on music websites like cduniverse.com or any music website and play files that support Windows Media Player, etc?

2) Also will Kinoma Player 4 also work with Realplayer videos?

Reply asap. Thanks for the help!

Any answers is welcome.
    cduniverse.com is a yes

realplayer vids is a no
    HTC Touch Pro
    Mobile sized media, yes, Desktop or HD sized Video, No
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by videoscraper View Post
    Mobile sized media, yes, Desktop or HD sized Video, No
    Thanks a lot for the reply's.

Basically I can go on sites like mtv.com, vh1.com or any Music Video site and watch Music videos, and play MP3's, etc.. correct?

What is the maximum Mobile Size Media file I can play?

Thanks.
    Last edited by prodigy215; 06/06/2007 at 05:31 AM.
    I watch full length dvd's converted to avi's with Kinoma.
    Basically I can go on sites like mtv.com, vh1.com or any Music Video site and watch Music videos, and play MP3's, etc.. correct?
    I wouldn't go that far. There are two possible limits. One is the file format - if the site is using Real Audio or Video, then Kinoma won't be able to help you. The other limit is the way the media is implemented on the site. For example, I go to NPR pages sometimes and try to launch the audio for a certain story, and nothing happens, even though the stream is in WMA format. That's because the site is set up to launch a popup window (offering audio format options or some such) in a desktop browser. Blazer can't handle the popups, so I'm SOL.

Also keep in mind that Kinoma isn't like a plugin for a desktop browser, that would enable you to see the video playback or hear the audio while looking at the page in Blazer. Instead you click on a link that launches the separate Kinoma app., which plays the file. Or (depending on the site - e.g. YouTube), you may have to copy the URL for the file (not the page) and paste it into Kinoma.

If you have specific sites you'd like to try, post them and maybe folks can try them and let you know how they work.

Also don't forget that bandwidth is an issue. A lot of stuff that's designed to play in desktop computers connected to DSL or better isn't really going to work over even EVDO connections. If you have a wifi-enabled device, that's another story.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by skydog View Post
    I wouldn't go that far. There are two possible limits. One is the file format - if the site is using Real Audio or Video, then Kinoma won't be able to help you. The other limit is the way the media is implemented on the site. For example, I go to NPR pages sometimes and try to launch the audio for a certain story, and nothing happens, even though the stream is in WMA format. That's because the site is set up to launch a popup window (offering audio format options or some such) in a desktop browser. Blazer can't handle the popups, so I'm SOL.

Also keep in mind that Kinoma isn't like a plugin for a desktop browser, that would enable you to see the video playback or hear the audio while looking at the page in Blazer. Instead you click on a link that launches the separate Kinoma app., which plays the file. Or (depending on the site - e.g. YouTube), you may have to copy the URL for the file (not the page) and paste it into Kinoma.

If you have specific sites you'd like to try, post them and maybe folks can try them and let you know how they work.

Also don't forget that bandwidth is an issue. A lot of stuff that's designed to play in desktop computers connected to DSL or better isn't really going to work over even EVDO connections. If you have a wifi-enabled device, that's another story.
    Oh ok, so sites like mtv.com music videos would not be able to play?

If anyone can try this site out with your treo to see if the videos will work that would be great, it is a Reggae music video site: www.muzikmedia.com

Thanks
    Last edited by prodigy215; 06/06/2007 at 03:40 PM.
    OK, I tried mtv.com. Just going to the main mtv.com directs you to their mobile site, which doesn't have any videos. I tried it from my laptop and got the URL to the videos page (http://www.mtv.com/music/video/). I clicked on one of the videos on my laptop and it took me to a page with the video playing as an embedded Flash video. As I expected, when I tried this on my Treo it didn't work.

www.muzikmedia.com also didn't work, for a different reason - clicking on a video on that site launches a popup window with the video playing in it. Since Blazer doesn't do popups, it's a no-go.

Basically it has a lot to do with the way the sites are set up.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by skydog View Post
    OK, I tried mtv.com. Just going to the main mtv.com directs you to their mobile site, which doesn't have any videos. I tried it from my laptop and got the URL to the videos page (http://www.mtv.com/music/video/). I clicked on one of the videos on my laptop and it took me to a page with the video playing as an embedded Flash video. As I expected, when I tried this on my Treo it didn't work.

www.muzikmedia.com also didn't work, for a different reason - clicking on a video on that site launches a popup window with the video playing in it. Since Blazer doesn't do popups, it's a no-go.

Basically it has a lot to do with the way the sites are set up.
    Oh ok, I understand. Will NetFront or Opera browser or any other Treo browsers have a better chance on working on certain sites, or all browsers are the same?

Thanks for your help.
    You got me there, prodigy - I haven't tried any of the other browsers, so I really don't know what to expect.