Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Dear Palm,

With all the problems of nearly bricked Treos, I am surprised you still have the update available online. Please remove the update until you have a clean install process as you would waste thousands of hours of our resource time with this fiasco. We have over 100 700ps (and ever more 650s) and will not upgrade others until there is a clean method. It is encouraging us to move to Moto Q2 or other WM6 platform and dump Palm forever.

An F500 company.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    My update went fine, as did hundreds of others. If you are the head of an IT department updating these Treos should be pretty easy for you.
    If you are the head of an IT department, you'd be using the SD card
    method, which to my knowledge has gone pretty smoothly for people.

Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite View Post
    Dear Palm,

I am surprised you still have the update available online. Please remove the update until you have a clean install process as you would waste thousands of hours of our resource time with this fiasco.

F500 company.
    dude...grab a clue. the mr has dramatically improved my 700p's performance. bluetooth is night and day difference.

many of the problems incurred are because of user situations and hacks and such. if anything, palm needs better instructions. there is a very simple step that solves most of the "new" bluetooth issues, for example.

to request palm to pull the update is unwise on your part. my update went very smooth...i did NOT use a card...just my desktop.

please step away from your keyboard until you are thinkng more clearly
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    the problem lies in the transition between the initial backup/programming and the rom update....its not always a smooth transition....it sometimes bypasses the rom update and goes straight to a reset and digitizer recalibration....had to do the hard reset/soft reset deal then the rom update started....they should be able to make this a smoother and clean install with a lower percentage of failure........
    "Yet each man kills the thing he loves, from all let this be heard. Some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word. The coward does it with a kiss the brave man with the sword."
    -- Oscar Wilde
  6.    #6  
    We've done a few via SD card method and two failed. Was able to eventually get one working, mine, but we are not continuing until it is a clean install.

There are too many issues. We can't have our users w/out phones even if there are improvements. Their phones work today. Palm needs to update this release - not the ROM, but the install process. I've never seen so many install issues with a Treo release as this. The 650 install process was clean for ever upgrade we did.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    I agree that the update is probably not the problem. The directions need to be more precise. After all, many of the people updating their devices are not techies. I also think that the 1st step should be to sync your device. The second step should be to do a hard reset. the third step should be the update.

Additionally, I would suggest that, where possible, people should do the update via SD card.
  8.    #8  
    Many still have problems with the SD method, including us, who are techies. The issue is not restoring data, it is the install method itself causing the looping reset even if you do nothing wrong. The problem is that we will have to walk remote users who are not techies through the process. That takes a lot of resources and planning. If the phone crashes, they are without a phone until replaced. Not worth the risk for our sales people who rely on the phone.
    Don't you think that a F500 company should send a message directly to Palm, rather than post anonymously to an unofficial message board? Otherwise, they will have no idea if you are truly a representative of said (unnamed) company, or some disgruntled single user.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  10.    #10  
    We have been in contact. I'm posting as an individual to stir things up as this is what we are literally thinking.

Any IT shop with a large install base of 700p phones should think twice before planning to walk off-site non-techie users through the upgrade. If we do roll this out, we'll probably have a couple spare 700p phones on hand for quick replacements if necessary.

Palm should release a new update method that reduces the risk as it is obviously not as clean as the 650 upgrades. We'll wait... If they don't fix this, then we may only upgrade those who have problems.

We are an IT shop that rolls out in-house developed code all the time. If we had these kinds of issues, we'd definitely pull the upgrade. I'm surprised Palm decides to keep this up with all of the issues. They should fix this, not just let it slide by.
    Last edited by xenophonite; 06/05/2007 at 03:30 PM.
    A hard reset prior to the MR update does nothing. I bricked a clean, out-of-the-box 700p yesterday by trying the update. I disagree that Palm should pull the update though, I got a free 755p out of the deal!
    I agree with xeno. After reading the 30 page "It's Here" thread and trying to update 2 different phones (unsucessfully) I can only conclude this is not a simple update to perform, techie or not. It's not as simple as the palm instructions imply nor does it seem that 2 hard reset 700p's will take the update the same way. Palm is brushing this off to save face and show responsivness, IMO.

And this whole pull the battery, soft reset, sing a chant and hope it works routine is like adjusting a precision insturment with a ballpeen...ridiculous.

Show of hands: Who didn't go into this update after reading this message board with a pucker facter of 10??? Who let out a sigh of relief deeper than the grand canyon after their treo showed back up after the update???

Yes, Palm pull the update until we can update our treos without sacrificing a goat to the gods of dumbluck.
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    I agree that the update is probably not the problem. The directions need to be more precise. After all, many of the people updating their devices are not techies. I also think that the 1st step should be to sync your device. The second step should be to do a hard reset. the third step should be the update.

Additionally, I would suggest that, where possible, people should do the update via SD card.
    exactly. i sync'd first, then did a hard reset...then did the update (not via the card, though).

i am very satisfied with the phone now.
    This is all part of the update process. Brick the 700p..replace with 755p.

Mine went ok though i had to do a hard reset. I will also reinstall what was on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoogleNerd View Post
    Yes, Palm pull the update until we can update our treos without sacrificing a goat to the gods of dumbluck.
    you did not give ONE single rason for palm to pull the update. why should they pull it when it has worked for most people?

at least with the update up people have the option. nobody held a gun to your head to make you do the update.

i said before...there need to be better instructions...but i am no techy and it was pretty simple for me...except the new bluetooth option to hit "connect".

jeesh...anyone who reads this forum knows there is some risk...that is enough of a disclaimer. and if it messes up your phone you get a new one....FREE. my word...some of you make this far more complicated than it needs to be.
    We have been in contact. I'm posting as an individual to stir things up as this is what we are literally thinking.

Any IT shop with a large install base of 700p phones should think twice before planning to walk off-site non-techie users through the upgrade. If we do roll this out, we'll probably have a couple spare 700p phones on hand for quick replacements if necessary.

Palm should release a new update method that reduces the risk as it is obviously not as clean as the 650 upgrades. We'll wait... If they don't fix this, then we may only upgrade those who have problems.

We are an IT shop that rolls out in-house developed code all the time. If we had these kinds of issues, we'd definitely pull the upgrade. I'm surprised Palm decides to keep this up with all of the issues. They should fix this, not just let it slide by.
    If you're posting as an individual, then signing it as "F500 company" gives the impression that you're acting as the company's official representative. The surveys of the users here indicate that most users (who I would imagine are not professional IT folks) have been able to update without issue. I would doubt that Palm would take the word of one individual, who is admittedly attempting to "stir things up", at face value when he claims to represent the opinion of a Fortune 500 company.

When my tech department has an issue such as this, they take the much more proactive step of finding the install steps that have been effective (such as many others have posted on this board), replicating them, and creating user-friendly install steps for the non-technologically minded members of the staff to follow. I would certainly not allow them to draw a line in the sand with Palm over my department's inability to install an update that others have been able to install correctly. This is not meant to criticize anyone, but simply to face reality - Palm is not going to pull the update, and if the update is important, than I would think any IT department's goal is to get it out as soon as feasible.
    Last edited by Bujin; 06/05/2007 at 04:12 PM.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    it is rather funny when you think about it...

I want an update!
    Where is my update!
    GIVE ME MY UPDATE!!!
    What the crap is this!! I hate this update!
    Take this update away!!
    What were you thinking you *****!

lol.. poor palm

dont get me wrong.. it has taken a very long time for the update and that is a problem...
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    Dear Palm,

With all the problems of nearly bricked Treos, I am surprised you still have the update available online. Please remove the update until you have a clean install process as you would waste thousands of hours of our resource time with this fiasco. We have over 100 700ps (and ever more 650s) and will not upgrade others until there is a clean method. It is encouraging us to move to Moto Q2 or other WM6 platform and dump Palm forever.

An F500 company.

YOU OFFEND ME!

/sarcastic
    ----

Sprint Treo 700p
    You're right they shouldn't pull the update, I'm just one person who has tried to update following the instructions so my opinion has only a small sample of attempts. But, from what I've seen and read it's a shot in the dark if the update is going to work on your treo. If it does with all the shenanigans, it seems to me from what I've read, to be dumbluck.

After picking up my third treo in 2 days moments ago, and talking to the sprint tech, I'm even further convinced that this is a dumb luck update. She stated about 10 folks had been in the store over the past day getting new treo's. Your right, 10 ppl from one city in Ky is no reason to pull an update but it again only illustrated to me the ad hoc nature of this update. Put it this way, she told me the update is too risky for her to install for customers...to risky for her to install...to risky?????

Granted she is being conservative, but to me if the carrier is not installing their own approved update, what does this say? Ad hoc, dumb luck, half baked???? (Perhaps I off base here too...perhaps Sprint doesn't install updates for customers

And your right there is risk, but with a flaky BT which makes it almost unusable I almost have to update. I'm not making this hard, Palm is...the instructions suck, the installer performs differently on the same hardware(from reading this forum), and the results are unpredictable (from reading this forum).

I'm glad you got updated in the first attempt (25% didn't according to this forum)...WOOT for you, but a forum is no avenue for disclaimers. People count on their treos for business and pleasure. I can imagine xeno sitting in his/her office trying to resuscitate a salespersons treo from across the country who needs a functioning phone to work and having it do stuff that is different from all the other updates he's performed. Treo's aren't toys and borked phones due to software that behaves in a seemingly random manner on equivalent hardware loose people money and time. That makes it as complicated as it can be to Palm, because now their customers are loosing money, sales, and contacts. And the phone may be free but my time is not and I spent about 10 hours on this so far. Which is why I'm going to skip the MR and deal with a half baked phone (well, half baked BT) for another year...and move on. Maybe my brand new Treo's BT will work...

Here's something not complicated for you: The update should perform on equivalent hardware in the same manner. It should have an excellent chance (99%??) of installing on equivalent hardware safely and with only minor disruption. I have this level of expectation due to all the other similar updates I've done for Palm hardware and other computer hardware. If it didn't work 95% of the time on equivalent hardware it should have never been released.

Quote Originally Posted by waterfrontmgmt View Post
    you did not give ONE single rason for palm to pull the update. why should they pull it when it has worked for most people?

at least with the update up people have the option. nobody held a gun to your head to make you do the update.

i said before...there need to be better instructions...but i am no techy and it was pretty simple for me...except the new bluetooth option to hit "connect".

jeesh...anyone who reads this forum knows there is some risk...that is enough of a disclaimer. and if it messes up your phone you get a new one....FREE. my word...some of you make this far more complicated than it needs to be.
    I want them to post the OLD version so we can resort back if we want. For me, I thought it would fix things, only to realize so far i've spent endless hours trying to fix it. Bad luck? Who knows, but if it makes things worse (for some of us) we need a way to go back.

And for me its either find a way to do this by contacting Palm, or tell them its a new phone coming.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast