Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite View Post
    Palm has indeed pulled the upgrade offline...
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...ate/index.html

Wise move but I wonder if they even have a Quality Assurance group. A 2% failure rate would be considered barely acceptable but some QA might approve to move forward. A 5% fail rate would be unthinkable to release. With the appearance of a 20-25% failure rate, I wonder if Palm even has a QA group and if the developers even tested their own code.
    Wow, you think it was 20%? When you say that do you mean that 20% got the endless resets or 20% didn't see any improvements?
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by string3599 View Post
    Wow, you think it was 20%? When you say that do you mean that 20% got the endless resets or 20% didn't see any improvements?

I think the poll around here someplace said that 72% had no problems installing. So one could infer that 28% had a problem. Probably many were simplier issues than bricking the phones. Also who knows if that translates to the general public.

But more than just a couple of posts that people had reset loops is a bit scary (there's maybe scores of posts of reset loops in the big thread)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    According to this poll (http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh....php?t=144615), 72% of folks were able to update their Treos; according to this poll (http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh....php?t=144695), 72% of respondents were glad that they updated; a similar percentage of folks were happy with their Treos even prior to the MR update.

I don't see why Palm is under any obligation to provide roll-back / reversion files in case a small niche market of folks are unhappy with the update.
    Umm... 28% is not "a small niche". Imagine what it would be like if 28% of seatbelts failed in high-speed crashes. Even a 10% failure rate for an update that can brick a device is too high. Were I the head of the company that just acquired 25% of Palm, I would not be pleased; "replacement" units aren't free. Palm's got to be losing $$ over this.
    No yesterday and today Sprint lost $$$$$ over this. Palm will be losing $$$$$$$$ over this sometime in the future when Sprint decides they aren't worth the trouble.
    I think with major updates like this, it's always best to go ahead to fully charge your Treo and do a hard reset once fully charged and before you do the update.
    My update finally worked after I uninstalled Chatter, performed the update & afterwards re-installed chatter.
    FYI
    When mine went into a reset and endless loop, I almost took it back that day when I found out on here to try and take the battery out and plug it in with the USB cable and then try it. Oddly that stopped the reset.

But if 100s of people had that problem as did I, and dont know about TC and can get help on here with all of us nerds, what do you think the will do?

Will they know to take the battery out, and plug in their USB cable to try and stop the reset? What if a program crashes it?

If they spent hours like I did finding out that FontSmoother when working fine before the MR was the culprit in crashing my Treo when I tapped the drop down box in the hotsync, they would go nuts and not even know where to begin.

I know many people who dont even have a FULL back-up of the device. You put these problems on here in the hands of average Joes, and look out, there will be a crisis.

all74, I agree with the seatbelt thing. I almost used that instead of fat kids, but its all the same. That % is a big deal
    Quote Originally Posted by all74 View Post
    Umm... 28% is not "a small niche". Imagine what it would be like if 28% of seatbelts failed in high-speed crashes. Even a 10% failure rate for an update that can brick a device is too high. Were I the head of the company that just acquired 25% of Palm, I would not be pleased; "replacement" units aren't free. Palm's got to be losing $$ over this.
    I totally agree. In my business, if we had a 28% failure rate, well, we simply wouldn't have a business. Heck, even a 1% failure is unacceptable in my biz. Here's another analogy:

You have a car with a spotty radio. The maker offers to fix it for free...but there's a 1 out of 4 chance that your car won't start after the fix.

Uh, no, I don't think so. Still no call from Palm, I may have to call Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by waterfrontmgmt View Post
    dude...grab a clue. the mr has dramatically improved my 700p's performance. bluetooth is night and day difference.

many of the problems incurred are because of user situations and hacks and such. if anything, palm needs better instructions. there is a very simple step that solves most of the "new" bluetooth issues, for example.

to request palm to pull the update is unwise on your part. my update went very smooth...i did NOT use a card...just my desktop.

please step away from your keyboard until you are thinkng more clearly
    No comment from the Waterfront?
    I agree. I had that endless looping all day yesterday myself. I did exactly what you did last night by pulling the battery out and leaving it connected via USB and it stopped. Since I already had orderd another phone, I went and tried the SD MR fix and it is working fine now. I checked the phone version afterwards and I HAVE THE UPDATE INSTALLED. Sprint reps do not have a clue how to fix this problem. Just wanted people to know you can do it and it will un-Brick your Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    I think the poll around here someplace said that 72% had no problems installing. So one could infer that 28% had a problem. Probably many were simplier issues than bricking the phones. Also who knows if that translates to the general public.

But more than just a couple of posts that people had reset loops is a bit scary (there's maybe scores of posts of reset loops in the big thread)
    It would not surprise me it there were more than 28% of the General Public having problems.

1. The instructions were not that great
    2. TC people had this forum to help them understand the best way to install.
    3. In addition to the "brick" there is the reset loop and other weird install issues. It looks like most of these can be gotten around or solved eventually BUT the average user is not going to know how to do this like the TC readers were. Most folks would give up at thel loop or error messeges.
    The MR killed my 700p via SD update the first time, I did it again and it worked... (had to remove battery to get out of reset loop and plug in with no battery)

Make the windows installer work on vista!!!! SD update is a pain! Not to mention some people don't have extra SD cards lying around!
    I am not a stupid person (I know that is a subjective statement isn't it) but I couldn't get the update to work, as it just sent my phone into the reset loop. That was the first night it was out and the info about getting out of the reset loop was not readily availbale at that time.

I got a new phone from sprint and tried again (thats where the "I'm not a stupid person" thing really hits, and you just have to wonder, as my wife did) and got the reset loop again, but was able to get out of it by wall charger + battery out + hard reset...worked. I then tried to update again and it worked.

I now have a very nice machine, brand new, and the update in all its glory. However, it was way too much work for the average user, and I think most non-tech people would just throw the thing back to sprint and say give me another.
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I am in the IT field... so have no problem trying the SD version of update..

I will take the chance.

Please post a link or email me the SD Card Rom upgrade..

Thank you so much,

Wilson

WilsonB(AT)pobox.com
    ============,,,================
    ===========(o o)===============
    =======oOO==(_)==OOo===========
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    Treo650- Sprint custom rom
    Tungsten T3 creative design.
    http://www.WilsonBradley.com
    http://www.myspace.com/wilsonbradley
    AOL screen name; WilsonIsON
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    ========ooooO==Ooooo==========
    =========( )===( )==========
    ==========\ (====) /===========
    ===========\_)==(_/============
    I absolutely agree with them pulling the MR. Whether you installed succesfully the first try using the USB procedure or the SD procedure it was dumb luck. My attempt at the update was via USB after doing a Resco backup and a HARD reset. The procedure hung about 95% from being done. A buddy of mine went with Resco backup, hard reset, and the SD process. He ended up with the rolling reboot.

It's one thing for the update to fail with a 700p with all the stuff we power users install on them (Sling beta, SAG, Articulation, etc) but these procedures should absolutely succeed everytime on a fresh-from-hard-reset like-new-outta-the-box 700p!

I got mine to upgrade after a couple of tries and so did my buddy but we are both Treo 600->650->700p zealots and highly motivated. For most folks (including large IT organizations) this update process is a non-starter and a nightmare.

The MR itself is a beautiful beautiful thing (like the phone itself). My battery drain problems have disappeared (which at various times I blamed on Goodlink sofware or the Sling client), streaming apps work much better (Sling, Kinoma, PTunes, SprintTV, Articulation), delays on app switching have virtually disappeared, bluetooth stability is much improved, and we can now use 8GB SDHC cards (without the hack). Kudos to Palm for both the brilliance of the phone and the great MR!

Unfortunately, they REALLY alienated much of their customer base with the year it took for them to get this out and then the disasterously under-tested install procedure.
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Could someone please psot the name of the SD Update file?

I will try and search for a link.. somewhere..
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    ========ooooO==Ooooo==========
    =========( )===( )==========
    ==========\ (====) /===========
    ===========\_)==(_/============
    Treo700pSprintDesktopUpdater.zip

or

Treo700pSprintDesktopUpdater.exe

no issue with the update here and I ran it on 2 700p's. For me, it was one of the smoothest firmware upgrades ever. Not sure why it was pulled.
  18.    #58  
    ^Because even if it worked perfectly for 95% of users, a 5% failure rate is way way too high - completely unacceptable. Seems like failure rate was much higher than 5%, which puts them in damage control.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilsonb View Post
    Could someone please psot the name of the SD Update file?

I will try and search for a link.. somewhere..
    You can download the file from http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K9ZSEZTI

If you can't, PM me with your email and I'll send you the original SD installer zip file.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    You can download the file from http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K9ZSEZTI

If you can't, PM me with your email and I'll send you the original SD installer zip file.
    Thank you so much....
    Will do the SD install, (heard it had best success rate) and post results.

BTW: do you pay for that megaupload service (premium) ? Is it worth it?

Cheers,
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    MSN; WilsonIsOn