Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
    I want them to post the OLD version so we can resort back if we want. For me, I thought it would fix things, only to realize so far i've spent endless hours trying to fix it. Bad luck? Who knows, but if it makes things worse (for some of us) we need a way to go back.

And for me its either find a way to do this by contacting Palm, or tell them its a new phone coming.
    According to this poll (http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh....php?t=144615), 72% of folks were able to update their Treos; according to this poll (http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh....php?t=144695), 72% of respondents were glad that they updated; a similar percentage of folks were happy with their Treos even prior to the MR update.

I don't see why Palm is under any obligation to provide roll-back / reversion files in case a small niche market of folks are unhappy with the update.
    Last edited by Bujin; 06/05/2007 at 06:14 PM.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Well, one by one each app is getting deleted, and after that, I will do a Hard reset for the 3rd time, then just install Zlauncher and see if it still does the same thing with ONLY that installed. I'll then go one by one. All I know is it is frustrating, and NOTHING seems to be able to tell what is crashing it.

Crash pro didn't log anything
    ##377# did nothing
    Reset doctor sent the device in an endless loop
    Stability test said it was all fine

I wish there was something to diagnose this problem
    Mark me down for a brick. I agree with GoogleNerd that the success rate should be in the 95+% range, not the 70%-90% that the polls here are suggesting. That's just poor QA. I would like to have Bluetooth working since I'm on the road a lot, so I chanced the upgrade. It was very straight forward to me, so I don't know what people were talking about bad instructions. If I remember correctly you just had to do what the USB installer said to do (which amounted to "Plug in device and don't touch it") and click "Next". I had enough sense to do a hotsync (thank God) and do a hard reset before the upgrade, everything looked great until the end when it said it was rebooting my device and it still managed to brick it. I've done a hard reset like 10 times with no luck.

I have a case open with Palm about this and I gave them only two options: 1) send me a 700p with 1.10 already installed since I don't want to deal with this upgrade again or 2) send me a 755p. I'm hoping their customer service is not like their hardware support...but so far it isn't looking good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Gallo View Post
    Mark me down for a brick. I agree with GoogleNerd that the success rate should be in the 95+% range, not the 70%-90% that the polls here are suggesting. That's just poor QA. :
    I would agree with this, except that the critical mass of 700p users don't frequent TC, aren't "power users" and thus likely don't have the issues that many of these boards have perceived, and have almost certainly not ever have heard of this update. The 70-ish satisfaction with the 700p don't reflect the overall customer base that Palm caters to.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    The problem is, wait until it is every where.

I mean I dont think any of us realize this, but i've heard of at least 6 people taking the phones in and getting new ones.

And the week is NOT over, nor do tons have it loaded yet. I think it will be a shock to Palm when they get these calls from stores saying... We need another 700p, or here is another one that is bricked.

If there was the old MR posted, Palm could prevent many devices getting returned.

Oh well, if it means a new one, it means a new one. I'm not Palm
    To say that people are satisfied because they don't know any better is quite disingenuous as a product owner and I hope to Palm. That 75% number is not an overall satisfaction level, just the 60 or so ppl who have updated and reported back here. Now, if 25% "power users" can't update their phones using this forum and Palm's "detailed" instructions then what of the rest of the masses who come across the update? It would be interesting to see the real number of bricks produced by Palm this week with their straightforward software update.
    Hey...

I downloaded the IT Version to a newly formatted SanDisk 2 gig card and updated my Sprint 700p without even using a PC.

I unzipped the updater zip file with RescoExplorer and copied the "PALM" folder to the card root directory and ran the updater with RescoExplorer.

It took 29 minutes to update the rom from start to finish.

Then restored from a previously done backup with RescoBackup.

Bluetooth is way better, little or no skippage with PTunes. The 700p is quicker and is 130 persent faster running a PBench test with the same apps installed.

Thank You Palm.

Even though I had few problems before the update, my Sprint 700p appears better.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Gallo View Post
    It was very straight forward to me, so I don't know what people were talking about bad instructions. :
    it's not so much instruction about the installation...but instruction about new features. there are new menu items in bluetooth...one that you have to hit "connect" at the end of pairing.

i couln't get my car to pair until i read this on te forum...sure enough when i manually hit "connect" it has worked fine ever since.
    Quote Originally Posted by waterfrontmgmt View Post
    it's not so much instruction about the installation...but instruction about new features. there are new menu items in bluetooth...one that you have to hit "connect" at the end of pairing.

i couln't get my car to pair until i read this on te forum...sure enough when i manually hit "connect" it has worked fine ever since.
    Sorry, I misunderstood you. Unfortunately, I'm far less concerned about new features documentation than I am about having an operational phone. I'm going to have to agree with quickstang and GoogleNerd (again) in that if 10-30% of the people on this forum CANNOT update their 700p successfully, then what can we expect of the general public?

Twice Palm tried to tell me that they would send me a new 700p (with 1.08)and that I had to call in to be "walked" thru the update. My response was:

"OK, you are trying to do one of two things: 1) you're trying to convince me that you require everyone of your 700p customers to call in to do the update or 2) tell me I am not intelligent enough to follow instructions that involved clicking "Next". Which are you trying to tell me?"

Both times I got a non-answer. I'm supposed to get a call from a "senior" technical type person within 24 hours. I'm still waiting.
    I feel bad for Sprint because there more then likely going to eat this as T-mobile did on the HP ipaq 6315 some years back.Some will say...hey It's Sprints fault but really not.Sprint Was the First to sell the P...Many of there customers complained that the P was a hunk a junk.Sprint then pushes palm to get the fix needed for there customers.Palm drops The MR bomb on Sprint inturn there customers are paying once more .This Started with Palm P and ended with a so called update thus Palm is the culprit bottom line.
    Looks like you got your wish. It has been pulled from the website.
    Looks like your wish came true.
    Wow. So I hadn't seen this thread yet before I downloaded the update. The zip file on my Mac says that it was created at 8:41pm. They must have taken it down a few minutes after.

Well, the good news is my update seems successful. I used the sd card method and hard reset before installing. No bricking. Only issue I came up with is that the instructions that Palm had (I think step 7 or 8) that says "click the center button for english" or something like that never showed up. In fact it seemed to ask me to do the installation twice. I don't know if that is normal.

Count me as one of the 70+% successes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I would agree with this, except that the critical mass of 700p users don't frequent TC, aren't "power users" and thus likely don't have the issues that many of these boards have perceived, and have almost certainly not ever have heard of this update. The 70-ish satisfaction with the 700p don't reflect the overall customer base that Palm caters to.
    Have you ever wondered how that critical mass of 700P users deal with the random resets and BT issues???

For the technical minded out there, is there a possibility that there are hardware differences between the various 700P's that would cause the diversity of outcomes with the MR. I'm still trying to get my arms around why there are so many issues with this phone. Why some people have no problems and others have many, often with the same sets of third party software.

b.b.
    I installed it on phones at our company. Using the tethered method on all of them. Worked just fine, had to re provision them, and some reinstalls of some programs. Phones seem like new phones. No resets, lags, just works of art.....
    Matty
    What luck! Lousy luck, that is. I got time to do the update on my 700p only minutes before it was pulled, apparently. I installed update version 1.10.

Anyway, I followed the instructions, but I did a HotSync before I started. Very fortunate. The screen prompt said it would take about 30 minutes. It took 39, but at the end of it, the 'puter announced everything was fine and I could now disconnect the Treo and it would reboot itself. Did it ever! Continuous reboot loop. Very festive. I suffered through about 20 of those and decided it wouldn't ever quit, and then factory reset the dude. That's calmed it down - no more reboots in the last hour. I HotSync'd again to restore all my stuff, and so far it's - well, I better not say lest I tempt the Gremlins.

Whew! I need the thing to work tomorrow, as I'm going out of town. If I'd read this forum before I did the update, I'd've waited till after tomorrow to do it.

Jay
    Jay Gross
    TreoCentral writer
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Sprint Treo 650, drowned Sprint Treo 700P, Treo 700w, and a crimson Treo 680 (yeah!), plus a red Centro
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    This is all part of the update process. Brick the 700p..replace with 755p.

made me LAUGH OUT LOUD. Hard and long.

that's a great line!

Quote Originally Posted by string3599 View Post
    Looks like you got your wish. It has been pulled from the website.
    It wasn't really a wish but validation that this MR is/was half baked! Personally I'm back where I started with a "stable" 1.08 treo (after 3 tries) minus my time.
    I had successful upgrade today(SD method and hard reset prior and i voted in both polls quoter earlier) I really only had 1 problem before the MR and that was bluetooth caller id issue with my car kit and the MR fixed that.

I also think that Palm PRPRPR $people$ $should$ $be$ $fired$ $over$ $this$ $fiasco$, $even$ $forgetting$ $that$ $it$ $took$ $a$ $year$ $for$ $an$ $update$, $the$ $communication$ $to$ $the$ $customers$ $is$ $horrendous$. $Why$ $is$ $Verizon$ $ROM$ $delayed$? $What$ $happened$ $last$ $week$ $to$ $cause$ $Sprint$ $delay$? $How$ $is$ $it$ $possible$ $that$ $Sprint$ $actually$ $certified$ $something$ $which$ $seems$ $to$ $be$ $only$ $70$-$80$% $effective$. $What$ $exactly$ $are$ $the$ $official$ $problems$ $that$ $Palm$ &$quot$;$fixed$&$quot$; $with$ $this$ $MR$? $Why$ $was$ $there$ $no$ $Beta$ $program$ $for$ $people$ $who$ $had$ $issues$ ? $Is$ $there$ $going$ $to$ $be$ $further$ $development$ $on$ $this$ $platform$ ? $I$ $am$ $also$ $starting$ $to$ $believe$ $that$ $there$ $must$ $be$ $some$ $hardware$ $differences$ $between$ $phones$. $Would$ $love$ $to$ $hear$ $Palm$'$s$ $explanation$ $for$ $this$. $I$ $am$ $a$ $high$ $level$ $tech$ $guy$ $for$ $an$ $F500$ $company$ $too$, $and$ $i$ $know$ $that$ $when$ $i$ $write$ $directions$ $for$ $the$ $device$ $upgrade$ $it$ $will$ $work$ $the$ $same$ $way$ $on$ $the$ $same$ $hardware$.
  20.    #40  
    Palm has indeed pulled the upgrade offline...
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...ate/index.html

Wise move but I wonder if they even have a Quality Assurance group. A 2% failure rate would be considered barely acceptable but some QA might approve to move forward. A 5% fail rate would be unthinkable to release. With the appearance of a 20-25% failure rate, I wonder if Palm even has a QA group and if the developers even tested their own code.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast