1.    #1  
    Has anyone else lost the email envelope on the home screen that tells you there is new email?
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Yes, this is norml. That seemed to be one way Palm was able to speed up the phone app. It is the same way on the treo 755.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
  3.    #3  
    Wow... I liked that little envelope. I assume there is no way to get it back. Someone must come up with a hack to get my little golden envelope back! it made my heart pitter patter with joy at the anticipation of new mail.
    I'm with you. I lost my unread e-mail indicator for Business connect and it sucks. Now I only know I have messages waiting if I happen to go into that app.
  5.    #5  
    Until the hack, and I am confident there will be one, I have my LED set to blink fast to alert me of new email.
    The problem for me is that I use Snappermail to automatically check email once an hour, but not to bother me with an all-out notification. I preferred to check the Phone application to see if I had any new SMS messages, voicemails or emails. Now I have to check both the phone AND Snappermail.
    Palm tech support told me that the rumor that removing it sped up the phone app was false. They said it was a bug. Let's hope they fix it.
    Quote Originally Posted by fireman50 View Post
    Let's hope they fix it.
    You're joking, right? I'm sure they will get right on that...

It took them a year to train the monkeys that spit out the last update... And we all saw how that went.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    I have been given insight that the envelope was one of the main contributers to the lag issue. That's the reason the 680 and 755 don't have this feature. Hence the MR not having this feature also.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by theecigarman View Post
    I have been given insight that the envelope was one of the main contributers to the lag issue. That's the reason the 680 and 755 don't have this feature. Hence the MR not having this feature also.
    I cannot believe a little evelope can lead to a lag...
    Hmm, I'm not sure which makes me feel worse:

A. Palm admitted they released a bug and did not catch it.
    -or-
    B. Palm had to remove the icon to speed up the phone app.

well what happened was that a Palm employee was "dispatched" with each treo purchased.. He follows you around and gets paged when you get new mail... Your phone freezes until he gets a chance to set a flag which shows the icon. But he only sets the flag when you aren't looking at the treo... They found that it was more cost effective to just demote the palm employee (who was also a developer... which is why everything has been taking so long) to straight coding and just hide the icon....

Thats actually how Merlyn was caught... his Independently Dispatched Indicator On the Treo (or ***** Man for short) Man saw that he had the treo before it was suppose to be out there.
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    After trying TAKEphONE, it seems to me Palm could implement their Email notification icon in the same way:

Show the phone display first, the icons are always there.
    Delay while checking for number of waiting messages.

Just my 2 cents.
    well what happened is that a Palm employee was "dispatched" with each treo purchased.. He follows you around and gets paged when you get new mail... Your phone freezes until he gets a chance to set a flag which shows the icon. But he only sets the flag when you aren't looking at the treo... They found that it was more cost effective to just demote the palm employee (who was also a developer... which is why everything has been taking so long) to straight coding and just hide the icon....

Thats actually how Merlyn was caught... his Independently Dispatched Indicator On the Treo (or ***** Man for short) Man saw that he had the treo before it was suppose to be out there.
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen001 View Post
    I cannot believe a little evelope can lead to a lag...
    It's not the envelope, it's the hardware that is faulty. Apparently the lag is caused while reading the palm code. Remember that the 700p was adapted to run palm os instead of WM5.

The apparent answer was to remove the code for the MR.

Palm's motto: If it's broke, don't fix it.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by theecigarman View Post
    The apparent answer was to remove the code for the MR.
    I found this strange too... "Instead of fixing the problem, let's just remove a useful feature that highlights the issue"...

I don't see any speed improvement now that it's gone, but I do miss having the e-mail notification...
    Do what I did, send them a fax detailing your dislpeasure.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fireman50 View Post
    Do what I did, send them a fax detailing your dislpeasure.
    Or do what I did. Vote with your wallet. It is really your most powerful tool, and it will tell Plam what you really think. Do I think 50 or 60 sales lost will send a message? No, but remember, I know 10 people, they each know 10 people.................................

Eventually they will realize our "vote".
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p