1.    #1  
    I too am a victim of the endless reset loop. I am not a firecracker when it comes to many technical issues. I've read where some have attempted to assist in addressing the problem but the the tech speak is throwing me off. If there is a proven way to get the phone out of the loop, could you please post it here?

I apologize in advance if you feel you're repeating yourself but since the MR's release this board reads like frantic ants running around with sugar cubes.

Some one mentioned taking out the battery and simply using the USB cable. Well when I do that my phone cuts off. I originally installed the update using the USB cable and the wall charger. The phone seemed to work fine. I noticed the CDMA updater and chose to update. It took a while but the phone said this occurred successfully. I noticed the phone (not the device) was off. I attempted to turn it on and the phone reset itself. Now every time I attempt to turn on the phone feature on, the phone resets.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    See if the instructions posted in the MR thread post #543 work for you:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=543

Hopefully you have your data backed up.
    Samsung SCH-8500 & Palm m515 --> Treo600 --> Treo650 --> Treo700p --> Epic4G (all on Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Prince View Post
    I too am a victim of the endless reset loop. I am not a firecracker when it comes to many technical issues. I've read where some have attempted to assist in addressing the problem but the the tech speak is throwing me off. If there is a proven way to get the phone out of the loop, could you please post it here?

I apologize in advance if you feel you're repeating yourself but since the MR's release this board reads like frantic ants running around with sugar cubes.

Some one mentioned taking out the battery and simply using the USB cable. Well when I do that my phone cuts off. I originally installed the update using the USB cable and the wall charger. The phone seemed to work fine. I noticed the CDMA updater and chose to update. It took a while but the phone said this occurred successfully. I noticed the phone (not the device) was off. I attempted to turn it on and the phone reset itself. Now every time I attempt to turn on the phone feature on, the phone resets.
    Your phone is fried. I just took mine in. Same problem!
  4.    #4  
    I think you may be right. Warm nor Hard resets do anything. The phone feature remains off. I am never prompted about "erasing all data". This sucks.
    I think you may be right. Warm nor Hard resets do anything. The phone feature remains off. I am never prompted about "erasing all data". This sucks.
    I am not prompted either.
    Take it back
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaisermo View Post
    I am not prompted either.
    Take it back
    I wish it were that easy. The nearest repair center is 40 minutes from me and I called and they have no more Treos. I would be without a phone during the repair.

Thanks to all who tried. This phone issues has exhausted me to no end. Owning a cell phone has never been this difficult and complicated for me. I need a drink.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    I thought it wasn't working either but, be persistent press and hold up+power+reset hole. I had to do it several times and it finally worked...it will stop the reset hole but your phone will still be unusable unless you do the "card method" for the upgrade.

Then make sure and do the card method (no Hotsync cable at all) you need a card reader thou
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    I thought it wasn't working either but, be persistent press and hold up+power+reset hole. I had to do it several times and it finally worked...it will stop the reset hole but your phone will still be unusable unless you do the "card method" for the upgrade.
    What should be occurring after this happens? Should I get the prompt to erase all data?? If so, I don't get that prompt. The phone basically reboots. And again, the phone feature is off. When I attempt to turn it on, the loops begins.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    make sure to press and up+hold+reset hole all at the same time. It worked for me. It just made the reset loop stop. I dont think I got the erase all screen but I cant remember.
    I was stuck in the reset loop and took it to a store and they couldnt stop it either. After messing around with it, I took out the battery and ran off of the wall charger (Youll get a phone is about to shutdown countdown so stick in the battery at this point). You may not get it the first time but keep trying until you eventually get it to where the reset loop stops and the phone is OFF (if you try and turn it on the reset loop will startup again)

1. hotsync it under the new username "Temporary"
    2. perform a hard reset
    3. hotsync Temporary's data back into the phone
    4. Your phone should now be stable enough to where you can try the card method, so insert the card and let it do the rest

Be patient and this should work. The hard part is getting it to where the phone is not resetting and it is OFF. But once you're there, if you follow those steps, you should be fine.
    Be sure to try a soft and hard reset. My phone required a hard reset to get out of the loop.

To clarify:

Soft reset=up + reset button. no data is cleared but it runs in "safe mode"

Hard reset=power + reset button. After you release the power button you should get the erase all data prompt. Say yes, and if your phone works then you can sync to restore all your data.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Just because you're in a reset loop doesn't mean your phone is "fried".

As Migs pointed out, try warm resets and/or hard resets (assuming you have your info backed up), until you get out of the loop. Also, deselect the auto time zone crap on the startup prompt to keep the phone from connecting to the network. From there, you should be able to install from either card or USB (USB only assuming you did a hard reset based on my experience).

I think it may be prudent advice in the future for people to do a hard reset before doing the MR (assuming they have a reliable backup to restore from after the MR) - my bet is the problems are being caused by 3rd party software being incompatible with the MR. I got in to a reset loop, and after getting out, I did a hard reset to have a "clean" treo, and it took less than 31mins for the MR.

Edit: Hard reset PLUS phone turned off prior to MR is what worked well for me (and appears common with a number of others).
    Last edited by airjoe; 06/05/2007 at 02:19 PM.
    What should be occurring after this happens? Should I get the prompt to erase all data?? If so, I don't get that prompt. The phone basically reboots. And again, the phone feature is off. When I attempt to turn it on, the loops begins.
    Dont try to turn the phone back on, if youve got the phone app up and the phone wont turn on, the update didnt complete.

Once you get to the phone app, do the SD card install.

Hope this helps and if its redundant I apologize.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    For endless loop issue, this worked for me...

- Take battery out
    - Power only with USB or wall adapter
    - Soft reset
    - Do the digitizer setup

Should take you back to the phone screen with phone off. If not, try a hard reset and then the above. Ensure you are on 1.10 by checking Options->Phone Info. If not 1.10, reinstall update with the phone in OFF state but with battery installed.
    Last edited by xenophonite; 06/05/2007 at 01:30 PM.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    Dont try to turn the phone back on, if youve got the phone app up and the phone wont turn on, the update didnt complete.

Once you get to the phone app, do the SD card install.

Hope this helps and if its redundant I apologize.
    Not redundant at all. Very clear and to the point.

With that said. I followed this advice. The phone is still in a reset loop, however the loop begins with the reset then asking me to "use the stylus to tap center of target". Once I do that, the "phone on" tone sounds (with Sprint logo) and then resets all over.
  16.    #16  
    Also. Do I leave the SD card with the update on it in the device after it installs? Because after the phone resets it does the reinstall all over again.
  17.    #17  
    to everyone who's contributed to this thread and many others. Many of you had your treos up and running with little or no problems and quickly moved on to helping others like myself. I appreciate the advice and ideas. No palm/sprint customer rep or tech support rep has helped me as much as the folks here on this forum.

I used the techniques above over and over and finally I got my treo up and running. Could never have done it without the support of the forum members. Thank you.
    to everyone who's contributed to this thread and many others. Many of you had your treos up and running with little or no problems and quickly moved on to helping others like myself. I appreciate the advice and ideas. No palm/sprint customer rep or tech support rep has helped me as much as the folks here on this forum.

I used the techniques above over and over and finally I got my treo up and running. Could never have done it without the support of the forum members. Thank you.

Youre welcome its why I keep coming back. I learn new chyt all the time and I feel good passing on what Ive learned as well.
    There is no spoon.
    Oh and BTW I had to learn that myself. (how to get it out of that wicked bad reset loop) I started my install last night around 11 or so, and I didnt go to bed until it was finished finally around 3am.

Mine kept resetting no matter what I tried, and I kept getting to the phone app, thinking I was good to go, when as we all have found out, I wasnt. I finally pulled out of the flat spin and got to the SD card install method.
    There is no spoon.