Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Every once in a while I will go to launch a game from my SD card & receive a message that there is not enough memory to run the game. (the last time this happened I had a bunch of little video's I had taken, which after deleted, didn't receive this message). I think I understand that even though a program may be stored on the card - when it's launched, it needs to load into regular memory to run? Is that right? In any case - is there any program out there that will help to clean out files that aren't needed perhaps? Clean it up a bit so to speak? I think I've read that ZLauncher will allow you to move "locked" apps to the card? I had Zlauncher at 1 point but deleted it - just too much going on - I don't really want the launcher etc ... is there something out there that works in that way? Thx!
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I personally haven't used this (I use zLauncher) but this is an option
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Soft reset is what I have to do at times to clear out some space on the 650. I am hesitant to try to customize the rom.
    First of all, how much ram do you have left? Do you have something that tells you, like Filez? Second, delete your Blazer cache. Third, if you have Docs to Go, use the Dataviz tool to move most of the files to the card. If you get something like ZLaucher or another launcher, it is much easier to move and run things from your card. Some people have more than a hundred programs on their 650, mostly on their card.
    search the board for a program named reset doctor... it a nice lil app that let's you manually clear your db cache... you can have 15mb's free on your 650, but if you db cache is full you will still get memory errors...
    HTC Touch Pro
  6.    #6  
    OK - I have cleared the Blazer Cache (it was fairly small to begin with) .. I left the cookies for now but can delete those too - I don't browse the web very often.

Looking thru FileZ at my RAM - it says I have - FREE RAM = 1835008 bytes.

I often do soft resets. I do have Docs to Go & have used the tech tool - all of my docs (and there aren't many) are on my card - pretty sure the program itself stays internal though, right?

I will check out Reset Doctor & perhaps I will also add ZLauncher back on just to manage apps on cards, etc.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie K View Post
    I do have Docs to Go & have used the tech tool - all of my docs (and there aren't many) are on my card - pretty sure the program itself stays internal though, right?
    Nope, if you select "Move Program to Card" or something along those lines, it will move most if not all of Docs To Go Program files to the card. I went from 3.7 MB free to 7.8 MB free.
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
  8.    #8  
    ok - so I downloaded & reinstalled the Tech Tool - launched it & then told it to "Move applications to card" it told me there was some data or part of the program already on the card & asked if it should write over it - I said yes! I had 1.8 M free yesterday I think (not free RAM) but now I have 4.1M - improvement! I find the Doc To Go icon still shows on my Internal program list & not my Card - but hey, what do I care, as long as I have more free! I use DestallerLite & look at that sometimes just to see what shows on the card vs. internal & this shows Docs To Go app as on internal memory - strange?!

thanks for the rec though!
    Docs 2 Go leaves a little stub in RAM, even after you use the tool to move it.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    I had a lot of problems using the tech tool in DTG. I would often lose docs after editing them and moving them back to the card. You should look into customizing your ROM...

PowerRun also moves apps back and forth to the card without all the fluff of ZLauncher.
    A bit to add in on this. A good third party launcher provides the best solution to the need for more space. There are some really good ones out there that work well. The application in one of the above links, Card Launcher, does a good job also and is well supported if you just want to move things to the card, but not as well as that done by ZLauncher, Initiate, et cetera. I personally prefer ZLauncher and that is because I like to customize bunches of things - and the customization offered by ZLauncher does cost me a bit of RAM. The same basic results can be had with Initiate, LauncherX, et cetera.

As for clearing the DB cache - Reset Doctor excels at that. The problem with executing a soft reset to clear the DB cache is that a soft reset loads everything again and the DB cache fills up with what is loaded at the time the device is reset or booted. An application like Reset Doctor clears the DB cache and nothing is reloaded automagically.

Now, the 700p ROM update results in my DB cache getting full a bit faster. I have Reset Doctor set to clear the DB cache at 4mb. The 650 I have is set to clear at 3MB.

Doing it automagically versus monitoring the state of the DB cache is more efficient. However, due to its implimentation, crap may happen.

If you are much below 3mb free, then you really need to look seriously at house cleaning, a third party launcher to clear the device memory, or even step up to a device with more memory.

Ben
    Never knew that about the DB cache and the soft reset. I am holding steady at 2.6 mb because I have a huge movie database in my ram that takes forever to load from a card. I am so afraid to customize the rom and bricking my phone, and yes I am a techie guy.
    As long as you don't change your partition size, I'd say that customizing your ROM is very safe, actually. Just read and follow the instructions. You can always change it back if you want.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Tony,
    I do have insurance on the phone, and in a few short months am able to upgrade. I may give it a shot.
    Cadman, If you do what Tony says and follow the instructions, it's really pretty easy and well worth it.
  16.    #16  
    I've installed Initiate & Reset Doctor & will play around with them! Thanks for the recs! (looked around but didn't see an answer - can Reset Dr be installed on card? I'm guessing Initiate can't but not sure bout Dr.)

thx!
    Initiate is a good program. I used to used ZLauncher, which is also a good program, but I like Initiate better. With it, you can easily move programs to your card or delete programs and the associated files easily. You can also set up a skin so you have a clean looking screen.
  18.    #18  
    Well, Initiate seems pretty nice. Unfortunately I just got thrown into a reset loop & a warm reset wouldn't help that much so I went to my NVBackup & restored to 2 days ago.

My initial reason for trying Initiate was to more efficiently move stuff to the card & save some memory. I thought maybe it would let me move things to the card that I otherwise couldn't on the normal Palm OS? Maybe i'm confused. How can I use initiate to save memory? Every app that I'm ABLE to move to my card, I have! Backup saved me - whew! Thank god for NV Backup! Gotta reload Rescue Dr & I guess Initiate again !
    Both have to be in main memory in order to work properly.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Julie K View Post
    I've installed Initiate & Reset Doctor & will play around with them! Thanks for the recs! (looked around but didn't see an answer - can Reset Dr be installed on card? I'm guessing Initiate can't but not sure bout Dr.)

thx!
    One thing about Initiate, did you download the beta version, or the stable version. You could also try ZLauncher, but it is a bit more complicated because of multiple files to install and it takes more space in ram.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast