1.    #1  
    Kinda glad Sprint Treo 700ps were the "sacrificial lamb" in this MR release! Just kidding . . . sorry for all the pain many of you have and are experiencing.

Question is . . . when will VZW release ours? I may not be the first to try it after reading all these horror stories. In fact, my Treo 700p is working well enough that I may pass altogether on this MR update!

Another question: If you install the MR is there a way to "go back" or back it out if you decide it causes more problems than it solves?
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
    does not matter when. if you read all the problems it created they can keep the MR. thanks Sprint folks for testing
    You cannot back out the firmware update, unless you get the original firmware installation.
    When they mentioned the tentative date of the MR I stated that when it is released I hope they provide a method of backing it off in case it caused more trouble than before.
    I was criticized for complaining about something that hadn't occurred yet.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    i was anxiously awaiting the MR for my vzw 700p.... now i am not so sure- really. I figure 1/2 of the whiners are making crap up just to get a "new treo" and the other 1/2 may be right.
    i am thinking of dumping my 700p and going for a krzr and a life drive (yeah i know 2 things instead of 1) but 2 things that do stuff really well instead of 1 thing that does nothing really well
    just my .02 worth
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafafoooey View Post
    You cannot back out the firmware update, unless you get the original firmware installation.

Where can I get the original firmware installation for verizon?
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    aside from the phone firmware- couldn't you just copy the old versions of the palm stuff to ram and it would use that?
    Quote Originally Posted by mwindsor82 View Post
    Where can I get the original firmware installation for verizon?
    doubt you can get it from anywhere, other than Palm. doubt they would be willing to give that out.
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    aside from the phone firmware- couldn't you just copy the old versions of the palm stuff to ram and it would use that?
    no, firmware update changes the ROM. copying would just write to RAM. not the same.
    I suppose that the issues some users are finding have been detected by Verizon in their QC testing as well? Maybe the VZW release will have less issues?

Just the optimistic side of the coin.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    no, firmware update changes the ROM. copying would just write to RAM. not the same.
    I know that- but dont programs in RAM "override" what's in rom? Or does it check for version numbers?

Say you have version 1 of a file on the original rom.
    then you install version 2 with the MR into rom and it messes you up.
    Can't you just copy version 1 back into ram and the device will use that?

Of course if you hard reset you have to copy it back to the device.
  12.    #12  
    The ROM of a PC is the BIOS, which at power on provides initial instructions to the CPU. Same is true for a smartphone or PDA. The ROM provides lower level, first instructions. Doesn't have anything to do per se with what's in RAM.

You may be thinking of Flash ROM which contains the built-in apps and loss of power protection of your data. That is not what the MR reprograms. It does indeed "flash" the ROM (reburn it), but it's a different sector of ROM similar to BIOS.
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
  13.    #13  
    Here's the quoted response I got back from Verizon Wireless regarding the MR release:
    Dear John,

Thank you for contacting our Verizon Wireless website. We are happy to assist you with your question in regards to the Treo 700p Palm Maintenance Release.

Verizon Wireless is continuing to test the Palm Maintenance Release for use with the Verizon Treo 700p. We are committed to providing the very latest in products and services. At this time, we are unable to state when the Treo 700p Palm Maintenance Release will be offered to Verizon Wireless customers. We understand and apologize for any frustration regarding this but we are only able to provide information regarding products or services that we are currently offering. We are unable to disclose any unconfirmed information because it would be subject to change and could raise expectations that may not be met.

If you would like to receive e-mail updates regarding new products and services, please click on "Sign up for email updates" from the "Support" tab located at the top of our www.verizonwireless.com homepage.

We value your business and appreciate the opportunity to continue as your wireless service provider. Thank you for using Verizon Wireless products and services. If you have further questions or concerns, please write to us again through www.VerizonWireless.com.

Sincerely,
    Name withheld
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I just gave up, jumped to the Curve -BB 8300... will let the Verizon contract run out next month. Bye Treo. Love the Curve so far!
    Any program that is in RAM will override any program that is in the ROM (where the PalmOS and built in applications are stored).

There is no version number checking involved.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Any program that is in RAM will override any program that is in the ROM (where the PalmOS and built in applications are stored).

There is no version number checking involved.
    thanks for the confirmation.

so all we need is someone with an updated sprint 700p to post the contents of the rom (just like the 755p rom is floating around)
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Holy smoke!
    the sprint folks really were beta testing it for us.

check of the sprint thread- PALM just PULLED it from the website due to all the issues with installation.
    I wonder how much of the problem is due to the carriers or Palm being so reluctant to issue MR's in fear people may use the process to hack the ROM. Shadowmite and others were able to allow custom ROM's for the 650, and since then it seems they are trying to make it harder to do (changing the bootloader procedure, or whatever). Now it's become so difficult, that even legit updating is fraught with problems. When an update happens, some jump in and make cusom roms and such for 680's, and already the 700P's?

I don't have a 700P, but regret not DLing it in case I buy one, now I may be SOL.
    I'm sure someone here has it, so when it is out, it is out.
    Talk about closing the barn door after the horse has escaped the barn...
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!