Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 127
  1. #81  
    Sheesh, I shoulda thought of that.
    I'll try it next time!!
  2. #82  
    I had some time over the weekend to install & run PalmInternals on my 700p to see what's slowing it down. To my surprise, Xtndr boosted my speed test by 67 seconds! I am only using it for the Launch Pad, not the Info Pop-up or special characters. I realize some apps run this way, just hoping you might be able to reduce the hede hit!
  3.    #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    I had some time over the weekend to install & run PalmInternals on my 700p to see what's slowing it down. To my surprise, Xtndr boosted my speed test by 67 seconds!
    Unfortunately, Xtndr can’t get away with filtering only (virtual) keydown events (using sysNotifyVirtualCharHandlingEvent), because the Palm OS absurdly does not let all keys through to this notification. Furthermore, due to non-existant official support for ARM notification handlers, implementing these can be rather challenging. I due, however, continue improving this system hook.
    And, by the way, a slowdown of 67 seconds with the 10,000 keydown events, that Palm Internals enqueues for its benchmark test really isn’t that bad. It means that the Palm OS spends 0.0067 more seconds per press of a button or key (roughly said). That’s really out of the scope of what any human being can perceive, isn’t it?
    Xtndr
    Steroids for Your Treo.
  4. #84  
    If it has to be that way, it has to be that way, I wouldn't ditch Xtndr even if it was a bigger problem. 0.0067 isn't too long, I'll blink an extra time or something.
    Thanks
  5.    #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    If it has to be that way, it has to be that way …
    As I said, I’m trying to improve this as mutch as possible, but then Access and Palm, Inc. really give you a hard time doing so.
    Xtndr
    Steroids for Your Treo.
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfrinn View Post
    ...And, by the way, a slowdown of 67 seconds with the 10,000 keydown events...
    It's not just keydown events, but every event. Even a "score" of 67 can make the device feel very sluggish. Not to mention that a higher value can lead to resets - more events are probably being enqueued by the handler - when time critical operations (a phone call, maybe) are being handled.
    Game over!
  7.    #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    It's not just keydown events, but every event. Even a "score" of 67 can make the device feel very sluggish. Not to mention that a higher value can lead to resets …
    You’re wrong in almost everything you wrote in the above quoted – The extra resources Xtndr consumes are very little and therefor Xtndr is far from causing resets or anything else troublesome by hooking into sysNotifyEventDequeuedEvent. Less than seven milliseconds per keydown event and even less per every other event is nothing. You see, the slowdown is 67 seconds with keydown events only. Other events are skipped at a much earlier stage, significantly decreasing the slowdown. I guess I know my code better than you do, don’t I?
    Xtndr
    Steroids for Your Treo.
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfrinn View Post
    You’re wrong in almost everything you wrote in the above quoted – The extra resources Xtndr consumes are very little and therefor Xtndr is far from causing resets or anything else troublesome by hooking into sysNotifyEventDequeuedEvent. Less than seven milliseconds per keydown event and even less per every other event is nothing. You see, the slowdown is 67 seconds with keydown events only. Other events are skipped at a much earlier stage, significantly decreasing the slowdown. I guess I know my code better than you do, don’t I?
    I wasn't commenting on your code or application architecture. I was commenting on 'hede' in general. To be sure, I did not imply that Xtndr caused resets. I've tried Xtndr, and it did not reset my 650.
  9.    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    I wasn't commenting on your code or application architecture. I was commenting on 'hede' in general.
    Then the misunderstanding was on my part …
    Xtndr
    Steroids for Your Treo.
  10.    #90  
    Version 1.5.2 of Xtndr is now available. This version includes some bugfixes as well as new features: You can set the time to show the time as an analogue clock in the info pop-up.

    This latest release can either be downloaded at http://en.bloo7.com/xtndr or directly using the Check for Updates command in the Options menu of Xtndr.

    As usual, I appreciate any feedback!
    Xtndr
    Steroids for Your Treo.
  11.    #91  
    Version 1.5.3 of Xtndr is now available. This version includes bugfixes and is thus recommended for all users. The Launch Pad preferences are now saved properly and the info pop-up should now replace the Keyguard more reliably.

    This latest release can either be downloaded at http://en.bloo7.com/xtndr or directly using the Check for Updates command in the Options menu of Xtndr.
    Xtndr
    Steroids for Your Treo.
  12. #92  
    I haven't used Xtndr in some time, and thought I'd give the new version a try. Palm Internals shows a time of 244 with Xtndr enabled versus disabled. Not sure what changed that increased the speed test time, thought I'd share.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
  13.    #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    I haven't used Xtndr in some time, and thought I'd give the new version a try. Palm Internals shows a time of 244 with Xtndr enabled versus disabled. Not sure what changed that increased the speed test time, thought I'd share.
    Im constantly working on those routines, so such highly sensitive tests will always vary (more or less significantly) between versions. But the result you got there is still far from perceivable. And it won’t affect your battery runtime in any perceivable way either.
    You might get better results with the best version – but why would that even matter?
    Xtndr
    Steroids for Your Treo.
  14.    #94  
    Version 1.5.4 of Xtndr mostly contains bug fixes but some new features are in their, too.
    If you press a key in the Special Characters preferences view, the corresponding mapping will be selected (provieded there is one). Also, if you press the Alt key when entering text, but there is only one alternative defined, then this alternative is inserted without showing the list of alternatives.
    This version also includes some changes to the way the keyguard is replaced.

    As always this release of Xtndr can either be downloaded at http://en.bloo7.com/xtndr or directly using the Check for Updates command in the Options menu of Xtndr.

    Note for potential customers: In the recent past some people had problems when purchasing a license through PalmGear/PocketGear.com due to several errors on their side. PalmGear/PocketGear.com even failed to contact me for two weeks, leaving the customers in frustration. I’d like to encourage you to make your purchase directly at http://en.bloo7.com/xtndr as this will guarantee fast and reliable processing.
    Xtndr
    Steroids for Your Treo.
  15. #95  
    Ulfrinn,

    Nice application. I am trying it right now. I mainly like it for the alt character functions. I have been looking for something like this for a while as I need to put in Icelandic characters and it usually is an effort to bring up a character map to find the right one I need. So thank you for this app.

    I would like to make a couple of remarks as feedback. First, maybe you should add more info or perhaps key words on your web page about language localization or alternative symbols for other languages. I've been searching on Google for something like this, but it never found xtndr. As you know there are a lot of people out there using there treos with English localization settings but need to email or list contacts with non-English characters. I think you could make a lot of sales with language localizations or scientific characters. Luckily for me, I was curious about your steroids title, previously I was using Teikei DA.

    Second can you add a way to bring up the available characters when editing the list? When I edit and try to add a new character, I have to go out of the app to copy the character I need to the clipboard. Do you think you could add mathematical symbols or does it need to just be in the default character map of the treo?

    thanks
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

    Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
  16.    #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    I would like to make a couple of remarks as feedback. First, maybe you should add more info or perhaps key words on your web page about language localization or alternative symbols for other languages.
    You have a point there, I’ll update the product pages as soon as possible. I really hadn’t thought about that so much.

    Second can you add a way to bring up the available characters when editing the list? When I edit and try to add a new character, I have to go out of the app to copy the character I need to the clipboard. Do you think you could add mathematical symbols or does it need to just be in the default character map of the treo?
    If I understand you correctly, you would like a list of all supported characters to be included in the Edit Alternative dialog so you can insert them into an alternatives – I’ve just put that on my to-do list, and this will probably surely make it into the next release.

    As for the possibility of inserting characters not supported by the Palm OS codepage, this is not likely to be included in Xtndr. The Palm OS codepage does support some more characters than you’d normally see (like a limited number fraction symbols, for instance), but adding to that would require a whole ton of system functions to be rewritten. To see the whole list of supported characters per font, try AsciiChart. I’ve been using that program myself for some years.

    P. S.: Interestingly, I’ve originally created the special characters feature, because I was upset of not being able to enter Danish/Norwegian Ø and Icelandic Ð/ð.
    Xtndr
    Steroids for Your Treo.
  17. #97  
    small world, thanks for the quick reply.

    I forgot one thing. Can you add an English purchase page on your website or a link to paypal in English? Maybe it's because of my current location in Iceland, but it's giving me a German page. Unfortunately, I don't speak German.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

    Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
  18.    #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    I forgot one thing. Can you add an English purchase page on your website or a link to paypal in English? Maybe it's because of my current location in Iceland, but it's giving me a German page. Unfortunately, I don't speak German.
    No problem, it’s already there: Just click the UK flag in the top right of the page or follow this link. Just scroll down to »Purchase Xtndr« and there you go.
    Xtndr
    Steroids for Your Treo.
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfrinn View Post
    No problem, it’s already there: Just click the UK flag in the top right of the page or follow this link. Just scroll down to »Purchase Xtndr« and there you go.
    That's what I did and it gives me German.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

    Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
  20.    #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    That's what I did and it gives me German.
    Even when you follow the link, I’ve given? That’s strange, what a minute—I’ll see, why that happens.
    Xtndr
    Steroids for Your Treo.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions