1.    #1  
    I'm a lifelong PalmOS user (700p right now, of course) sadly considering a switch to a BB 8830. Can anyone who has experience with both OSes tell me about how painful it will be to migrate my data? I have a couple thousand contacts, a few years of calendar dates, and memos--lots of those and very important. I never use To-Do's. The most important app for me is the Contacts as I use it frequently and have years worth of them with lots of notes. Will I be hating life if I make the change? How well does it all sync up to the PC? Overall, how do you feel about the BB software vs. Palm?
    Quote Originally Posted by danspalmone View Post
    I'm a lifelong PalmOS user (700p right now, of course) sadly considering a switch to a BB 8830. Can anyone who has experience with both OSes tell me about how painful it will be to migrate my data? I have a couple thousand contacts, a few years of calendar dates, and memos--lots of those and very important. I never use To-Do's. The most important app for me is the Contacts as I use it frequently and have years worth of them with lots of notes. Will I be hating life if I make the change? How well does it all sync up to the PC? Overall, how do you feel about the BB software vs. Palm?
    BB's Desktop Manager has a tool to migrate your pim data from Palm desktop to your berry. From the people I've talked to, the whole process sounds pretty painless.

Personally, I love the BB ui and would take it over POS any day of the week. Stability is just so nice once you experience it. Of course, I'm in the minority here so, my suggestion would be to get the 8830 and try it out for a couple of weeks. If you don't like it, return it and never look back.
    my big issue over making the switch is datebk. i depend on it VERY much...i us constant remeinders...daily...weekly, monthly, etc.

what isthe bb calander like and can you get 3rd party software like datebk on abb?
    I'm starting to think along the same lines (switching from the 700p to the BB 8830) .... on Sprint so will have to wait a bit ... word is July for the 8830. But realistically - more into the Fall/September range (opinion)
    I dumped my POS 700p last month for a VZW 8703e BB. As soon as the 8830 came out I picked that up.

The BB was never designed as an organizer and you can see it from the first second you use it. The calendar, memopad, & to do list are terrible. That being said, I would never consider another Treo for sheer reliability reasons. My BB has been rock solid and instant email is amazing.

BB comes with Intellisync which syncs with most PIMs including Outlook, Lotus, ACT, etc. You can import from Palm Desktop but you can't actively sync with it, so if you use Palm Desktop as your PIM you'll need to switch to something like Outlook. Syncing is pretty straight forward beyond that.

I noticed a few things so far. One of my contacts has three addresses, Home, Business, and Beach House. My BB only displays the first two even though Outlook and the Palm showed all three. I can't seem to get it to display the third Addy...so if most of your contacts have more then two, that might be something to consider.

Erik

EDIT: My data migrated perfectly from Palm Desktop to Outlook to the BB.