1.    #1  

I've followed the threads fairly carefully and can't decide whether it's worth it to attempt the MR right now. It seems pretty hit-and-miss as to whether it's a boon or a bane. I know that expecting a tweak from Palm that'll get it REALLY right is like hoping the Iranians will become Baptists,

I'd appreciate some thoughts about whether to take the plunge or take the walk to another phone that works right the first time.

Thanks...
    just do it. countless others have already, sheesh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafafoooey View Post
    just do it. countless others have already, sheesh.
    So if everyone else jumped off the Brooklyn Bridge.....

I'm not going there. Not yet. My only problem has been the skipping Ptunes. I rarely use BT and when I do, it always works. I have no significant lag at all. Why should I risk multiple reset loops, a screwed up digitizer, or a bricked phone so the music doesn't skip as much (since it apparently still skips)? Will need a lot more info before I take the plunge.
    I am not taking the plunge at all. Have been in the High tech industry since "79". Learned one thing in all these years. If it works don't try and fix it. My 700p has work flawlessly since I bought it 1 year ago. I am a power user. I have a lot of software loaded. Use BT. Am I going to upgrade with the MR. No Way. Why mess it up if you are happy.
    New Treo 700P Sprint User
    Old Treo 600 Sprint User
    If you do apply the MR please follow the directions from Palm to the letter exactly. I think people that don't are perhaps the ones having issues.

Also keep in mind sometimes people that complain are the most vocal. so you're hearing about problems not successes.

I didn't have any issues.
    Palm Professional -> Palm III-> Sprint Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Sprint Handspring Treo 300 -> Sprint Handspring Treo 600 -> Sprint Treo 650 -> Sprint Treo 700p
    Further, if you HAVE an SD card, do it by the SD card method:

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...installsd.html

It seems that most who've had "problems" have had them doing it via the
    USB method.

Jim
  7.    #7  
    I TRIED to take the plunge but it didn't take-- ended up with same software ID (1.08) that I started with. Don;t have an SD card reader. This is frustrating beyond words.

What now, Coach??
    Thanks...
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoneBear View Post
    I TRIED to take the plunge but it didn't take-- ended up with same software ID (1.08) that I started with. Don;t have an SD card reader. This is frustrating beyond words.

What now, Coach??
    Thanks...
    Download the trial of Card Reader or Card Export II? Copy over the stuff that you need and then run the update?

As for me the update went smooth I used the Hotsync USB method, after doing a two backups and a hard reset.
    I had no issues when doing my update from the card, and the device is much snappier and bluetooth is way better. I'd say go for it, just back everything up, do the upgrade using the card method, and then restore. I used Backupman and everything went quite smooth.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    I gained nothing appreciable with this update; however, I had no problems before the update. If I were aware of the final result, I would not have done the update.

Ben
    Glad I didn't try. What did I learn from this? I don't care what they put out, I'm not jumping on the boat right away. At least I have a functional device today, and the MR has been pulled. These people don't seem to know what they're doing. Given the Palm blog comments prior to the MR, you'd think they would put some resources into at least testing the thing. My 700P is great; maybe luck, but I'm not leaning toward any more risks.
    Like I said. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. It will be interesting to see what steps palm and sprint take now. What a mess.
    Old Treo 600 Sprint User
    It doesnt have to be broke for you to improve it!
    From all the rhetoric that I have read on the posts. The updates have caused a lot of problems, in almost 30% of the cases. Lets see a couple of problems with the phone, vs. a 30% chance that it might brick. seems like a no brainer to me.
    Old Treo 600 Sprint User
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo View Post
    Like I said. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. It will be interesting to see what steps palm and sprint take now. What a mess.
    My update went very smooth with no problems to speak off; the only significant improvement of real value to me (and my reason to update) is the improved Bluetooth functionality, the rest is so minor it may not be a compeling reson to "take the plunge" for those with good Bluetooth service.

If ain't broke don't fix it - perhaps the best advise for the moment...
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Well, for me, the PTunes upgrade was worth it to me. Mine never skips now, and before it would skip if I breathed on it wrong.
    If you are somewhat tech savvy, know the Palm platform well enough and having issues with lag, Bluetooth etc, then go for it. This was a beta release in my opinion; Palm did not fully test this version of their update fully and released it prematurely.

On the other hand, the Treo owners really jumped on the update path w/o thinking twice. When will these guys learn, anything that comes out of Palm HQ is never bug-free initially. So stop the complaining, you beta testers really brought this on yourself.

One thing to note from reading success stories, do a clean install by moving the installer to the SD card.
    Quote Originally Posted by cha0s View Post
    ...This was a beta release in my opinion; Palm did not fully test this version of their update fully and released it prematurely...
    ROFL...Beta version MR to update the beta-ROM on our phones...

Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo