Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm a lifelong PalmOS user (700p right now, of course) sadly considering a switch to a BB 8830. Can anyone who has experience with both OSes tell me about how painful it will be to migrate my data? I have a couple thousand contacts, a few years of calendar dates, and memos--lots of those and very important. I never use To-Do's. The most important app for me is the Contacts as I use it frequently and have years worth of them with lots of notes. Will I be hating life if I make the change? How well does it all sync up to the PC? Overall, how do you feel about the BB software vs. Palm?
    I know that syncing your 700P to Outlook using the Palm conduit, then syncing your Blackberry to Outlook using the BB software would be the easiest way. Blackberrys are just different. The OS is more stable, but the lack of touchscreen would turn off some people. I have both, BB for work, and I have no problem with the BB navigation and the phone book is not bad. I have the 8700c on Cingular, so the look and feel is kinda old compared to the Palm address book, but I was able to get used to it.

I would suggest that you purchase one and use it for the 30 day return period. But put some effort into getting used to it, as if you could not return it, and then that would be a good test of how you would live with it.
  3.    #3  
    I use the beloved Palm Desktop, not Outlook (which I hate.) Does that change much in your analysis? When I tried switching to Outlook last year, it screwed with most of my contacts, for the worse. It didn't translate the phone number lables right and it substituted area codes formats with (xxx) instead of what I use, xxx-. I love the simplicity of the Palm Desktop and hate the overkill of Outlook. Plus I'll never understand Outlooks lack of active scrolling. That's my biggest complaint about it.
    There's nothing sad about wanting to switch to a bb. I left the POS/WM world 3 mos ago and love it. The PIM on the bb is rather basic, but I've gotten used to no colors, icons, bells, whistles, and am content with the PIM b/c the device is rock solid. Do I prefer the appearence of Datebk6 or Pocket Informant - absolutely, but I don't miss the instability of the OS'.
    I used a BB 8703e for a couple of weeks while waiting for my new 755p. Transferring contacts was a pain; datebook/calendar was impossible.

On the PC, BB supports only Outlook, Lotus Notes, and a few other enterprise-level programs. If you're using Palm Desktop, you'll need to export your contacts, clean them up (because PD uses a really strange format), then import them into Outlook (which I hate, too.)

Forget syncing with anything open source like Thunderbird or (for the calendar) Sunbird. Interestingly, options on the Mac are actually a little better.
    I don't understand why ppl have a problem with instability in the 700p. All the programs I need to use, and what you'd probably need to use in a business setting, at the least, will work flawlessly. SORRY for those who want to run Ptunes in the background, while downloading a file from some website using Blazer, and then popping out to play some Gameboy ROM game. Go get to a computer if you want to do all that quickly.

BB internet costs twice as much to run a month as does the Palm Power Vision internet. Why do you want to switch to pay more, almost 20 bucks more a month!

Touchscreen is a big reason for not switching. It's not gimmick or just some people being used to something and not wanting to change. Touchscreen is a big positive mark on the interface and ergonomics factor. GPS programs are heavily benefitted in user confidence and quickness by use of a touchscreen. Web browsing, for me atleast, is much quicker by use of my stylus than when I just tool around with the buttons. Sometimes if I have the time, riding the bus to work, I'll use the buttons, but for the most part stylus comes out and helps alot.

Not knocking the BB entirely, its just that people who started on each of these platforms will back up their own platform all the way, but thats OK. That means both are good units and have their individual merits. I say stick with the Palm. The new patch did my 700p a doozy, and now its fast as ever. I was thinking of getting the new Sprint 8830, but now that I got this thing running fast again, I think I'm reconsidering.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bananaphoneman View Post
    I don't understand why ppl have a problem with instability in the 700p. All the programs I need to use, and what you'd probably need to use in a business setting, at the least, will work flawlessly. SORRY for those who want to run Ptunes in the background, while downloading a file from some website using Blazer, and then popping out to play some Gameboy ROM game. Go get to a computer if you want to do all that quickly.
    If that was what I was doing when my phone froze then I'd agree with you. However, when my phone randomly resets itself when answering or trying to make a phone call or sometimes just sitting idle with nothing running then it's hard to agree with that. I'm sure there is some combination of variance in devices and applications loaded that is causing others to reset and not yours.

BB internet costs twice as much to run a month as does the Palm Power Vision internet. Why do you want to switch to pay more, almost 20 bucks more a month!
    To get a solid, stable device that just works?

Touchscreen is a big reason for not switching. It's not gimmick or just some people being used to something and not wanting to change. Touchscreen is a big positive mark on the interface and ergonomics factor. GPS programs are heavily benefitted in user confidence and quickness by use of a touchscreen. Web browsing, for me atleast, is much quicker by use of my stylus than when I just tool around with the buttons. Sometimes if I have the time, riding the bus to work, I'll use the buttons, but for the most part stylus comes out and helps alot.
    That certainly is subjective. What is good for you doesn't mean it is good for someone else. I have used a GSP program on a Q before and it worked just fine.

Not knocking the BB entirely, its just that people who started on each of these platforms will back up their own platform all the way, but thats OK. That means both are good units and have their individual merits. I say stick with the Palm. The new patch did my 700p a doozy, and now its fast as ever. I was thinking of getting the new Sprint 8830, but now that I got this thing running fast again, I think I'm reconsidering.
    I'm on Verizon and just stuck waiting and hoping that someday I'll get an update that stabilizes my Trea.
    Quote Originally Posted by richpjr View Post
    If that was what I was doing when my phone froze then I'd agree with you. However, when my phone randomly resets itself when answering or trying to make a phone call or sometimes just sitting idle with nothing running then it's hard to agree with that. I'm sure there is some combination of variance in devices and applications loaded that is causing others to reset and not yours.

To get a solid, stable device that just works?

That certainly is subjective. What is good for you doesn't mean it is good for someone else. I have used a GSP program on a Q before and it worked just fine.

I'm on Verizon and just stuck waiting and hoping that someday I'll get an update that stabilizes my Trea.

Hope you get that Treo fixed soon, man. Yeah I know its subjective the touchscreen issue, but in my case I like it, after using both with and without. Its also subjective my opinion based on what apps I run and what everyone else runs.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Hope you get that Treo fixed soon, man. Yeah I know its subjective the touchscreen issue, but in my case I like it, after using both with and without. Its also subjective my opinion based on what apps I run and what everyone else runs.
    Don't get me wrong - I prefer a touchscreen myself. But it really wasn't that hard to use the Q without it - too bad there were too many other things wrong with that device.
    I never thought I could give up the touch screen. I have used almost every version of Palm PDA, through the Treo 650 and 700p. I got sick of phone lag issues, delays in hanging up, delays in calls dialing, and the random white screen of paralysis. There are differences between the 700P and BB 8830. Each person needs to assess these differences to what they are looking for in a device. For me the following were things I required which I used frequently:

- Needed rock solid phone with great reception - 8830 wins hands down
    - Wanted bluetooth 2.0, wanted voice dialing through bluetooth - 8830 wins hands down
    - Needed better battery life - 8830 wins
    - RSS Reader - 8830 edges out Treo - 8830 uses FreeRang
    - solid contact management - tie - both pretty basic
    - calendar (PIM) - tie - both pretty basic

Been using Beyond411 on the 8830. It blows the doors of DA. Beyond411 is also a free application.

I have been using the 8830 for a week. During this time there were no lockups. Also, after a full days use of data and phone calls, I still had power left. Usually at least 50%

Also the size factor is much thinner, with no protruding antenna. Setting up email on the blackberry was the easiest thing I have ever done. Not sure how the can figure out all your server setting by just giving them your email address and password.

The track ball is awesome. I have gotten quickly accustomed to it. I like it much better than the scroll wheel. It is fast and allows for easy 1 handed use.

I could go on and on. While it can't run all the programs that the Treo can, it does the basic extremely well.
    Last edited by justleft; 06/13/2007 at 07:28 PM.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by justleft View Post
    I never thought I could give up the touch screen. I have used almost every version of Palm PDA, through the Treo 650 and 700p. I got sick of phone lag issues, delays in hanging up, delays in calls dialing, and the random white screen of paralysis. There are differences between the 700P and BB 8830. Each person needs to assess these differences to what they are looking for in a device. For me the following were things I required which I used frequently:

- Needed rock solid phone with great reception - 8840 wins hands down
    - Wanted bluetooth 2.0, wanted voice dialing through bluetooth - 8830 wins hands down
    - Needed better battery life - 8839 wins
    - RSS Reader - 8830 edges out Treo - 883o uses FreeRang
    - solid contact management - tie - both pretty basic
    - calendar (PIM) - tie - both pretty basic

Been using Beyond411 on the 8830. It blows the doors of DA. Beyond411 is also a free application.

I have been using the 8830 for a week. During this time there were no lockups. Also, after a full days use of data and phone calls, I still had power left. Usually at least 50%

Also the size factor is much thinner, with no protruding antenna. Setting up email on the blackberry was the easiest thing I have ever done. Not sure how the can figure out all your server setting by just giving them your email address and password.

The track ball is awesome. I have gotten quickly accustomed to it. I like it much better than the scroll wheel. It is fast and allows for easy 1 handed use.

I could go on and on. While it can't run all the programs that the Treo can, it does the basic extremely well.

how's the browsing on that?

Does it synch your contacts,calendar, todo's and email subfolders? Can you get public folder contacts? (those are the basics with goodlink- does BB synch anything besides that with exhange?)

is there a pile of 3rd party add-ons like for treo's?

Can you aim me to a forum for BB like this one for treo's?

For now I'm happy with my 700p using goodlink but I am curious what the other side has.

Is it possible to use the GSM part of the 8830 in america?
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    How many BB's do you own Justleft?
    Let's see, 8840, 8830, 8839, 883o

Sorry, had to.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kimknapp View Post

Sorry, had to.

it's like he cut and past into excel- when it tries to hlep you out by counting along for you.

Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    BlackberryForums.com seems to be pretty good.
    http://crackberry.com/ is another good one
    Have fun paying $20 bucks more a month for internet. That's $240 more a year, I rather spend that on something else and not have Sprint get more money out of me than they already steal.
    You got me there! I just saw my post and was amazed at how many typos I had. I had been up for 24 hours straight on a business trip and it sure showed by my typing. Oh well... BTW, I own two!

Quote Originally Posted by kimknapp View Post

Sorry, had to.
    I am on Verizon, so there is no difference on their bb and data plans. Yes, I know, being with Verizon is much more expensive than Sprint. I had 5 lines with Sprint for over 6 years. Got sick and tired of their crappy coverage in the areas I traveled, their billing errors, and their attitude. For example, one of the 5 phones I had with Sprint stopped working. Sprint would not give me a loaner, told me I had to send it back to the manufacturer even though it was still under warranty. I had the same issue with a Verizon phone, brought it in and they gave me another one on the spot. Phone was 10 months old.

I am with you on not giving Sprint a dime more than you would have to. I choose to give them nothing.

Have fun paying $20 bucks more a month for internet. That's $240 more a year, I rather spend that on something else and not have Sprint get more money out of me than they already steal.
    Here goes:

1. I use a mac and sync to my address book on the mac. I have an office bb that syncs ota to Notes. It is flawless. The 700P on the other hand had issues with syncing to certain appointments on Notes. And the 700P would not sync ota - I know you can do this with goodlink, but never used that software. Not supported by my company. I would have jumped at the chance to use goodlink - just never had the chance. Address book portability to a BB from a Treo can be a challenge.

2. I have found excellent apps on the bb, but it really depends on what you are looking for. Apps for the bb tend to be more expensive. Best free app I have found on the bb - berry411 - hands down the best phone nbr lookup tool I have seen on any platorm. Like DA with a beautiful interface.

3. There is an excellent forum, much like this one for blackberries. It is http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com - I think you will find it very comparable.

4. My understanding is that GSM is locked out in the US. Treat this as a rumor though, because I don't have the SIM card yet.

5. The browser on the bb8830 is excellent. It renders pages faster than my Treo ever did. I can also switch back and forth between the browser, phone and other apps quickly. There are no lags.

I really like the 8830. That said, I have not decided if I will keep this device. Jury is still out for me. I am not done shaking it out. One item of question for me is how much memory is really available on the 8830. I have been burning up the blackberryforums trying to get an answer to this question. Right now though, it seems to be short on memory. Sort of like the situation with the Treo650. I have a number of posts in that forum on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    how's the browsing on that?

Does it synch your contacts,calendar, todo's and email subfolders? Can you get public folder contacts? (those are the basics with goodlink- does BB synch anything besides that with exhange?)

is there a pile of 3rd party add-ons like for treo's?

For now I'm happy with my 700p using goodlink but I am curious what the other side has.

Is it possible to use the GSM part of the 8830 in america?
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I have been thinking about switching my wife's 650 for the BB8830. Are you guys saying that it won't just work with the PCS vision premium pack?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast