1. CRK
    I was using my Treo tonight, and i plugged in the wired earpiece. I was disconnected some minutes later, and ever since, I haven't been able to hear anyones voice, nor can they hear me. If i plug the earpiece in, i can hear the person on the other end, but they can't hear me. Speakerphone is not an option, as the phone thinks that the earpiece is plugged in. So, I can't use the phone. I performed several long, soft resets and one hard reset. I then updated with the new ROM update.. still, no luck. I've also tried reinserting the earpiece while/before/after attempting to talk on the phone. I have plenty of signal, am at home where it has always worked, am not experiencing "giberrish" and I have tried calling to and from different phones. Nothing has worked. Not sure what to do. Any ideas?
    I have been through exactly the same problem and tried all your solutions above. I eventually took my last treo back to a palmstore and they swapped it over BUT...

it happened again on my next treo. I was on a call with the earpiece and pulled ut out by accidnet DURING A CALL. all of a sudden the other side coulsnt hear me. if I did a redial I didn't see the speakerphone on/off toggle. I figured it was time to return another but what seemed to fix it was getting an INCOMING CALL and then plugging in and then removing the earpiece.

no idea why it fixed it.
    Had it on my 680 as well. But in smaller measure. I just fiddle with the jack and it seems to connect / reconnect after a bit. Strange. It's almost as if it's controlled by software.
    Patrick Horne
    I had to go through three 680s to get one that hasn't failed--but that's because I also spent big bucks to get a bluetooth headset and SAG, so that I don't use the jack. The jack is notoriously defective and, were it not Palm, it would be amazing that they persist in using a known defect--but this is Palm.

You can try using the "Headcold" which solves some, but not all, of this problems. I was able to use the phone, at least, with Headcold, but it didn't fix it completely. It's a good temporary patch while you're waiting for a new phone.
    http://public.www.planetmirror.com/p...d/headcold.prc

But the idea of trying to fix this at different stages of a call, or any operation, is just misplaced. This is a hardware issue--the jack is broken.
  5. CRK
    wow! thanks.. that did the trick, mdavis! You're a life saver, at least until my replacement 680 comes.
    I'm really happy you're happy. This phone can make people worse than miserable, which seems rather perverse when it is we who are paying the $400 for it, and Palm treats us (and, perhaps most sadly, their product) like crap.
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Note to self: throw away headphone jack when you get home. Don't use headphones with your Treo!
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I had the same problem. Unfortunately while trying the fix the problem by inserting the wired earpiece, the tip of my Seido 2-in 1 headset broke off inside the jack. The phone was replaced.
    I didn't realize the earpiece jack is primarily plastic.
    I wonder if it makes a difference, what headset is used?
    That's easier said than done. I can use my bluetooth in most places--but not easily in a plane, which is the place I probably would most like to listen to music.
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    That's easier said than done. I can use my bluetooth in most places--but not easily in a plane, which is the place I probably would most like to listen to music.
    So this is hit or miss as to if it may fail? How long does it usually take before it fails?
    I don't think there's any answer to that. I never had the problem with my 650 while plenty of other people did; then I had three in a row with the new 680. I suppose it could show up any time but it seems to me it's more likely to happen soon rather than later--but I could easily be wrong.
    I had the problem reoccur - this is my 6th 680! 3 have had this problem. looking bac, I realisethat in all 3 cases the problem started while I had a Seidio extended battery installed. so I swapped to a regular Palm battery and the problem dissappeared! I can't prove this is the case, but I tried EVERYTHING including soft and hard resets. I have a feeling it isnt just a hardware problem but can't prove it. anyone else have this issue when a Seidio is installed?
    You can pretty much prove it with a hard reset. But you can also prove it if you take the phone apart and physically work on the jack.
    well I've now gotten teh %(*$ headphone jack problem..went to the gym with the treo fro music..everything's fine... tried to make a call an hr later...nada! I've tried resets, volumecare bypass - nopthing works!! Going to try that headcold file mdavis linked too (praying as I'm not even IN the states to trade this piece of junk headphone jack in)!!
    Are all of you using the stereo/microphone headsets with the 3 black bands on them that came with the phone? I'm almost afraid to try mine now.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    I don't think it has anything to do with the plug. It's the jack in the 680 that's the culprit. It's made of something close to aluminum foil and falls apart unpredictably. I try to use my bluetooth whenever I can but in fact I've been using the jack for the last few days and I know it could fail at any moment.
    Well after an entire day with my palm pilot (it wasn't a phone was it!) I went home and put my headphones back in - voila sound...wiggled it around a bit before I took it out and then used volumecare's headphone bypass for extra measure - it's finally working like a phone again.

I will NOT be using ANY wired headphone accessories again! Not sure if the jack fixed itself or if volumecare's bypass did the trick (though it wasn't working until I fiddled with the jack physically) but I'm not going to change anything right now!
    Wow, I thought it was just me. I've owned a 600, 650, 700p, and now 3 680's which continue to have sound problems and, quite frankly, I'd say overall quality problems. My current one crackles in my ear.

I love the Treo and particularly Blackberry Connect. I gotta say, though, that the newer sleeker blackberry's really have me wondering if the Treo's about out of my arsenal.

That would be too bad as the UI and organization in the Palm is still superior.

Anybody know if there's a Palm emulator for Blackberry??

- Doug
    Yep. My 680 has exhibited some of the same voodoo. Wiggling the headphone jack causes it to come on and off. Strange. It's almost as if software controls the toggle for the sound and not the hardware.

I listen to MP3s mostly and have the issue sometimes when connecting or disconnecting.
    Patrick Horne
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy View Post
    I had the problem reoccur - this is my 6th 680! 3 have had this problem. looking bac, I realisethat in all 3 cases the problem started while I had a Seidio extended battery installed. so I swapped to a regular Palm battery and the problem dissappeared! I can't prove this is the case, but I tried EVERYTHING including soft and hard resets. I have a feeling it isnt just a hardware problem but can't prove it. anyone else have this issue when a Seidio is installed?
    I tried a Seidio 1300 mAh battery, froze my Treo repeatedly - reset the clock to odd time etc. Contacted Seidio for an RMA. They CALLED me - said the problem was Palm's and would be fixed by applying the recent update. I finally did the ROM update and it did indeed fix the problem. Have been regularly using the Seidio battery with no problem for the a week now.
    Nokia 6340+(M100-> M130)->Treo600->Treo680