Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    {edited}
    Ok...well here is some more information after doing some more testing that I have found out:

My buddy also has a 700p and he has installed the 1.10 MR and is seeing the exact same behavior that I have described in my posts here. What is appears to be affecting is a 700p with the 1.10 firmware in a 1xRTT connection (not EVDO) and where the phone tries to use/stay connected to the network. (i.e. with Chatter IMAP, constant browser surfing, etc.) In an EVDO area the phone network connection appears to be stable.

He is going to call Palm and also Sprint and will inquire about totally resetting the PV account to see if that helps, but I think we may have found some common denominators to reproduce the issue. Anyone else able to repeat this in a 1xRTT area with 1.10 installed? Basically we just reset the phone and let it come back up, let Chatter connect to the internet and watched the phone. It was less than two minutes before we started a cycle of disconnects and reconnects of the network that occurred about once every minute and a half.

My new phone from Palm with 1.08 in the exact same situation (and also my old phone before the 1.10 update) does not do the disconnect -> reconnect thing. But with 1.10 on the phone it is reconnect city in the situation I described here.
    Last edited by peridoc; 06/26/2007 at 10:25 AM.
    That seems to match what I observe with my phone. I wasn't aware it was EVDO specific. What is the easiest way to tell if you are on the high-speed network?
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    In the data icon indication area above the signal strength indicator:

1xRTT = Two arrows (going left and right) that change from grey to green with activity.

EVDO = Two triangles (going up and down) that change from grey to blue with activity.
    It does not have anything to do with 1xRTT. All my PV dropouts were in EV-DO areas. The MR changes your phone as far as your provisioning. You have to call Treo support at Sprint, and have them end date your existing codes, and setup the new ones. You will lose your existing Sprint PCS email address as well. Afterwards, you have to hard reset, as On Demand will not recognize your phone.
    Matty
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Ok. We will call Sprint and try to get them to do this procedure to his PV account and re-set it back up from scratch and then test to see if that corrects the issue. I will report back here with what we find out.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Well, I have totally reset the PV account as matty032 instructed and now have a new vision username and went through all the steps with Sprint to get that set up again. Once completed, I have done some more testing and I am still experiencing the exact same problem.

When a Treo 700p with the 1.10 firmware is in 1xRTT data mode the phone will disconnect from the network and reconnect repeatedly. When the same phone is in an EVDO area this behavior is not experienced. When a phone with 1.08 firmware is placed in the exact same situation as the 1.10 phone in the 1xRTT area this does not happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by peridoc View Post
    Well, I have totally reset the PV account as matty032 instructed and now have a new vision username and went through all the steps with Sprint to get that set up again. Once completed, I have done some more testing and I am still experiencing the exact same problem.

When a Treo 700p with the 1.10 firmware is in 1xRTT data mode the phone will disconnect from the network and reconnect repeatedly. When the same phone is in an EVDO area this behavior is not experienced. When a phone with 1.08 firmware is placed in the exact same situation as the 1.10 phone in the 1xRTT area this does not happen.

Sounds like you need to replace the phone, dude. After they destroyed me in the system, I have had only 2 (no good reason) PV drops, that weren't due to lack of signal. They seem to occur in the same spot on the road, so in my case it just may be a certain tower, I'm hitting. The difference between your case and mine, was all the constant dropouts were in EV-DO area, not 1X. As a matter of fact, I have not traveled to a 1X area, except when roaming. Make them change your phone. Also, if you re-provisioned the phone AFTER, they reset you in your end, the problem will come back..
    Matty
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    We did not reprovision the phone after they reset PV in the system. Weird thing is that I saw this on my original phone after I upgraded the firmware and I complained about it to Palm in which I got a new phone from them on 1.08. Now my buddy (with a different phone) upgraded to 1.10 and sees the same thing with his phone. Now he is going to call and get a replacement phone, but the odds of both of our phones having the same problem that is not related to the MR is pretty remote given the circumstances. I guess that we will just have to try to report this as an issue to Palm and see if they will investigate it. Maybe it is something to do with the Sprint network in my particular area, but it is definitly something we have been able to reproduce easily on multiple phones. I suppose for now it is best to just stay on 1.08 until a fix comes out or my area is totally upgraded to EVDO. Either would probably solve the issue that we are seeing, but unfortunately it does not appear that the fix that worked for you is not working here. Appreciate the help though...this is just frustrating.
    Quote Originally Posted by peridoc View Post
    In the data icon indication area above the signal strength indicator:

1xRTT = Two arrows (going left and right) that change from grey to green with activity.

EVDO = Two triangles (going up and down) that change from grey to blue with activity.

OK, when I have the issue, the phone thinks it is in EVDO. Looking at the maps on Sprint's website, my building is right at the boundry. Is this an EVDO issue?
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Sprint told me it was related to the MR. But like I said, it could be fixed with deleting, and re-entering you in the system. It worked for me, and did not for you. What I understand, the EVDO codes that are in there system, have to be expired, and new versions added. It sounds like, they did not do it fully, or it just will not cure your problem. What are you doing when PV drops out? The only time mine will do that, is streaming Sprint Radio, or P Tunes. It has never dropped any other time.
    Matty
    Actually about the icons, the 6 trinagle stairs, 3 up, and 3 down mean you have EVDO, plus the 2 blue triangles above signal. When you are 1X, you do not have the stairs, and the 2 are triangles are green.
    Matty
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Basically I can reset the Treo and it connects up to the Sprint data network (since Chatter is running in the background on a restart) and I just sit back and watch the phone while it is on the phone screen. After a few minutes I get the disconnect->reconnect cycle described. If I shut down chatter I can just be browsing the web in Blazer and I get the cycle as well. Basically connect to the Sprint network using any application and then sit back and watch and it will do it.
    Uuuughh! You do have some serious issues. I would try to get them to exchange it for the 755p, or another smart phone. If you and your friend have been through that many, and all have this issue with MR applied, sounds like your only option is another type phone.
    Matty
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Unfortunately that is what it is starting to look like. The other option we have is to stick with a 700p on 1.08. The only downer to that is that Bluetooth is not nearly as good as it is with 1.10. It is just crazy that we have two different phones that did the same thing. Does not seem like a coincidence. We are trying to get Palm to look at it to see if they can see it in their testing, but that is easier said than done. We have had Treos since the Treo 300 (300->600->650->700p)and this is the most crazy problem we have seen so far...
    has anyone noticed the popup message, network signal has faded and your call was dropped message, i get this all the time now, i am wondering if it is due to the new PRL

after some time my network arrows (grey arrows) drop off if i am not on the internet, so now when i want to get back on i have to reassign back onto vision and just takes more time...

what do i need to call sprint and specifically ask them to do, u need to be real specific with the people over there, all they know how to do by memory is how to hard reset phone
    Mine has returned to being a disaster. I am now constantly dropping, not just PV, but calls as well. My email is constantly telling me to sync, and after I do, it gives me an error, and tells me to sync again. I am really dropping calls, where my wifes Samsung is flawless. I am on the phone with Sprint now, I have had it with this waste of a phone.........
    Matty
    Quote Originally Posted by italiangspot View Post
    has anyone noticed the popup message, network signal has faded and your call was dropped message, i get this all the time now, i am wondering if it is due to the new PRL

after some time my network arrows (grey arrows) drop off if i am not on the internet, so now when i want to get back on i have to reassign back onto vision and just takes more time...

what do i need to call sprint and specifically ask them to do, u need to be real specific with the people over there, all they know how to do by memory is how to hard reset phone
    That is all they know how to do.
    Matty

That is all they know how to do. I started getting that message yesterday, and it hasn't stopped yet......
    Matty
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    I would also suggest calling Palm at 877-426-3777 and explain the problem(s) in detail to them and also try to reference this thread for them. The only way they can fix the issues is if they see that more than a handful of people are having this issue. I have had no luck with Sprint and at least Palm sent me a phone with 1.08 on it that works mostly the way the phone should. My buddy is calling them today to report the issue again and get a replacement phone to get back to 1.08.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    I have had this happen a few times, but not many. Maybe twice total.

If the "some time" you are talking about is in the few minutes range, then this is my exact issue with 1.10 that I describe multiple times in this post. Have not found any good solutions except to get a phone with 1.08 firmware on it.

Not sure about this as we are not sure exactly who's problem it is (Palm or Sprint). If you have firmware 1.10 on your phone that might be the culprit...if not then maybe it is the PRL. Is 20227 the latest versions available?
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast