Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617181920 LastLast
    I agree that the choices are slim if you need a business oriented smartphone that also can keep you entertained during boring meetings or while waiting at an airport. The problem with the 8830 is that VZW disabled one of its best features-GPS. BB is supposed to becoming out with the 8820 in the US which is like the 8830, except it has Wi-Fi. AT&T will probably get it first. Of course, if VZW did get it, they would disable the GPS and the Wi-Fi.

The 700P would be a great smartphone, if it actually worked.
    I've only had my 700wx-as-700p-replacement for a day, but here are some initial observations:

• 700wx MULTITASKS! You can sync, transfer files, and do any number of things in the background while doing anything else. This in itself is a HUGE improvement over the 700p.
    • Certain functions and options are a few levels deeper than they are on POS, so a few more clicks are required.
    • The keys vary in function a bit from the 700p, so that takes some adjustment.
    • Keyboard backlight is SUPER BRIGHT, I'd estimate twice the brightness of my 700p.
    • Build quality of the 700wx appears better than the 700p, but that's just my overall impression.
    • USB cable *does not* charge the 700wx, unlike the 700p. This seems really odd and a big oversight.
    • The Windows Mobile interface seems a little sluggish when multiple things are going on at once -- the 700p equivalent is a frozen PDA until it's done doing what it's doing.
    • SMS messages are sent in the background and I've had 100% delivery success. The 700p hangs until the SMS is sent, and half the time I get a "destination resource unavailable" error and have to re-send the SMS.
    • Overall I like the 700wx much better than the 700p. The 700wx allows me to work more or less at my speed rather than the other way around.
    • The 700wx "home" screen (or whatever it's called) gets cluttered quickly and having to scroll vertically when things get crowded is awkward.
    • Signal strength on the 700wx appears more consistent, with fewer dropouts than the 700p.
    • 700wx call quality seems better, although I can't say exactly why. It sounds more pleasing.
    • I now have access to a lot more of the latest software. POS development is pretty slim.
    • 700wx doesn't play nice with my Prius hands-free, the 700p worked fine.

That's it for now, I'm sure I'll have more to say when I've had it for a longer while. So far so good!
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Verizon 700P version 1.10 (replacement received from Verizon on 7/30/07)

Over 5 days and not a single data connect error or drop - in fact the data potion of my phone is working VERY well.

Recap: Original 700p updated to 1.10 had Error 3000 & Page not found errors6-8 out of 10 attempts consistently. Tried tech support fixes for about a week with no solutions.

Did a complete customer reprovision and still did not work (on old phone). Switched to replacement phone and have not had a problem since.

Point is, 1.10 on Verizon does work. There may be an upgrade issue, and maybe earlier versions of 1.10 were a problem, but the bottom line (for me) is that the problem has gone away and I am on verizon with a 1.10 700P.

I am a heavy EVDO user (including slingbox for a few hours a day).
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAllard View Post

Over 5 days and not a single data connect error or drop - in fact the data potion of my phone is working VERY well.

Recap: Original 700p updated to 1.10 had Error 3000 & Page not found errors6-8 out of 10 attempts consistently. Tried tech support fixes for about a week with no solutions.

Did a complete customer reprovision and still did not work (on old phone). Switched to replacement phone and have not had a problem since.

Point is, 1.10 on Verizon does work. There may be an upgrade issue, and maybe earlier versions of 1.10 were a problem, but the bottom line (for me) is that the problem has gone away and I am on verizon with a 1.10 700P.

EVDO works for me, as well. The problem is in 1X - where I live. So, the MR upgrade is still a MAJOR problem. The phone worked fine in all data network types prior to the upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAllard View Post

I've had my vzw replacement for five days. No disconnects, no resets. They also turned on EVDO in my area, but it still switches between 1x and evdo a couple times a day. I stay connected all the time with Chattermail. I ran streaming tv with Orb for about 1/2 hour yesterday. Was unsure if I wanted a replacement with 1.10 but so far, very happy.
    Heard this from a Sprint tech, in another forum. These are Sprint codes, not sure what the Verizon versions are. You need your MSL, for this t work. He swears this will stop the net drops. ##3282# then menu, select restore. Enter the MSL, then OK. After it returns to the phone screen, ##3282#, then menu, then update profile. Good luck.
    Matty
    Quote Originally Posted by matty032 View Post
    Heard this from a Sprint tech, in another forum. These are Sprint codes, not sure what the Verizon versions are. You need your MSL, for this t work. He swears this will stop the net drops. ##3282# then menu, select restore. Enter the MSL, then OK. After it returns to the phone screen, ##3282#, then menu, then update profile. Good luck.
    how about the 3000 errors?
    Well, I always got them when I updated the profile, after doing the restore, for the first time, I did not get one while updating the profile. But, we'll see. The post with the sprint tech, is the 3000 thread in the 755p forum.
    Matty
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    so has anyone out there tried this and gotten it to work? tried it and not had anymore pv dropouts?
    thx
    Quote Originally Posted by jim256 View Post
    so has anyone out there tried this and gotten it to work? tried it and not had anymore pv dropouts?
    thx
    Did not work for me. Got my 4th phone from Palm. It came in with 1.10. I sent it back. Called Palm told them I was not even trying it and asked to speak to a manager. Was put on hold for 45 mins. and then hung up. Called back and was promised a call back from a manager. Heard nothing. They win, I give up on this problem. Fortunately, for me, it is more of a nuisance, I can unhappily live with. My son just got a BB 8830 on my recommendation. He loves it. Won't say I'll never buy Palm again, but will never be the first on the block to do so.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I did it. It worked for a day but all the issues came back

thx
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    This problem for most, not all, is completely 100% related to the MR. I chose to opt out and have 1.06 VZW and my network connection is fine. I have never had the 3000 error.

If Palm is just blindly replacing phones, they are either:

1. in Denial its a software/firmware issue

2. Have no communication between departments/providers

3. Have no software engineers, but have a room full of baboons typing code for bananas

4. Don't give a #$%^ about their "loyal" customers and won't untill we make them...

DON'T TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER, DEMAND AN EXPLANATION + A SOLUTION OTHER THEN PRETENDING TO FIX IT BUY GIVING YOU AN IDENTICAL REFURB WHILE THEY BUY TIME...
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    thx
    I haven't had any dropouts since doing this.
    Matty
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Hi..

okay, bonehead question - where does one get one's Treo's "MSL"? I used my Sprint replacement "insurance" and swapped out my worn out 650 for a new (yes new, not a re-furb, brand spankin' new) 700p last week.. sent back the 650 to Asurion (formerly lock/line).. total cost: $0.00.. (as an aside, Asurion told me they actually had re-furbed 650s in stock.. i told them i didn't want one, i wanted another 700p..) ..

new phone arrived in two days.. first thing i decided to do after activating it was to apply the V1.10 MR to it, (from a freshly-formatted card.. a nearly hour-long procedure during which i waved a crucifix, draped garlic around the phone, and watched progress bars and re-boots while i sat here genuflecting..) .. so i'd have one 700p running 1.08 (the one i got new a year ago), and another with 1.10.. and on the new, MRd 700p.. i'm experiencing random loss of data connection.. let me re-phrase that.. i'm experiencing random inability to MAKE a data connection.. is that what yawl are talking about?..

i can't pin it down to anything in particular.. there's no pattern to it.. it never happens DURING a data session, only between them.. one day it won't happen at all, the next day it'll happen half a dozen times.. i'll go to use something like SnapperMail or BackupBuddy.net or Blazer, or something else that needs to make a data connection, i'll get the little "connecting to PowerVision" window, and then.. nothing.. it'll just sit there forever and not connect.. the only way out that i've found to get outta that freeze-up is to poke the hole and do a warm reset.. then after it re-boots and settles down and acquires Sprint again, and i try whatever i just tried again, it works fine.. connecting, handshake, connection..

so i'm willing to try this fix if someone will tell me where i get this phone's MSL..

is it IN the phone somewhere? in the packaging? or do i have to call some paper hat at Sprint and ask them for it, and if so, what Department?..

Thanks
    Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    If you are Sprint. ask for technical support, then Treo support.
    Matty
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser View Post
    Hi..

okay, bonehead question - where does one get one's Treo's "MSL"?
    so i'm willing to try this fix if someone will tell me where i get this phone's MSL..

is it IN the phone somewhere? in the packaging? or do i have to call some paper hat at Sprint and ask them for it, and if so, what Department?..

Thanks
    Harv
    I think for Sprint you have to call them for the MSL. For the verizon crowd its six Zero's . From what I've read and understand the MSL at least on sprint depends on your Serial #/ESN ID. Im sure they have a wonderful little generator out there that will spit it out upon calling them. And I'd ask for Data services. I called verizon and they never heard of the MSL Code but when you call these places who knows who you end up with on the phone.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ncc1701p View Post
    I think for Sprint you have to call them for the MSL. For the verizon crowd its six Zero's . From what I've read and understand the MSL at least on sprint depends on your Serial #/ESN ID. Im sure they have a wonderful little generator out there that will spit it out upon calling them. And I'd ask for Data services. I called verizon and they never heard of the MSL Code but when you call these places who knows who you end up with on the phone.
    Hi.. okay, thanks.. i get nauseated every time i even think about punching star two KNOWING that i'm going to be sitting on hold at least half an hour before i can get to a human being at Sprint.. i mean every freakin' time.. then it's the "let me talk to your Supervisor" dance.. then more sitting on hold.. straight out of "The President's Analyst".. you know.. "We're the phone company.. we don't have to care." .. i guess when you have 30 million customers, pissing off one means nothing..

one more question.. is the problem as i described it above, the same problem everyone else (who is describing the problem).. is having after doing the MR "upgrade".. and running V1.10 on a Sprint 700p?.. and that problem is --> inability to make a DATA connection randomly.. says "connecting to PowerVision" but you never get the little handshake graphic after that, and everything just freezes, requiring a poke-in-the-hole to get out of it, and then after a reboot, it works fine?.. i've read all 2392039840293841 posts in this insanely long thread and i want to make sure we're talking about the same problem.. my other 700p, still running V1.08 does NOT have this problem.. ever.. and i have NO intention of MR-ing it up to V1.10 until they fix this.. either with another MR, or with a patch.. or if this MSL thing will fix it..

NONE of this should be necessary.. how can something that causes so many people such unnecessary problems even make it out of Palm's doors and into the public's hands?.. what pack of baboons Beta tested this thing and let it out?.. it's simply inexcusable.. if i can't solve this problem myself, i'm quite likely to call Asurion again and tell them the 700p they sent me is screwed up and swap it out for another new one.. i applied the MR to "fix" the Bluetooth problems with the 700p.. had i known it would introduce this new aggravation, i never would have done it.. and the confounding thing is the failure to make a data connection is totally random.. i can't force it to happen, i can't duplicate it on demand, i don't know what combination of things cause it to happen, all i know is that rebooting the phone fixes it, temporarily.. but eventually it'll happen again.. an hour later, a day later.. who knows..

i love the 700p as a device, but this is really grinding my gears.. if there was some easy way to downgrade my new phone back to V1.08, i'd do it in a New York minute..

Thanks
    Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 08/07/2007 at 10:00 PM.
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser View Post
    Hi.. okay, thanks.. i get nauseated every time i even think about punching star two KNOWING that i'm going to be sitting on hold at least half an hour before i can get to a human being at Sprint.. i mean every freakin' time.. then it's the "let me talk to your Supervisor" dance.. then more sitting on hold.. straight out of "The President's Analyst".. you know.. "We're the phone company.. we don't have to care." .. i guess when you have 30 million customers, pissing off one means nothing..

one more question.. is the problem as i described it above, the same problem everyone else (who is describing the problem).. is having after doing the MR "upgrade".. and running V1.10 on a Sprint 700p?.. and that problem is --> inability to make a DATA connection randomly.. says "connecting to PowerVision" but you never get the little handshake graphic after that, and everything just freezes, requiring a poke-in-the-hole to get out of it, and then after a reboot, it works fine?.. i've read all 2392039840293841 posts in this insanely long thread and i want to make sure we're talking about the same problem.. my other 700p, still running V1.08 does NOT have this problem.. ever.. and i have NO intention of MR-ing it up to V1.10 until they fix this.. either with another MR, or with a patch.. or if this MSL thing will fix it..

NONE of this should be necessary.. how can something that causes so many people such unnecessary problems even make it out of Palm's doors and into the public's hands?.. what pack of baboons Beta tested this thing and let it out?.. it's simply inexcusable.. if i can't solve this problem myself, i'm quite likely to call Asurion again and tell them the 700p they sent me is screwed up and swap it out for another new one.. i applied the MR to "fix" the Bluetooth problems with the 700p.. had i known it would introduce this new aggravation, i never would have done it.. and the confounding thing is the failure to make a data connection is totally random.. i can't force it to happen, i can't duplicate it on demand, i don't know what combination of things cause it to happen, all i know is that rebooting the phone fixes it, temporarily.. but eventually it'll happen again.. an hour later, a day later.. who knows..

i love the 700p as a device, but this is really grinding my gears.. if there was some easy way to downgrade my new phone back to V1.08, i'd do it in a New York minute..

Thanks
    Harv
    Ditto to all of the above.

Re: your question, in my case (I am also on Sprint) what happens is that either:

1) I have EvDO for awhile while online, then my connection degrades (I go from blue triangles to green arrows), then I totally lose my connection and have to reconnect to PowerVision; or

2) I have to try to connect multiple times to get any Vision connection at all.

In both cases, I repeatedly lose Vision while browsing, something that didn't happen until after applying the 1.10 MR update. I tried the solution suggested above re: the MSL -- it seemed to work for a few hours, then the same problems started happening again.

Looking forward to MR 1.11, 1.12 . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by beckkk1 View Post

Looking forward to MR 1.11, 1.12 . . .
    I Honestly don't think its going to happen. If I was a Palm rep i'd say why bother Gandalf is on its way. We can clearly see where Palm is focusing their efforts on these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    I've had my vzw replacement for five days. No disconnects, no resets. They also turned on EVDO in my area, but it still switches between 1x and evdo a couple times a day. I stay connected all the time with Chattermail. I ran streaming tv with Orb for about 1/2 hour yesterday. Was unsure if I wanted a replacement with 1.10 but so far, very happy.
    I've had the same experience as gapost. No problem since the update and very happy with the results!