Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 LastLast
    i had to reset my PRI by using my MSL programming code and then my vision worked again perfectly... following the MR i spent over an hour on the phone with sprint getting my phone working fine again

now if i could just get my bluetooth issue sorted out id be a happy camper
    Quote Originally Posted by scrupul0us View Post
    i had to reset my PRI by using my MSL programming code
    Can you please elaborate on this procedure. Who did it and how it was done?
    Quote Originally Posted by nomoresprint View Post
    If you are on Sprint try this:

type ##EVDO. Check the box that says force 1xRTT and click OK.

This helped me with the disconnects and freezes.
    I tried this and it seemed like it stayed connected better. However, when anyone tried to call me, it went right to voicemail (phone never rang). I would have no record of the inbound call in the call log (no missed call msg or green flashing LED). Didn't get the voicemail until hours later. Outgoing worked fine.

I unchecked this box and now incoming calls, missed call log, etc. work normal again. Oh well ...
    Bo Meyer
    Visor 90 --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 700p
    Mac OS X
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomeyer View Post
    I tried this and it seemed like it stayed connected better. However, when anyone tried to call me, it went right to voicemail (phone never rang). I would have no record of the inbound call in the call log (no missed call msg or green flashing LED). Didn't get the voicemail until hours later. Outgoing worked fine.

I unchecked this box and now incoming calls, missed call log, etc. work normal again. Oh well ...

I had the exact same complaint and situation about doing that.. Best leave it automatic...
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I know that as soon as I hit post on this that my phone will start having problems, but thought I would share anyway ;-)

I ended up getting a replacement 700p from Verizon with MR 1.10 on it and I have been error and trouble free since it came last Friday the 27th of July.

Last week I was in Portland and had nothing but trouble the first couple days. I started seeing my first 3000 data errors and other errors I have never seen before. After a provision with *228 things started acting like they did back in Utah, but I still had network hangs, lags etc. I called Verizon on Tuesday and explained what was happening and all the things that I had done to try to fix them. They suggested the replacement which I reluctantly accepted.

BTW - the major issue I had that prompted the replacement was a phantom extra blank as in "unnamed" not "untitled" network profile that showed up on my phone. I suspect that this got created while trying a suggestion to use #*#data# on another thread. I suggest that you do not do that unless you have the proper MSL for your phone. If you use any other MSL number it will mess you up. I also suspect that this may be the source of many others data issues on this forum. I was unable to get rid of this profile no mater what I did. I even hard reset a couple times and re-installed the MR. Nothing I tried would remove it. It always said that it was installed by my provider and I could not delete it, even if I unlocked it with the code I set it up with. After the hard reset and re-install of the MR the phone was pretty stable, but I could find no way to force the phone to ALWAYS use the Verizon provided BroadBand Access profile. It would on occasion use the other one and I would get 3000 or other data errors. I even tried creating my own, but I could not get the phone to always use that profile no mater what I did. I even tried deleting my networkDB and Network Prefs files (more on that later) and that would work until a reset and then all the old profiles, and more would be back on the phone.

One of the things I did that may help some of you when you try a replacement phone is to do the following (I did this to make sure my fantom profiles did not show back up again):
    1) backup your old phone. I suggest using The Missing Sync with the backup ALL databases option. I have also found that using a new blank backup directory works best. I think that most Palm backups are incremental and if it thinks a file is already there then it won't back it up. Post-MR on my old phone I found that there were several items that never got backed up or that the version in the backup was not the same as the one on the phone so I got strange results, like the USB Modem problem that I posted about. For example, I did not start with a blank backup when I got my new phone and Versamail reverted to 3.5.1 and USB modem reverted to an older version as well. These were easy to correct, but were annoying.
    2) Activate the new phone by calling Verizon/Sprint
    3) Copy off both the NetworkDB and Network Prefs files from the new phone to a safe place, probably after you verify that the new phone can connect to the data network
    4) Copy your NetworkDB and Network Prefs from your old phone backup to someplace else for safe keeping
    5) replace the NetworkDB and prefs in your backup with the ones from the new phone
    6) restore from backup
    7) Do not hard reset the new phone before you try all this. Probably not a good idea to do anything with data other than verifying that the provision worked and you can connect prior to the restore.
    BTW - the Network Prefs thing is only for safety. In reality, unless you are using some sort of brut force backup or file manipulator you should not be able to replace the Network Prefs file that is on the phone when it is new. If your backup software/method is capable of doing that I highly suggest that you make sure the version of prefs in the one that came with the new phone.

If you do not follow this and your backup restores your old NetworkDB you will be forever more stuck with a bad phone. Remember that profile cannot be deleted. I don't even think that Verizon or Palm knows how to get rid of it for sure.

Verizon verified with me that they never create the Broadband Access profile, they only update it with your personal settings I.E. phone number/account etc. The profile is created by Palm when the phone goes out the door. There is stuff that can get messed up during MR update and provisioning that can permanently damage your built in profile and you cannot edit it unless you have your MSL, which I have never been able to get Verizon to tell me. They always say that "we don't have that information"

I'm pretty sure that by following these steps that most of you will be up and running, but I'm sure mileage will vary. I'm still wondering how long it will be before I start having problems again?

At this point the only issue(s) I still have are the DTMF tone, which BTW is much lower in volume with the new phone and does not happen nearly as often and my TomTom Navigator system seems to fail connecting to the BT GPS brick about one time in ten where it did not do that before. It will run flawlessely for a couple days then give me grief a couple times and then work just fine for a couple more days.

Tethering with both BT (built-in with hack) and USB with USB Modem work flawlessly and I am seeing speeds 50-100% faster than before. I have not dared disabling built in DUN to try BT through USB Modem, but have not seen the need. I prefer to not have to do the extra step of enabling USB Modem.

I hope this helps someone out there.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    One final note on this: I know it sounds strange that the NetworkDB can mess things up, but I was able to recreate the changing the built in profile and the restore of fantom ones manipulating that file. Including creating a nasty endless loop that required a hard reset.

I also suggest not messing at all with your built-in profile or adding others. This advise is for Verizon only as Sprint uses other methods to drive up nuts with this, but seems more flexible.

If you have ended up with multiple network profiles, you are sure to have problems, at least on Verizon. I suspect that something is removing the virtual modem setting on there and creating the 3000 errors you all are seeing. If the profile is set to high speed data or whatever (I'm not going to check for fear I will wreck my phone) that will always produce a 3000 error. Even having the right setting will more often than not create the data services are not available in your area or the wonderful check your username and password error(s).
    Do a RTN reset, that will remove all the profiles.
    Matty
    I did an RTN reset, several hard resets after that, and still was getting a variety of errors -- error 3000 and then a new PPP timeout error. Any smart lawyer should jump at the opportunity for a class action lawsuit here...

I seriously recommend people consider an alternative device at this point. I got a 700wx, but if I could have gotten a Blackberry or something else I would have -- Verizon considered the 700wx a comparable device, so I jumped at it. I think PalmOS is a dead platform -- look how many updates Palm's Windows Mobile products have received in the time it took to get a single PalmOS update. That should tell you where they are focusing their support efforts.

Granted, it's easier for me to switch because I don't run any special applications -- I use my PDA for phone, calendar, contacts, and tethered web access. I realize many of you have significant investments in software for PalmOS. I wonder if we individually shouldn't start mentioning small claims court action when we're told there's nothing they can do, or that something is in the works without any firm commitment.

As a minimum, everyone with an issue should be asking for and getting a rebate on their monthly data usage.
    I just spent an hour on the phone with VZW after doing a RTN reset. They had to remove all of my data information from the account and then set it up again. It didn't improve anything. (But I did find out that the RTN reset does eliminate any extra network connection profiles you added.)

I spoke to three people at VZW. One knew about the problem, appologized and said it was Palm's fault. She then said she would connect me to Tier 3 support, but hung up on me. When I finally got through to Tier 3 support, he claimed to know nothing about the network problem, but assured me it was Palm's fault. As I told them, I just want a phone that works.

I am ready to switch to a BB 8800 or 8830, but as I understand it, the AT&T version does not have 3g high speed internet and the VZW version disabled the GPS. Those are the two carrier's my firm works with. I am soooo tired of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lnoble View Post
    I am soooo tired of this.
    Just get an old 700p with 1.08. I did and I've not had a single disconnect or hang. I do not know what else to say about the mess palm put us in. You have said it all. As it is always with POS, quality has always been their number 1 challenge. With their limited market share and technical resources (as compared to MS) they just could never come up with a decent strategy to manage their OS upgrades and patches. Not that they had any to really speak off.

I always tell my friends, family, and community members who are either just starting with mobile computing or not as heavily invested NOT to consider or even think about owning a PALM related product. This goes against my wishful thinking that they should, but after all these years, I do not want any to go though what I have been through with Palm.
    Verizon tells they dont have any old 700ps with 1.08. That's why they are sending me a 650.

I did get a credit on my bill for the last month of non-data. I guess every $45.99 helps.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Matty, thanks for the tip. I played with my old phone (not sending it back until my new one is stable for a couple weeks). Anyhow I played with some of the resets that I was afraid to do before when I only had my original phone. On Verizon if you do a PRI reset with a MSL of 000000 it will remove all but the built-in BroadbandAccess profile. Found that the RTN reset with a MSL of 000000 does the same, but also removes all the data from the device. Handy for when you are returning your phone or selling it to someone else. I also found a thread that describes the finger twister reset procedure that completely zeros out the NVRAM on the Treos. I wish I knew all this when I sold my 650. I only did a hard reset, which I assume is adequate for most uses, but still a possibility that the new owner could recover some data?

I have no idea how difficult it is to get your voice and data service back after doing a PRI and or RTN reset, but from what I have read here it requires a call to the carrier to restore service?

Wish I would have known this before, but my new phone is working much better and is like new where my old one had a few dings and the antenna had bounced of the pavement a couple times and is looking a little sad. When I called Verizon what I wanted to know was how to do the reset to remove the extra profile and they did not know and sent me a new phone instead. Seems a little excessive to me. I wonder how much money they are wasting with these support calls and sending out new/refurb phones? This has got to be costing Verizon/Sprint and Palm a ton of cash.
    Quote Originally Posted by kludge View Post
    Matty, thanks for the tip. I played with my old phone (not sending it back until my new one is stable for a couple weeks). Anyhow I played with some of the resets that I was afraid to do before when I only had my original phone. On Verizon if you do a PRI reset with a MSL of 000000 it will remove all but the built-in BroadbandAccess profile. Found that the RTN reset with a MSL of 000000 does the same, but also removes all the data from the device. Handy for when you are returning your phone or selling it to someone else. I also found a thread that describes the finger twister reset procedure that completely zeros out the NVRAM on the Treos. I wish I knew all this when I sold my 650. I only did a hard reset, which I assume is adequate for most uses, but still a possibility that the new owner could recover some data?

I have no idea how difficult it is to get your voice and data service back after doing a PRI and or RTN reset, but from what I have read here it requires a call to the carrier to restore service?

Wish I would have known this before, but my new phone is working much better and is like new where my old one had a few dings and the antenna had bounced of the pavement a couple times and is looking a little sad. When I called Verizon what I wanted to know was how to do the reset to remove the extra profile and they did not know and sent me a new phone instead. Seems a little excessive to me. I wonder how much money they are wasting with these support calls and sending out new/refurb phones? This has got to be costing Verizon/Sprint and Palm a ton of cash.
    You do have to call the carrier after a RTN reset, to reactivate your phone. If you have your esn nmber and MSL, you may be able to reactivate it yourself. But, not sure on that one. The RTN reset is as hardcore a reset as you can get. If it doesn't cure your ills, nothing will....
    Matty
    Quote Originally Posted by rosalindavenue View Post
    Verizon tells they dont have any old 700ps with 1.08. That's why they are sending me a 650.

I did get a credit on my bill for the last month of non-data. I guess every $45.99 helps.
    Hopefully you don't get one of the 2 i have sitting here to send back that don't work!
    m100(for 1 day)->Sony PEG-S300->PEG-N710C->PEG-NR70 (needs a new battery!)->Treo 650 (bad connector)->650 (dead ear speaker)->700p (sucky battery life)->new 700 on way
    A "second level" palm phone person just told me that he talked to the "Head Palm Engineer" and that HE (the head Palm engineer) says there is no known network connectivity problem at all with the 1.10 update and that this is clearly a Verizon network problem. It's nice to see the buck passing, here in the fourth week of no network services. This is unbelievable.
    A "second level" palm phone person just told me that he talked to the "Head Palm Engineer" and that HE (the head Palm engineer) says there is no known network connectivity problem at all with the 1.10 update and that this is clearly a Verizon network problem. It's nice to see the buck passing, here in the fourth week of no network services. This is unbelievable.

fourth week? Us Sprint losers have heard this for 8 weeks now.
    Matty
    Dump your 700p's and run! lol
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    just picked up my free brand new 700wx from the Verizon store as a replacement for my 700p that they had replaced twice in thepast week trying to fix the Error3000. Now I have to learn a new OS After using POS since about 1997.

As well as figure out what programs I will need. And never use Palm Desktop again either from the looks of it. So much for the $$$ I spent on POS programs.

Overall, a sad day for Dankind.
    Dan Finn
    Verizon 700wx
    Please post your experiences with the 700wx. I dont think I will get one, but I'd be interested to know if it functions. Once you consider Palm to be dead (and believe me, it is dead as a doornail, and this is from a 7 year palm OS user), Verizon's smartphone choices are very , very weak. They need to get some iphone competitors introduced as soon as possible.
    Please post your experiences with the 700wx. I dont think I will get one, but I'd be interested to know if it functions. Once you consider Palm to be dead (and believe me, it is dead as a doornail, and this is from a 7 year palm OS user), Verizon's smartphone choices are very , very weak. They need to get some iphone competitors introduced as soon as possible.
    I think you will find that the 700wx has its own set of issues. This is in addition to a somewhat complicated GUI when compared to the Garnet GUI.

I disagree with you that Verizon's smart phone choices are weak. The BB8830 is a very nice smartphone and a logical replacement for anyone wanting to jump ship with their 700p. The BB interface is very nice and functionally on par with the 700p.

Pull POS units away from most carriers and you are left with pretty slim pickings with respect to smart phones.

Iphone competitors are only good for those who desire the iphone experience. I suspect that most people who frequent these forums require somethign more than the iphone, or a competitor, can offer. IMO, of course.

TKOS