Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Cornfuser View Post
    Although I am a Verizon user and on the list to be called by Palm to troubleshoot this issue, I just ordered a Blackberry 8830 from Sprint to one, try out another type of device, and two, to see how Sprint EV-DO Rev A works in my home area since Verizon still does not have EV-DO here. I want to try it as a modem too.

This really hurts since I've been a Palm user since a Pilot Deluxe.
    Please be aware that although the Sprint network in your area may be Rev. A, the 8830 is not a Rev. A device.

I just ordered a Sprint Blackberry 8830 also. It's sad that I am about to abandon the Palm brand (that is, if I like the Blackberry) after many years and a substantial investment in software and accessories . I'm also leaving Verizon, because I'm ticked off that they've disabled the GPS unit and other features of the phone.
    a quick update ...
    Having my 700p with 1.08 for over 24 hours now, I only encountered the disconnect ONCE and NO hangups PERIOD. Even the disconnect happened over night so I do not think it was anything abnormal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    Please be aware that although the Sprint network in your area may be Rev. A, the 8830 is not a Rev. A device.

I just ordered a Sprint Blackberry 8830 also. It's sad that I am about to abandon the Palm brand (that is, if I like the Blackberry) after many years and a substantial investment in software and accessories . I'm also leaving Verizon, because I'm ticked off that they've disabled the GPS unit and other features of the phone.
    Interesting that the 8830 does not support Rev. A. While I was online deciding between the 8830 and the Motorola Q a chat box opened up and I chatted with a sales type that I asked specifically about Rev. A support on both phones and was told that the 8830 did support it but not the Q. If you are right, which I'm pretty sure you are, the 8830 probably won't be with me past the trial period unless I'm totally blown away by it anyway. And, that might not be too hard becasue of this not so great year with the 700p as well as the disabled GPS etc. on Verizon.
    I just spoke with Palm, and they had me dial *228, which updated my phone's preferred roaming list, she told me ("OTA Service Provisioning," according to the phone's screen). She said I should try the phone for a couple of days, to see if this corrected the network disconnection problems.

Nothing has improved as far as I can tell, as I'm still having troubles with Blazer and Versamail.
    bayoucheese,
    Please call the Palm HQ customer service number I posted earlier and ask that you get an appointment with their support. This is the only support I found to be effective. Do not call Palm general support number, use the one I posted. You will go no where with sprint. Also, Palm needs to hear from all having this issue so we can hopefully get it fixed once and for all.

My case number is also there, feel free to have palm refer to it.
    My summary of this problem is:

-Don't waste your time getting a replacement 700p for data connection problems, this is a software/Rom problem (unless it is the prior ROM version)
    -Don't waste your time calling Verizon or Sprint until a patch for the data problem is released
    -reprogramming only resets the phone, just like turning the phone radio off and on will allow for a connection in my experience
    -most of the maintenance release was positives-is hard to fathom how the data error got through their quality control
    ...thought i'd chime in with a quick, 'me too' comment: Verizon, MU download from Palm (via the verizon support page!) fried my phone. Sent me a new one with 1.10 on it...and can't keep a steady broadband connection. Have to soft reset to reestablish...

i know i shouldn't due to it's lack of evdo but...hey verizon...have you heard of this new thing called...iphone?

sheesh.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    7/29/07 - Latest proposed fix (Courtesy of Verizon->Palm):

They (Palm) want me to do the following:

1. Create a new username on the Palm Desktop.

2. Synchronize with the "temp" user name.

3. Download and reinstall the firmware upgrade using the SD card, not the desktop.

4. Perform a hard reset, and synchronize with the original username.

If this does not work, the want to send a refurb unit from PALM, which they say has different versions than what Verizon sends as replacements.

Anyone gone through this yet?
    will not work, i assure you but if you have extra time on your hands go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAllard View Post

3. Download and reinstall the firmware upgrade using the SD card, not the desktop.

If this does not work, the want to send a refurb unit from PALM, which they say has different versions than what Verizon sends as replacements.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAllard View Post

I did the upgrade from the SD card and did a completely new installation of the Palm Desktop to my laptop which had never had Palm on it and had never been synched. I got the connection problem before adding any applications. I also don't believe the version they are sending out is different than the VZW, unless you are lucky enough to get the old Rom version.

As far as I can tell, no one has solved the problem short of getting a phone with the old Rom. Palm and VZW are wasting everyone's time by having them try "fixes" that have never worked. I'm sure in a few weeks they will be suggesting we stand on our heads and swear allegiance to Palm while we sacrifice an IPhone to the spirits of CDMA.

What really makes me angry is that someone at VZW and Palm has to know none of this works, but they are trying to keep everyone distracted with useless games.
    MikeAllard,
    I agree with the previous participant. I myself applied my MR on a phone that had never been synced with DK and never had a SyncID yet.
    This issue took a whole month from me to try everything under the sun before I was able to find a store that had a 700p with old 1.08.

I once remember (and I'm NOT kidding) someone in sprint telling me to turn the phone off, wait for 5 minutes, and turn it back on and this should resolve my issue. This was such in insult to my intelligence.

For all who are going through this issue, please observe these recommendation as you go about trying to resolve it...

- For this particular issue, call Palm HQ or sprint Treo support directly. Do not waste your time calling any other numbers. I posted the phones earlier.

- You MUST insist on whomever you are talking with to explain to you what the issue is, the procedure they are proposing as a fix, and how they're related to each other. Do NOT just do what they ask you without sufficient explanation. They may try to exercise some pressure you, so be up to the challenge.

- If you are in a rush, there is no fix so far. You're ONLY fix is to get a 1.08 unit. Otherwise, wait. Up till now, neither did sprint nor palm have officially admitted this issue.

Even though my issue is nowresolved by using 1.08, I will call palm next week and escalate it as up as I can. I will offer to work with them and subject my 2 units to any test they deem appropriate.

-
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cnewtonne View Post
    MikeAllard,
    I agree with the previous participant. I myself applied my MR on a phone that had never been synced with DK and never had a SyncID yet.
    This issue took a whole month from me to try everything under the sun before I was able to find a store that had a 700p with old 1.08.

I once remember (and I'm NOT kidding) someone in sprint telling me to turn the phone off, wait for 5 minutes, and turn it back on and this should resolve my issue. This was such in insult to my intelligence.

For all who are going through this issue, please observe these recommendation as you go about trying to resolve it... You're ONLY fix is to get a 1.08 unit. Otherwise, wait.
    I know it's hard to keep it all straight, but MikeAllard was talking about his Verizon unit.....there is no 1.08, which was for Sprint units. The prior-MR Verizon version was 1.06, but good luck finding one of those. And let me know if you find two of them.....PLEASE!
    ...I just had my friend from new york arrive this morning...he too did the 1.10 MU and had it 'sort of' working in NY...got off the plane in nashville and the phone was unable to connect to the verizon network ("searching for network")...which is EXACTLY what happened to me...we spent an hour in the verizon store with a very helpful guy...he was on w/ tech support as they did all of the things we have all already tried...after the eventual hard reset provided no results, the tech guy finally gave in and is having a new unit sent to his hotel for tuesday...seems to me that verizon is making all of us with 1.10 problems go through mounds of agony to slow the hardware replacement factor down...i can't imagine how much grief and money they're going through having to ship out new phones....

sad really...you'd think they'd at least admit that there is a major problem and get on with it...

(ps...thought i'd make note that, as of 3:30p sunday, verizon still has the link to the faulty mu update on their website...how stupid can you people be?)
    Just spent an hour on the phone with Sprint TS (phone number provided by cnewtonne) after spending about a half hour on phone with Palm TS. The Sprint guy was very sympathetic, but had never heard of the problem. I pointed him at this thread and he was amazed. I had him open a ticket. He had a lot of trouble because their system requires a specific problem area. I suggested "dropped network." He said that wouldn't work. My ticket number is 16622299-070729. If you talk with Sprint force them to open a ticket and cross reference to this one. If you get or have a ticket number, post it here. I will call Sprint back occasionally and cross link mine to that one. I told the guy that I did not think Sprint could fix the problem, but they were the ones to put pressure on Palm.

Palm also had no clue. I did not call the Palm number provided by cnewtonne. I already have an open ticket number 1-188986334. Feel free to cross link to it. When they told me they had not heard of the problem, I said look up and gave them cnewtonne's number. They did escalate me to level 2. I am to get a call tonight, but will be surprised if they come through.
    Quote Originally Posted by todivefor View Post
    I am to get a call tonight, but will be surprised if they come through.
    I wish you luck, but I agree with you that it will be surprising if they can do anything. Palm, VZW and Sprint apparently have a lot of phones out there that have this problem. We just have to hope they come up with a new MR that fixes it. Until then, they are going to have everyone jumping through hoops, waiting for calls and trying various fixes. What worries me is that VZW has been signaling for a while that the 700P is at the end of its life span, so this may not be high on their priority list.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lnoble View Post
    What worries me is that VZW has been signaling for a while that the 700P is at the end of its life span, so this may not be high on their priority list.
    I agree, and more importantly, they are waiting for Palm to do the fixing. But I think the 755p is right around the corner, and if it doesn't exhibit the same Network problems, I think all the people having problems will all end up 755p units for free or a small upgrade fee (<$50).
    I have the 755, and have the network dropping issue. It was a replacement from Sprint, for a post MR network dropping 700p. But, the most I've had it drop was 2 times in one day. The 700p dropped out at least 20 times a day. Most days more. So the occasional dropout with the 755, is still much better.
    Matty
    I have skimmed this thread over the past weeks and seems your problems are more related to dropped data connections.

My problem is different, post MR I don't have much problem with EVDO (works about the same as before), my problem is dropped calls while in-network; during a call the signal just fades and many times drops the call completely, most of the times I have to hang-up and call again. This is happening more than 50% of the time now in my home area where the signal IS strong and I have no such problems with any of my other Sprint phones.

Neither Palm nor Sprint seems "aware" any such signal problems and not surprisingly, neither of them have a clue what it is or how to fix it.

Have you guys noticed this issue as well with the post-MR Treo.

I apologize if this was already discussed, I am in a rush now do to an Emergency Room call and did not have the time to read all posts.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    I haven't read through this entire thread (primarily because I have a non-updated Sprint phone and don't have this problem) but I did realize yesterday by accident that when I left my phone on roaming only, I was able to get EVDO through the Alltell network that wasn't available on the Sprint network. I just set the phone to "Roaming networks only". Doubt that it would help, but hey, it's worth a try. Maybe roaming will work better for you.
    Anyone ever thought of doing petitiononline? Someone should draft a open letter and we'll just start signing it.