Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    I used to have this problem but just noticed it went away. I can't point to the exact moment but I think it may be related to a hard reset I had to perform to eliminate a reset loop the phone just spontaneously went into. I then synced with the PC and all has been OK (BT still with issues,, not as many but more serious since now I miss calls).
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aixguru View Post
    Slide the ringer switch to silent then press the space bar while in the phone application. You should hear a touch tone sound coming from the ear piece (not the speaker).
    Tried that and got no sound at all. Do I need to have the dialpad up? Or just the phone application, tried both and still no sound?
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vMAC View Post
    Tried that and got no sound at all. Do I need to have the dialpad up? Or just the phone application, tried both and still no sound?
    I usually have wallpaper displayed by default. I get the touch tone with either being displayed.

The other method is to go into Sound Preferences, Manage, and then play any of the sounds. If you have the problem you'll hear a touch tone right before the sound plays. Remember though the touch tone will be heard from the ear piece and the sound from the rear speaker.

If you don't seem to hear the tone then that's good thing. Have you confirmed that the MR was completely installed. Some folks reported early on that some of the MR didn't get installed? I believe there's thread listing files and versions to confirm.
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    I usually have wallpaper displayed by default. I get the touch tone with either being displayed.
    Tried that it didn't play the sound at all. If I hit it twice it would give me the error sound (when on bookmark mode) and it would call out my voicemail if I hit it twice while on the dialpad, but no sound.

The other method is to go into Sound Preferences, Manage, and then play any of the sounds. If you have the problem you'll hear a touch tone right before the sound plays. Remember though the touch tone will be heard from the ear piece and the sound from the rear speaker.
    When I did this I could hear the sound, it was very faint but there was a sounds coming out of the earpiece before the sounds would play out of the back speaker.

My question then becomes if those are the only two ways to hear it, why is this a problem?

If you don't seem to hear the tone then that's good thing. Have you confirmed that the MR was completely installed. Some folks reported early on that some of the MR didn't get installed? I believe there's thread listing files and versions to confirm.
    Yes the MR is properly installed, I have all the features of the MR and my phone works perfectly. I've had one reset though since I installed the MR when running Destaller? This is a little bit above average typically I have one reset every two months or so. So alls hoping it doesn't get to much worse than that.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vMAC View Post
    My question then becomes if those are the only two ways to hear it, why is this a problem?
    The sound happens for most alerts (i.e., SMS messages, ring tones, e-mails, etc.). My two examples were meant to help easily reproduce the issue.

The problem is the touch tone sound plays even if the ringer switch is in the silent position. This might not seem like a big problem, but the sound can be heard during quiet times (i.e., meetings, movies, etc.). This is a real problem for some including myself.
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    well that sucks I just sent myself a text message from sprintpcs.com and when I received it (with the sounds off) it just vibrated didn't hear any sound. Also tested out the emails same things still no sound.

That would be very very aggrevating, sucks that you guys are having that problem. Hopefully it's an easy fix for Palm.
    I must correct my previous statement of problem fix after hard reset. I just can't create the sound when pressing the space bar from the phone app. I still get the noise when in/out of cell coverage.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    same here. I am on my 4th 700p (the MR update set my last 700p into a reset loop, therefore replaced in-store). A while back I did a hard reset on this phone (after MR and for another reason than the tone) and it still persist. Any alternatives to a hard reset? And I still get a tone even on vibrate
    Last edited by mcwheeler; 06/27/2007 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Something interesting
    A.S.d.l.C
    I just started getting it recently. I did the MR update the first day it was out, by USB, I was one of the few that had no problems.
    I had a soft reset earlier today, wonder if that had anything to do with it?
    Now that I think about it, I wasn't getting the beep you hear when you plug in the charger, until after the soft reset.
    Hmm?
    Quote Originally Posted by RawsonDR View Post
    Leaving it on with the silent switch must be a bug - it's at least a large oversight.
    Which makes one wonder: ANYONE who uses this phone notices the problem nearly immediately. DOES NOBODY AT PALM USE THIS PHONE???
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    Which makes one wonder: ANYONE who uses this phone notices the problem nearly immediately. DOES NOBODY AT PALM USE THIS PHONE???
    I didn't notice it immediately and to tell you the truth, I haven't heard it going into manage ringers and playing a ringer. When my phone rings it doesn't do it and on vibrate it sure as the sun doesn't make any noise whatsoever.

So I can see why they would have missed it, if it is inconsistent. Maybe it's because I used the USB MR patch, not the SD?
    I feel lonesome. No noise. Ben
    how could it be,,, that 90 percent of people hear nose and the other 10 percent dont

ben did u go through that thread thats on here and make sure that your update was successful, even though it says 1.10 under software, that doesnt mean it was successful

if i put ringer switch to mute and put phone to ear and push space bar i hear that lovely tone

and sprint and palm wont give me a new phone being that my phone is over a yr old

i was able to get palm to give me a refurbished phone and wave the $25 charge, which i am still not happy with, why should i get a refurbished one

grrrr

they messed up my phone, not me!

i think its funny how they released this update a little more then a year after the phone was released, that way peoples warranties would be expired !
    There is no question that my update was successful. If I put the ringer switch to mute and put phone to ear and push space bar I do not hear that lovely tone.

I have another issue that the MR created (Call Block and TakePhone together = crash) and still suffer with the occasional loss of one specific database file due to the NVFS file system, but noises and random crashes - nope, not before and not after. The device is as stable and quiet as before.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    There is no question that my update was successful. If I put the ringer switch to mute and put phone to ear and push space bar I do not hear that lovely tone.
    You doing all that while in the Phone app? Funny that it happens for everyone else.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Sure did. From the Phone application first, then from the standard launcher, then from ZLauncher - not a noise and no, it does not affect everyone else.

Ben
    Ok, it is a settings thing. First, I have always kept SYSTEM noises set to the OFF position, since the 600 days. As a result, I have never had to endure the noise problems. With the phone switch in the off position the SYSTEM noises set to the lowest level and the space bar pressed, I hear the tone. So if you are tired of hearing the tone, turn them off in the SYSTEM noises area.

On my 650 with the speaker switch in the on position, the noises are heard when pressing the space bar. When the speaker switch is in the off position, no noises are heard when pressing the space bar.

Sorry about the mix up.

Ben
    Slide the ringer switch to silent then press the space bar while in the phone application. You should hear a touch tone sound coming from the ear piece (not the speaker).
    That doesn't work for me, but if I press the battery icon, then before the battery % goes away, I press somewhere else on the screen, I get the beep.
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Ok, it is a settings thing. First, I have always kept SYSTEM noises set to the OFF position, since the 600 days. As a result, I have never had to endure the noise problems. With the phone switch in the off position the SYSTEM noises set to the lowest level and the space bar pressed, I hear the tone. So if you are tired of hearing the tone, turn them off in the SYSTEM noises area.
    For those having the issue setting everything to off including the ringer switch does not fix it. You can still hear DTMF (touch) tone coming from the the ear piece. It's strange that most have the issue after applying the update but a very small percentage do not.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skydivewags View Post
    That doesn't work for me, but if I press the battery icon, then before the battery % goes away, I press somewhere else on the screen, I get the beep.
    I too can produce the sound using this method. The proven method is to go into Sound Preferences, select Manage, and then play any of the sounds. If you have issue you'll hear a DTMF (touch) tone coming from the ear piece. It's best to do this with the ringer switch in the silent position.

Just to be sure.....it's not a beep but a DTMF (touch) tone coming from the ear piece. Same sound as if you're dialing a phone number.
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast