1.    #1  
    i have a visor deluxe. i'm looking for a docreader, database and spreadsheet that are compatible with ms office. cheap or free is good, but not necessary. also, anything that might help me use ms project with my visor would be helpful. much thanks for your help!
    ||site||
    Documents to Go (http://www.dataviz.com/products/docu...ogo/index.html) allows for you to read and edit Word documents. It also allows you to do some stuff with Excel but is limited (I do not use it so I cannot address these limitations though there have been discussion threads on this topic).

A lot of people on these discussion boards prefer WordSmith (http://www.bluenomad.com/ws/prod_wordsmith_details.html) to Documents to Go for word processing with Word. I do not think that it interfaces with Excel or other Office applications.
    Donate Blood!!!
    Visit here to see how: America's Blood Centers
    Some other options to look at are QuickOffice, which includes a Wordprocessor, spreadsheet, and charting application.

ThinkDB is a great database application for the Palm OS that will interface with Access. I use this and love it.

TinySheet is another spreadsheet program that has gotten good reviews.

You can find reviews for most of these applications here on VisorCentral. Just head to their reviews section and take a look.
    Sven

If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished.
    I've been using docs to go since it was initially beta a year ago. I've very pleased with the app. It allows you to work with Word, Excel and PDF files (of course PDF are ready only). Very easy to manage and load back and forth from the desktop.

If you're using a PC and are only interested in working with Word docs - I think Wordsmith is the way to go. But, if you also want excel and PDF, or if you are a Mac user, Docs to Go - professional version is the way to go.
    dave
    I just got WordSmith (word processor) a couple of days ago, and I love it. If I just want to convert word docs/pdf files/html files so that I can read them on my Visor, I like to read them in Rich Reader.
    I have been using MiniCalc for somem time now for my spreadsheet app. I love it, and, though you don't hear much about it, it seems to be the closest thing to Excel that I have found.
    I found a program the other day (I can't remember what it was now) that convert power point presentations for the visor. The only thing was, with as large as the files came out, there was no way I was going to have room on my visor. I would love to see more research/development done in the way of ppt. on the visor.
    IYYAYAS

AMMO - Providing the enemy the opportunity to die for his country.
    Originally posted by icthus
    I found a program the other day (I can't remember what it was now) that convert power point presentations for the visor. The only thing was, with as large as the files came out, there was no way I was going to have room on my visor. I would love to see more research/development done in the way of ppt. on the visor.

The program was probably powerViewer by ibrite. I have not tried it because of the concerns you mentioned (file size) as well as some negative comments about it on PalmGear. My hope is they will add some sort of viewing program to Presenter-to-Go . The current software for that module apparently has good compression of PowerPoint slides but you cannot view the slides on your Visor. A lot of folks have complained about a lack of animation and transitions with this module but I find those annoying and distracting anyway. Since I do a lot of presentations, I'll probably get that module anyway but it would be great to have the ability to view (and review) the presentation!
    Donate Blood!!!
    Originally posted by Pathdoc
    A lot of folks have complained about a lack of animation and transitions with this module but I find those annoying and distracting anyway.
    Distracting & annoying, how can you say that? I just finished my latest Power Point for my Cisco class on ISDN, and if didn't have an animation of Godzilla comming down, roaring, and crushing a router I don't know how I'd have any fun!
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    Originally posted by Matthew Nichols

Distracting & annoying, how can you say that? I just finished my latest Power Point for my Cisco class on ISDN, and if didn't have an animation of Godzilla comming down, roaring, and crushing a router I don't know how I'd have any fun!
    I guess it depends upon the audience. My talks are either lectures to medical students or residents or continuing medical education talks to other physicians. Godzilla wouldn't go over to well. Whenever I have tried to use transitions, they suddenly either stop working or slooooow down half-way through the talk, despite working great during practice (hence the annoying comment).
    Donate Blood!!!
    There is also http://www.synsolutions.com/software...showcommander/ for Powerpoint viewing.
    My Treo has more memory than I do.
    Deleted
    Originally posted by j762538
    There is also http://www.synsolutions.com/software...showcommander/ for Powerpoint viewing.

Have you tried Slide Show Commander? I am having a difficult time figuring out exactly what it does from the information on the Synsolution's site. It appears that it allows you to connect your handheld to a laptop running PowerPoint and the presentation via a serial cable. You can then control your PowerPoint presentation via your handheld, including writing on the slides with your stylus. This is then projected (nifty)! It appears, however, you can only see the slides on your handheld if it is connected to the laptop via the serial cable. Is this last statement correct?

It offers some interesting functionality but my goal is to ditch the laptop, at least for the presentation and the review/practice. I figure I will still need a desktop or laptop to create the slide show.
    Donate Blood!!!
    Sorry, never tried it.
    Originally posted by Pathdoc

Have you tried Slide Show Commander? I am having a difficult time figuring out exactly what it does from the information on the Synsolution's site. It appears that it allows you to connect your handheld to a laptop running PowerPoint and the presentation via a serial cable. You can then control your PowerPoint presentation via your handheld, including writing on the slides with your stylus. This is then projected (nifty)! It appears, however, you can only see the slides on your handheld if it is connected to the laptop via the serial cable. Is this last statement correct?

It offers some interesting functionality but my goal is to ditch the laptop, at least for the presentation and the review/practice. I figure I will still need a desktop or laptop to create the slide show.
    The entire point of Slide Show commander is to not have a laptop at all. Basically you hook up the projector to the module, and you control the entire presentation from the visor itself.

BEN
    Just to make certain, are you talking about Presenter-to-Go (it is a Spring Board Module) or Slide Show Commander (program sold with a serial cable)?

If what you said is true about Slide Show Commander then this looks like a cheaper alternative to Presenter-to-Go.
    Last edited by Pathdoc; 04/30/2001 at 07:32 AM.
    Donate Blood!!!
    Originally posted by BEN

The entire point of Slide Show commander is to not have a laptop at all. Basically you hook up the projector to the module, and you control the entire presentation from the visor itself.

BEN
    Well, I downloaded Slide Show Commander demo and installed it. It functions by allowing your handheld to control the computer on which PowerPoint and your slide show are running. You must connect your handheld to the other computer either by connecting a serial cable to your handheld, this is then plugged into the other computer, or by placing your handheld in its cradle that has been connected to the other computer. The other computer then connects to the digital projector. Basically it turns your handheld into a mouse with additional functions such as the ability to annotate the slides by writing in the Graffiti area.

You still need a laptop connected to a projector (unlike Presenter-to-Go where you only need the module) and you cannot view the presentation on your handheld (unlike powerViewer) if it is not connected to the computer. It, therefore, does not fulfill my need of replacing the laptop. I hope Presenter-to-Go adds the ability to view the presentation on your handheld (like powerViewer), then it would be perfect for me!
    Donate Blood!!!