Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 30353637383940414243 LastLast
    Thanks all for your input! So, from what I gathered, I should try this again, via the SD card method. Then, re-install all my 3rd party apps one-by-one, backing up after each. A couple of questions (because I still a little new to all of this)

1) Is there a good freeware back-up program? I don't currently use one, except for my goodlink account.

2) Will I need to set-up a new user profile to prevent possible issues from re-occurring?

3) How long should I wait between installing each 3rd party app before trying another?

Oh, yes. I also have seen a significant decrease in battery life.

Thanks again to all!!
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Best Free Backup app is called NVbackup. It even backs up and restores Java correctly.
    I would defenitly setup a new user profile and, make sure that the Palm Install app does not have any junk it wants to install when you do a Hot-Sync.

I got the update right away and did the SD method and , for the first few days everything seemed faster, and I had less dropped calls. Now, however, I also am seeing a battery decrease (I have the Sedio exteneed 2100) and I don't know why. I use Chatter but I manualy fetch the mail.

I am doing a hard reset and am going to reinstall the newer Patch and all apps one by one. I wouldn't think there would be a "time" preference in terms of installing them, but I would do a few, play around , and then do the other apps.

Quote Originally Posted by ndurantz View Post
    Thanks all for your input! So, from what I gathered, I should try this again, via the SD card method. Then, re-install all my 3rd party apps one-by-one, backing up after each. A couple of questions (because I still a little new to all of this)

1) Is there a good freeware back-up program? I don't currently use one, except for my goodlink account.

2) Will I need to set-up a new user profile to prevent possible issues from re-occurring?

3) How long should I wait between installing each 3rd party app before trying another?

Oh, yes. I also have seen a significant decrease in battery life.

Thanks again to all!!
    Quote Originally Posted by howiej1 View Post
    Best Free Backup app is called NVbackup. It even backs up and restores Java correctly.
    I would defenitly setup a new user profile and, make sure that the Palm Install app does not have any junk it wants to install when you do a Hot-Sync.

I got the update right away and did the SD method and , for the first few days everything seemed faster, and I had less dropped calls. Now, however, I also am seeing a battery decrease (I have the Sedio exteneed 2100) and I don't know why. I use Chatter but I manualy fetch the mail.

I am doing a hard reset and am going to reinstall the newer Patch and all apps one by one. I wouldn't think there would be a "time" preference in terms of installing them, but I would do a few, play around , and then do the other apps.
    One thing to remember when trying to start with a "clean" system is that you will need to rename your Backup directory (under the Palm\UserName directory) before doing your first Hotsync. When you sync for the first time you will be asked to enter a new user name or select from the existing user accounts on that computer. Select your previous user name and since you renamed your Backup directory all it will do is hotsync your data from Outlook.

Regarding backup programs, I've been a longtime user of BackupBuddy, but I have to say that I've had nothing but problems recently and with the new release where either some files don't get restored or it crashes during a full restore.

I also used NVBackup and that has worked much better for me when doing a full restore (which I did the first time I applied the MR), but there may still be some issues because I ran into new problems after restoring my backup after the first application of the MR.

For now I'm using both BackupBuddy and NVBackup and creating separate backup files for each of my checkpoints (both for redundancy and so I can roll back to one of several "safe" baselines.).

I don't think I've noticed a signficant decrease in battery life yet, but I've been busy installing and testing since starting this last rebuild process and have been plugged in much of the time.

Good luck!
    sorry for the newbie question...but after we perform this update....and say we have to do a hard reset again....do we have to install this update again.....or is it permanently on the treo now? thanks guys
    It's permanently on your Treo after a successful install.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    It's permanently on your Treo after a successful install.
    thank you....ahh what a relief...can you imagine if we had to re-install the MR every time we hard reseted our treos...(every week for me)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMooch View Post
    Any battery drain indicators? I may be seeing a faster than normal drain, but I have no idea as never really pay attention to it (spare battery in the cradle on my desk).
    I definitily noticed this. My battery is half-way drained (with a full charge this morning) and the day is not even over....I'm not even a power user....maybe used it for 50 mins for takling and maybe 30 mins of web browsing...no BT usage...weird
    Okay. So before trying anything else, I downloaded NVbackup and backed up everything. I then went to the Sprint store and had them test my phone. It apparently was broken, so they replaced it with a new one and I restored from the backup. I had a couple of freezes later that day, but so far seems to be better.

The phone had 1.10 on it from the start, so I am thinking I won't be able to install the latest MR release - guess I don't need to? Anyway, I have to reprovision my Goodlink account, so I am going to hard reset and re-install apps one-by-one and hopefully have a better Treo "experience." Thanks to all of you for being so helpful walking me through this!
    Okay. Now I am looking at my NVbackup and I don't know what half these files are! So, is there a Palm reinstall from NV backup for dummies that tells me what all these different files do? I tried to reinstall what I thought would be the right files, but my Treo just ended up in a re-set loop. Had to do a hard reset again.
    I decided to wait to install the update. I downloaded it today from the Palm website and started to follow their directions but quickly ran into a snag. The Palm site says that when I double click the zipped file it should unzip into a single Palm folder containing several individual files. Instead, I get a huge list of individual files. I am reluctant to copy the files as is to my blank SD card and attempt the install that way. Can anyone confirm that would be safe, or do I need to have the single Palm folder on the SD card for the install to work properly. In light of all the problems I'm not feeling too courageous.
    Thanks.
    on the blank sd card ... just drag and drop the folder named palm onto the sdcard drive

dont even look at the files inside the palm folder

if there is a folder on the sdcard that already says palm, delete that and just copy the one that was within the zip file
    Quote Originally Posted by italiangspot View Post
    on the blank sd card ... just drag and drop the folder named palm onto the sdcard drive

dont even look at the files inside the palm folder

if there is a folder on the sdcard that already says palm, delete that and just copy the one that was within the zip file

Thanks, but that was my point -- there is no folder named Palm. Just lots and lots of individual files.
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighTreo View Post
    Thanks, but that was my point -- there is no folder named Palm. Just lots and lots of individual files.
    Create a folder on your SD card and rename it "Palm" then copy and paste all those individual files into the folder.

Stick the SD in your palm and see what happens....

This is just a suggestion, and any action on your part resulting in fire, explosion, or loud noise free's me from any responsibilities. Do this at your own risk. Wear safety clothing. Never feed your treo afterdark or get it wet. Look bothways before crossing the street. Wear a safety belt always. Use a helmet. Never look directly at the sun. Refrain from using hand gestures in a foreign country. Diving into the shallow end of a pool is bad. Finish your glass of milk. Eat your broccoli, Never ogle at another man's woman. Don't spit into the wind, and never tug on Superman's cape.
    Regards,

2smart4phone
    Quote Originally Posted by 2smart4phone View Post
    Create a folder on your SD card and rename it "Palm" then copy and paste all those individual files into the folder.

This is just a suggestion, and any action on your part resulting in fire, explosion, or loud noise free's me from any responsibilities. Do this at your own risk. Wear safety clothing. Never feed your treo afterdark or get it wet. Look bothways before crossing the street. Wear a safety belt always. Use a helmet. Never look directly at the sun. Refrain from using hand gestures in a foreign country. Diving into the shallow end of a pool is bad. Finish your glass of milk. Eat your broccoli, Never ogle at another man's woman. Don't spit into the wind, and never tug on Superman's cape.
    Since you didn't explicitly disclaim bricking my Treo I could probably still hold you liable if that happens.

I considered that initially but decided to seek other opinions because the Palm website says that even within the Palm folder that's supposed to be there, there should only be "several individual files." Now do you see my dilemna?

Of course, if I brick the phone it could provide a good excuse to try an iPhone . . .
    Since you didn't explicitly disclaim bricking my Treo I could probably still hold you liable if that happens.

I considered that initially but decided to seek other opinions because the Palm website says that even within the Palm folder that's supposed to be there, there should only be "several individual files." Now do you see my dilemna?

Of course, if I brick the phone it could provide a good excuse to try an iPhone . . .
    "Bricking" is a hidden feature of all Treos. No disclaimer needed.

Iphone? Let's not go there....
    Regards,

2smart4phone
    I decided to wait to install the update. I downloaded it today from the Palm website and started to follow their directions but quickly ran into a snag. The Palm site says that when I double click the zipped file it should unzip into a single Palm folder containing several individual files. Instead, I get a huge list of individual files. I am reluctant to copy the files as is to my blank SD card and attempt the install that way. Can anyone confirm that would be safe, or do I need to have the single Palm folder on the SD card for the install to work properly. In light of all the problems I'm not feeling too courageous.
    Thanks.
    That is unsual, sounds like the original USB installer file instead.

The original SD installer when unzipped produced the 'Palm' folder, inside this there were other files including a start file that allowed the MR to commence installation automatically upon insertion of the SD card to the Treo.

I have the original copy of the Palm SD installer, if you are interested I can send you a copy via email - PM me if you want it.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo

I created my own Palm folder and dumped all the files into it on my SD card without a safety belt or helmet(i.e. may be a little luck ) and all I know is I have a 755p performer in a 700p shell, and I am a happy camper.
    at&t iPhone3G
    always wear a condom too.

did mine last night ... initally sent the phone into a looping reset... three hours later i was able to re-install the MR and get the phone working

PS - don't call sprint - they suck.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.