Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 21262728293031323334353641 ... LastLast
    I was hoping in your case that it was the PALM folder trap that some have fallen into.

Obviously I was also posting for others that didnt quite understand the whole SD card install thing.

I had to go to the SD card route last night after about 2-3 hours of the hotsync trials and endless reset loops.

The SD card route went smooth for me and Im sorry for those that are having trouble.

Im surprised the replacement units the Sprint store arent already flashed to 1.10 before they hand them out.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
  2. qqq
    Quote Originally Posted by SE5907 View Post
    Can you post a link or more info on this dongle please?
    The one I got is a Jabra A210. It seems to work fine. I only have to charge mine about once a week, but I don't spend a ton of time talking on it.
    This is the procedure I tried on my June 2006 700p and it worked without incident. It took about 30 mins to do the whole upgrade process. It is as obsessively clean a procedure as I could envision as I didn't want to take any chances with app conflicts since I didn't have a whole lot on there in the first place. If people do this procedure and still have issues then it would almost be a given that the root cause is your specific Treo and not the upgrade....

1) Hotsync and export your calendar, contacts, and memos (I deleted my profile at the end and restored the PIM data off of the exported data).

2) Prep the SD card based install.

3) Hard Reset Treo (without the card in it)

4) Remove battery, wait 5 minutes, reinsert battery (there is no factual evidence to support this will accomplish anything, however, I figured it could help be resetting the hardware on the phone.

5) Reinsert battery, allow treo to boot up, go through the config.

6) Connect to AC wall charger, insert SD Card, and perform update

7) After the update is completely finished and everything is done, perform another hard reset (this is really unecessary), but I figured it would at least guarantee I'm booting off of a completely clean new ROM image.

8) Create new profile, load exported data in, reinstall apps one-by-one.

This worked very well for me. Based on what I've been reading I'm not sure it will work for everyone else, I'm beginning to suspect that not all 700p's were created alike, if someone goes through this procedure on a Treo there should be no conceivable way for the update to fail unless there was a defect in the actual hardware of the phone. From what I'm reading it sounds like one common problem is that the phone data section of the ROM on some phones (MPL, HSSN data) is prone to corruption either because of the update process or maybe it was always that way and the update just shines a light on the problem.
    Is anyone finding that everytime you should be hearing an error tone, you also hear the * tone from the dial pad? It happens every time, on every reboot.
    Quote Originally Posted by thesteev View Post
    Is anyone finding that everytime you should be hearing an error tone, you also hear the * tone from the dial pad? It happens every time, on every reboot.
    Yes, there is another thread on this already in this forum, and apparently it is already a known issue with the 755p. It would seem that this really is the ROM image from the 755p as it seems that we have gotten all of the bad along with the good.
    So maybe TC should now combine the 755P and 700P discussion groups so we don't have to go checking two seperate groups

j/k
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Does anyone have a HUGE lag betwwen VersaMail and any other application? I switch quickly between all bu VersaMail. In fact, when in VersaMail and I try to go to any other app (such as the phone app), I get 3-4 clicks a lag and then it switches. Anyone getting this?

davidnotdave
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Add me to the list of folks who updated via SD card without incident.

First, I did my BackupMan backup (and NVBackup because I'm paranoid).
    Then Hard Reset.

I copied the SD update stuff from the .zip file to an SD card (with other stuff on it).

I turned off the phone radio and plugged the Treo into a wall charger, and inserted the SD card.

The sequence of events did not quite match the description on the palm website, but here's what happened (times are approximate):

Time = 0:00 Warning message pops up, tap on "Proceed".
    Time = 0:05 White screen with "Please Wait" and nothing visible happening.
    Time = 1:00 "Update Device ROM, process will take 5 minutes" screen.
    Time = 6:00 Reboot, default app launcher goes to card then runs Treo Updater
    Time = 7:00 "Please Wait" again followed by "Treo Updater" screen with progress bar.
    Time = 7:30 "Backing up items..."
    Time = 11:00 "Initializing..."
    Time = 12:30 "Programming Modem..."
    Time = 22:30 "Restoring Items..."
    Time = 25:30 "Programming PRL..."
    Time = 25:50 "Programming [???]..."
    Time = 26:00 Reboot.
    Time = 26:40 Touchscreen calibration screen.

I restored everything from the BackupMan backup.

So far everything seems to work as it should and I've seen none of the bugs that others have reported like the spurious touch tone, memos crashing, or missing map button in contacts. I d/l'ed GoogleMaps again just in case.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

ERic
    Samsung SCH-8500 & Palm m515 --> Treo600 --> Treo650 --> Treo700p --> Epic4G (all on Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajabbari View Post
    This worked very well for me. Based on what I've been reading I'm not sure it will work for everyone else, I'm beginning to suspect that not all 700p's were created alike, if someone goes through this procedure on a Treo there should be no conceivable way for the update to fail unless there was a defect in the actual hardware of the phone.
    I would agree with this as I've tried it myself on different phones and have gotten different results. It's more evidence for me that this is a half baked MR...
    Is it a bug? After MR, I call *2, I turn the speak phone on while I am waiting for the tech support. When I am ready to talk to the tech guy, I press "cancel speaker phone" and my phone still on the speaker. I press the same buttons few times and it still on the speaker phone. Anyone getting that too after the MR??
    Quote Originally Posted by batmon View Post
    Is it a bug? After MR, I call *2, I turn the speak phone on while I am waiting for the tech support. When I am ready to talk to the tech guy, I press "cancel speaker phone" and my phone still on the speaker. I press the same buttons few times and it still on the speaker phone. Anyone getting that too after the MR??
    I made a call yesterday and my phone app locked up. I had to do a soft reset to hang up. I also noticed the phone app seems to respond slowly to other fuctions (like the one you mentioned). Its definitely a little buggy after the MR
    I am going to run it without restoring my data for a week or so, so I can get a feel for the baseline performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicman247 View Post
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...treo700psprint

Oh and...FIRST! (thanks Homie, almost forgot)
    "We're sorry, but it's temporarily unavailable: We have received isolated reports of an installation issue, so we've removed the Sprint Treo 700p updater from our site. We're investigating the issue and will make the Sprint Treo 700p updater available again as soon as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience.

If you have experienced an issue with the maintenance release installation, please contact us: 1-866-750-7256"
    I did it via the SD install (I reformatted the chip with the palm). I did a hard reset first. Installed flawless. But it did try re-provisioning a few times even though it worked fine with blazer.

After I restored my data (with NVbackup) when it restarted I kept getting a blank white screen at the very end of the reboot process. I restarted a few times with this issue. I then caught a glimpse of yes/no question (big buttons for the response) before the screen went clear, I think it was the re-provisioning issue, but it might just have been a "can I go on-line" question. But I tapped the screen at that point where the big "yes" button was (near the 7/8 buttons on the phone display?) and it went back to normal.

Then it tried to re-provision a few more times (failing) but all the apps worked googlemaps/blazer/versamail and then it stopped after a few more tries (I did try to force it to connect i the preferences too).

It's been perfect so far other than those few oddball things above.

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    Quote Originally Posted by HolyHannah View Post
    "We're sorry, but it's temporarily unavailable: We have received isolated reports of an installation issue, so we've removed the Sprint Treo 700p updater from our site. We're investigating the issue and will make the Sprint Treo 700p updater available again as soon as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience.

If you have experienced an issue with the maintenance release installation, please contact us: 1-866-750-7256"
    OMG thats effin epic.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    OMG thats effin epic.
    So much for waiting!!
    Tina T
    MCP, MCSE, MCDBA, VCP

Sharp Zaurus > Cassiopeia A-20 > Casio E-115 > Psion 3 > Phillips VELO 1 > Palm V > Treo 90 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4G > Samsung Epic 4G > HTC EVO 4G Shift & a rooted Nook Color!! (But still have nothing but love and hope for Palm)
    Good thing I saved it into a folder on my PC and I have it in case I need it again.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    Good thing I saved it into a folder on my PC and I have it in case I need it again.
    I'm feeling brave.... Can you post it?
    Tina T
    MCP, MCSE, MCDBA, VCP

Sharp Zaurus > Cassiopeia A-20 > Casio E-115 > Psion 3 > Phillips VELO 1 > Palm V > Treo 90 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4G > Samsung Epic 4G > HTC EVO 4G Shift & a rooted Nook Color!! (But still have nothing but love and hope for Palm)
    Be glad you waited. I have spent nearly 7 hours on this frickin' phone today. Tried the tethered install and bricked one. Actually convinced the sprint store to give me a new 700p (not refurbed--they ran out) and tried it again, following the directions explicitly. Now I get a reset loop that can't be fixed with the removal-of-the-battery-and-update trick. So I try to get the file for the SD install and NOW they decide they shouldn't have released the update.

I would like to say I am done with Palm but I will probably just take it up the @ss and spend another 7 hours on the phone or in line at the sprint store trying to fix this one or replace it with a 755p.

Anybody tried the 866 number?
    PM me with your email address and Ill email it to you.
    There is no spoon.