Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I figured I'd throw this out there since I see the same threads/posts popping up with notes like, "Guys, it's just an MR. Why are you so hostile?" It's my last say in the matter since, yeah, it's just a phone. Luckily this is "just a board."

The short answer is, it's not the phone: it's the customer service. I'm on my second 700p. From what I understand, that's not a big deal, though I'm thinking about getting it replaced again due to the random resets, etc. All in all, I'm pretty dang happy with my phone. It works great, with a few exceptions, like bluetooth. But do I feel like I got what I paid for, pretty much. Also, I'm with Sprint - so maybe I get my MR today

What concerns me (and I posted this on Palm't blog) is their customer service. I've seen Palm blow at least two MR release dates that they gave! If that was a video game, I could see it. Look at Duke Nukem Forever - that stuff's vaporware. Unfortunately, Palm't not a video game company, and for them to blow several release dates makes it look like amateur hour back at the Palm ranch.

Is it the carriers' fault? Who cares! Palm's the public face of the phone, and the MR; It's their problem. If the carriers were really that finicky then why the hell would Palm give a firm MR release date in the first place? Maybe the guys at Palm should have had better parents? My momma always told me not to make promises I couldn't keep.

Better yet, if all this truly was the carriers fault, that would mean they were the reason Palm blew their oft-mentioned end-of-Q1 release date. If that's the case, then why would Palm rely on them again when to give us a "Week of May 28th" release date as well? I'm reminded of the maxim: "Fool me once, shame on you; Fool me twice, shame on me." If this is all the carriers' fault, as some of you suppose, then Palm seems to be filled with a lot of very gullible people.

Suffice it to say, this blown MR release, to me is not the issue. What's worrisome is that this whole thing is simply a symptom of deeper customer-service related issues at Palm. Does my phone work? You bet. Am I going to buy another Palm device given the possibility that I might one day be on the receiving end of Palm's current level of support - probably not.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    At the moment...it's neither.

SMEGGIE
    Yer pal,

SMEGGIE

A bigger Treo fan than I'll admit.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    If the carriers were that picky, why did they release such a buggy phone in the first place? If Sprint and Verizon are so tough on the manufacturer, and require months of testing prior to release of a new device, how did this device (700p) ever make it to market?

I think both Palm and the phone companies should take equal blame for this mess.
    Keeping in mind that the Foleo had resources tied up, and that maybe the problems that needed fixing werent easy...I would say that Palm definitely underestimated their workload. Bring to light that Palm is now more about the bottom line (well, now theyre just trying to stay afloat), our old expectations of their innovation and customer service is going to diminish to that of more traditional companies! Fixing an old product isnt going to affect the bottom line like introducing a new one. Palm has turned into the company that we have feared (and ran away from, in my instance)!
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Keeping in mind that the Foleo had resources tied up, and that maybe the problems that needed fixing werent easy...I would say that Palm definitely underestimated their workload. Bring to light that Palm is now more about the bottom line (well, now theyre just trying to stay afloat), our old expectations of their innovation and customer service is going to diminish to that of more traditional companies! Fixing an old product isnt going to affect the bottom line like introducing a new one. Palm has turned into the company that we have feared (and ran away from, in my instance)!
    They underestimated their workload, their timelines and hopefully, their installed base.

SMEGGIE
    Yer pal,

SMEGGIE

A bigger Treo fan than I'll admit.