Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1.    #1  
    I am so ticked at the late MR release from VZ, as well as the late release of most phones. I am considering switching to Sprint. If you have switched, are you happy with the service? Is building penetration, hills and valleys, etc. similar? Thanks in advance.
  2. #2  
    I went from Sprint to VZ and back to Sprint in the last 10 years or so. Originally, I moved to VZ due to coverage gaps in Sprint's service and VZ's coverage and customer service were great. About a year or so ago I switched back to Sprint and noticed the coverage was at least 90%-95% as good as VZ and the gaps were not noticable in daily use. FWIW, I am not talking on my phone 8 hours a day so YMMV depending on area and use. One place where VZ shines is customer service, it is awful at Sprint compared to VZ. With that said, pricing and available phones will keep me at Sprint for the foreseeable future.
  3. #3  
    I just posted about this on another thread but I am very happy with my SERO 500 plan.
    Much more goodies than VZW for a much better price.
    Obviously coverage is a matter of where you live. Mine isn't as good as VZW but in 3 weeks, I have only had 2 dropped calls and the phone does roam a little it in my town.
    So I admit VZW has better coverage than Sprint in my area but if VZW was getting 9 on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give Sprint a 6.5.
    Overall, I am satisfied (free EVDO and being able to watch NFL Network on your Treo can make you feel that way).
  4. #4  
    On Sprint, you can always switch to "forced roaming" mode when you know you will be traveling through a trouble spot. That roaming carrier is usually VZ.

    Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

    Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
  5. mircury's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    #5  
    If you go to Sprint just pray you don't have to deal with their customer service. They are unbelievable. I didn't even know it was possible to be that bad.
  6. rotlex's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    #6  
    Been with Sprint over 5 years now and could not be happier. Great coverage/reception and an unbeatable data plan. You just can't beat $10.00 a month unlimited power vision. Granted, I'm grandfathered in that, but still, I believe it only averages $15 a month now.
  7. noodle's Avatar
    Posts
    536 Posts
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    #7  
    No one ever mentions their location with these discussions. I live in New england and sprint's network is not up to par with verizon's. I would love to switch to sprint...their prices, and rules are much better, but the service just isn't there yet...Verizon is just hands down better coverage right now, but hopefully this will change.

    I know a few of you will comment about roaming, but it just doesn't work well up here. I know from personal experience and word of mouth from many of my peers...
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
  8. richpjr's Avatar
    Posts
    98 Posts
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    #8  
    I'm not thrilled with Verizon but it would take a whole lot more in a phone than the 700p to make me switch carriers.
  9. Jeffois's Avatar
    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    #9  
    Switched from VZW couple of years ago. I was nervous, because going back several years before, Sprint had earned a rep as having massive holes in coverage around here. (NY Metro area) Have had no issues with coverage, dropped calls are infrequent, and certainly no worse than what I experienced with VZW. Was happy with coverage with both. Switched because Sprint was the only carrier of Samsung flip palm phone. Stuck with them for the 700p.
  10. efudd's Avatar
    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com View Post
    On Sprint, you can always switch to "forced roaming" mode when you know you will be traveling through a trouble spot. That roaming carrier is usually VZ.


    it wont ALWAYS pick up the good verizon tower. The PRL limits what towers you are allowed on and for whatever reason there are dead spots on sprint that verizon is fine but you can't roam there.
  11. #11  
    I switched to get the SERO plan last June. My ''companion'' (that's my new word since D) switched from Verizon to SERO last November. We use the phones all over NJ from Monmouth Cty north. Also Palm Beach Cty Fl. He has a Razr something and is very pleased with the service. Sprint is superior to Verizon at the NJ shore.

    Sprint certainly equals Verizon where we use it. We recently drove from Florida to NJ and I used my 700p regularly. Only 1 roaming incident and that was near Quantico, so it was probably a fluke.

    But I agree Sprint's customer service is unusual. My advice - find someone bright in a store and let them bully the system. That's what hubby did and it worked well for him. I called myself and had some exciting adventures, but in fairness some of the reps were good.

    I think most services let you reactivate if you switch and you're not happy, so try it.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com View Post
    On Sprint, you can always switch to "forced roaming" mode when you know you will be traveling through a trouble spot. That roaming carrier is usually VZ.
    And for those who don't know, VZ gets ~60% of their coverage from Sprint..... If you take away their ability to roam onto Sprint, they wouldn't have that great of coverage....
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    it wont ALWAYS pick up the good verizon tower. The PRL limits what towers you are allowed on and for whatever reason there are dead spots on sprint that verizon is fine but you can't roam there.
    A good suggestion (and you may already do this) is to update your PRL on a regular basis. All it takes is to call Customer Service (for this it's really easy) and say "Customer Service" and then "Customer Service". When you get to a rep just say you want your PRL updated on your phone. They will mark your phone with the flag and you then dial back Customer Service and it will automatically update your PRL on your phone.

    Most problems people have with Sprint phones is an out of date PRL....
  14. efudd's Avatar
    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmHead View Post
    ...We use the phones all over NJ from Monmouth Cty north. Also Palm Beach Cty Fl. He has a Razr something and is very pleased with the service. Sprint is superior to Verizon at the NJ shore. .
    it's not the "populated" areas that sprint is second rate to vz. It's out in the boonies like Hunterdon country or down in the pine barrens. Or other "fringe" type locations like in NYC subway stations or deep inside buildings.


    I currently have verizon but had sprint for like 6 years- I'd give sprint better marks then even some of the sprint folks above- I'd say that sprints network is like 98-99% of verizon's. But the more I think of it the 800 mhz likley just gives them an edge in the former BA-NYNEX areas- the 800mhz cell signals travel further and through more stuff then the 1900mhz pcs signals. Much of vz's network is 1900- but they have 800 all over the older areas to get you that benefit.
  15. efudd's Avatar
    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by jerdog76 View Post
    And for those who don't know, VZ gets ~60% of their coverage from Sprint..... If you take away their ability to roam onto Sprint, they wouldn't have that great of coverage....

    Where's that come from?

    Curious.
  16. efudd's Avatar
    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by jerdog76 View Post
    A good suggestion (and you may already do this) is to update your PRL on a regular basis. All it takes is to call Customer Service (for this it's really easy) and say "Customer Service" and then "Customer Service". When you get to a rep just say you want your PRL updated on your phone. They will mark your phone with the flag and you then dial back Customer Service and it will automatically update your PRL on your phone.

    Most problems people have with Sprint phones is an out of date PRL....
    I had sprint for 6 years- and knew to resularly update the PRL. Trust me there are places where someone (not sure iof it's vz or sprint) just wont let you roam even though the service from sprint is spotty and verizon's is strong (at least for those 6 years- things may have changed int he past 24 months).

    If you are in a complete DEAD spot- then they let you roam- the problem is the areas where sprint has fringe coverage. For example- there's a few spots in western NJ were you would drop a call on sprint for maybe a mile or two on a rural road. But on verizon you get fine coverage there. No matter what you tried in those spots you couldn't get the phone to make the call on verizon.

    Again this all probably varies from area to area so people should check with folks in their own area first (and be willing to "test drive" the new netwrok in their local areas).

    As someone above posted- in the shore areas of NJ sprint is better- conversly I know that in the western end of the state VZ is better. NJ is TINY compared to most states- so even just 50-60 miles apart there is a difference of which company has better coverage.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    As someone above posted- in the shore areas of NJ sprint is better- conversly I know that in the western end of the state VZ is better. NJ is TINY compared to most states- so even just 50-60 miles apart there is a difference of which company has better coverage.
    I'm in Ocean County (NJ) and have Verizon. I never end up roaming, no matter where I go. My EVDO coverage in Toms River, Brick and Lakewood is very good too.

    One thing that keeps me from changing is that 3/4 of the people we know have Verizon service. Just about every person in the office I work at has Verizon also. In-calling makes a difference.

    I have been tempted by the Sprint prices and the fact that they have been putting up new towers in the area. It is something I'll revisit after my new contract runs out next year. I'll have to see better reports about their customer service before I'd consider jumping off Verizon. It's not just on-line where I have heard negative comments about the CSR's.

    Cingular (AT&T now) is not even a consideration. I had them for a one year contract. If I was expecting an important call while home, I'd have to drive at least a block away and sit in my car waiting for it. The local pizza shop got a lot of business from me that year. LOL Friends with Cingular still have problems when they come to the house.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    Where's that come from?

    Curious.
    I'm sure he just threw out a number but yes, contrary to popular belief, a significant part of VZW's network is roaming or fallback on Sprint. Of course the opposite is also true. Verizon isn't the be all-end all of networks. They have problem areas too and have to rely on roaming partners such as Sprint to patch up their network.
  19. efudd's Avatar
    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinTek View Post
    I'm in Ocean County (NJ) and have Verizon. I never end up roaming, no matter where I go. My EVDO coverage in Toms River, Brick and Lakewood is very good too.

    One thing that keeps me from changing is that 3/4 of the people we know have Verizon service. Just about every person in the office I work at has Verizon also. In-calling makes a difference.

    I have been tempted by the Sprint prices and the fact that they have been putting up new towers in the area. It is something I'll revisit after my new contract runs out next year. I'll have to see better reports about their customer service before I'd consider jumping off Verizon. It's not just on-line where I have heard negative comments about the CSR's.

    Cingular (AT&T now) is not even a consideration. I had them for a one year contract. If I was expecting an important call while home, I'd have to drive at least a block away and sit in my car waiting for it. The local pizza shop got a lot of business from me that year. LOL Friends with Cingular still have problems when they come to the house.

    in calling certainly is a consideration.

    But to tell you the truth I was never greatly offended by sprints customer service. I mean how often do you TYPICALLY need to deal with them. We have 7 lines- treos over the years, my wife and partners kids always wrecking their phones- and even then maybe I speak to a csr 4-5 times a year. So how often do you really need to deal with them even if they do stink.

    I've dealt with boobs at both sprint and vz. One think i like with VZ is that since it's business oriented for my account we get a guy assigned to us and that's my guy. I pretty much tell him in an email what i need want and he handles all the arguing that needs to be done. Sort of like i get a concierge or something. So if you have a business account maybe verizon gets you better service but for personal accounts or business acccounts with less than 6 lines I would rate them a wash.
  20. efudd's Avatar
    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang View Post
    I'm sure he just threw out a number but yes, contrary to popular belief, a significant part of VZW's network is roaming or fallback on Sprint. Of course the opposite is also true. Verizon isn't the be all-end all of networks. They have problem areas too and have to rely on roaming partners such as Sprint to patch up their network.
    I suspect that once you leave the Verizon core areas you must be roaming.

    But if you live in the northeast in the former Bell Atlantic Nynex areas. Or someplace where GTE was around for a long time (the west coast?) then I'd think verizon covers very well. But I can see how they would be at a disadvantage outside those areas. So likely in much of the middle of the country you are roaming on VZ.

    Im curious if the guy has the source becasue I would imagine that for 60% of the AREA of the US you just might be roaming on vz. But I'd bet that as far as population they probabaly natively cover 80+% of the population.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions