Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This has certainly been an interesting week here at the 700P TC forum. It has been somewhat of a battleground around here. I have to admit, I was right there in the thick of it with everyone else.

Coming into this week, I was anxiously awaiting this mega update that was supposed to give me an all new revitalized 700p... We were all waiting on the edge of our seats for this update that has become somewhat of a holy grail...

When the business week came to an end and Palm slipped in an announcement that the MR was going to be, yet again, delayed; I was furious with them. I felt cheated... Then, I watched this forum descend into petty jabs at palm and flames at each other. All of this over an update to a phone.

I have been with Verizon for better than 10 years as a business user and currently have 8 lines with them. I seriously thought about jumping ship or as a minimum getting a BB 8830 for myself. Given my history with Verizon and the size of my account with them, I could probably do enough complaining to get a BB8830 at a good cost, so shelling out the money was not an issue.

Today I pulled out my 700p, looked at it, and said to myself: I really like this device, despite it's shortcomings. It does at times irritate me, but 75% of the time, I love my 700p. It is the best phone I've ever owned. For me, it is better than anything verizon has to offer in terms of smart phones. If Verizon had the 755, I would probably try to get it, but in the absence of this I am fine with my 700P.

MR or not, I'd keep my 700p until the 755P or better came out. I don't want a BB nor do I want a WM phone.

Yes, Palm has jacked us around and this isn't right. They need to know that they can't do this and hope to keep customers long term. However, here and now, I like my 700p and I'm not changing. I really do hope the MR comes our for my Verizon phone soon and will lean on the Verizon tech people for it, but I'm not going to chuck my 700p if it doesn't come out.

Greg
    Last edited by gzartman; 06/04/2007 at 10:17 AM.
    I too am with Verizon, and my experience is quite different. As a phone, the Treo 700P sucks. All of the issues identified here apply to the phone features most annoyingly. I simply like having a Palm PDA paired with a phone- I could live without the internet & e-mail. There is nothing better, it stinks that what we need is so flawed.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister View Post
    I too am with Verizon, and my experience is quite different. As a phone, the Treo 700P sucks. All of the issues identified here apply to the phone features most annoyingly. I simply like having a Palm PDA paired with a phone- I could live without the internet & e-mail. There is nothing better, it stinks that what we need is so flawed.
    I'm with Verizon, and have 7 lines. For a while, I thought about getting a new number for my 700pos, and putting my old number on a Motorola Razr or something. Use the Palm for email and web surfing, and the Moto for the nice small phone factor.

It reminded me of the old days where I had a Palm Vx and a Moto phone. And that was the problem - it was like the bad old days.

So, I'm waiting for my $199.00 BB 8830 to arrive, and waiting for the MR to sell my 700pos in good consciense. Got the nice Seidio Extended battery and the nice belt clip - so, it should be a quick sell. Now, I'm shopping for accessories for the 8830.
    =====================================================================================
    Palm Pilot, Palm Vx, Kyo 6035, Kyo 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700pos and FINALLY:
    BLACKBERRY 8830, because it just WORKS!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister View Post
    As a phone, the Treo 700P sucks.
    WRONG! your 700p may suck...and i am sure that there are others out there that suck as well.

what i can't fathom is why so many of you can't seem to get it through your head that not all 700p's are flawed. i don't consider mine flawed at all...it is not perfect...but there i nothing out there that is better for me than this phone...save maybe the 755, but it also has a few issues, word has it.

the new BB's look very cool, but palm's os is so awesome, there i no way i could stand a BB.

i am on my phone all day...about 25% of the time on bluetooth. i text message throughout the day and use chatter to check my e-mail constantly.

my first treo had problems so i took it back. that is why you have a 30 day return policy. why anyone would keep a phone that say the hate and not return it before the 30 days is up?
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waterfrontmgmt View Post
    WRONG! your 700p may suck...and i am sure that there are others out there that suck as well.

what i can't fathom is why so many of you can't seem to get it through your head that not all 700p's are flawed. i don't consider mine flawed at all...it is not perfect...but there i nothing out there that is better for me than this phone...save maybe the 755, but it also has a few issues, word has it.

the new BB's look very cool, but palm's os is so awesome, there i no way i could stand a BB.

i am on my phone all day...about 25% of the time on bluetooth. i text message throughout the day and use chatter to check my e-mail constantly.

my first treo had problems so i took it back. that is why you have a 30 day return policy. why anyone would keep a phone that say the hate and not return it before the 30 days is up?

Perhaps because the problems don't start showing up after 30 days. Just look at you as an example with a flawless device. It takes time to find the kinks of a device.

In my case, I had problems almost since day 1. But I was confident that Palm was going to get a patch/fix soon, or so I thought given their previous references with the 600/650. But of course nobody could have foreseen what such a lousy experience has been with Palm fixing the 700p.

And now that it's past more than 30 days, actually a year since I bought the phone, I have to stick with it. And I have invested quite a bit of cash in it to just "ditch" it on eBay, I'd never get anything close to what I have invested in this thing. So I'll wait for th eSprint users to report back on the effectivity of the MR and then make my decision if waiting extra is worthwhile or indeed, even after the MR is applyied the experience doesn't improve.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    I have had mine for over a year and very stable after week one.

Ben
    Just got back from a weekend trip with the 700p.. I left my laptop at home and depended 100% on my treo for email and web/communication. I have never had my phone reset so many times in 3 days, I have never had so many BT problems in the entire time I owned the phone than in the past 3 days, I have never had this much text message freezing.. Again like usual on a phone call either a text or another phone call comes in flip a coin the 700 resets, BT I would have to literally repair ever 1-2 times I wanted to use it. Text messages wow I dont even want to talk about it..

I called up Palm on friday like the supervisor told me.. Again they did nothing. I wish we started small claims cases a long time ago.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    people that feel their 700p isn't flawed just don't know any better. Does a 5 year old know their brain is at 90% of its full adult weight...no, but maybe ignorance is bliss,huh?
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewAz View Post
    Just got back from a weekend trip with the 700p.. I left my laptop at home and depended 100% on my treo for email and web/communication. I have never had my phone reset so many times in 3 days, I have never had so many BT problems in the entire time I owned the phone than in the past 3 days, I have never had this much text message freezing.. Again like usual on a phone call either a text or another phone call comes in flip a coin the 700 resets, BT I would have to literally repair ever 1-2 times I wanted to use it. Text messages wow I dont even want to talk about it..

I called up Palm on friday like the supervisor told me.. Again they did nothing. I wish we started small claims cases a long time ago.

Mine has been very stable overall.....but by the far the worst performance I ever have is on the road. Going back and forth from roaming to Sprint, areas of weak signal....all have a profound effect on the stability of my phone. When I'm in my home area, even buried deep in an office building basement with no windows, my phone is totally stable, with working BT.
    Or people who feel their Treos aren't flawed don't have flawed ones, while others do. It seems so much energy is wasted in attempts to convince people that they must either (a) not be noticing the issues, (b) not be using the phone as much as the true, cool power user, or (c) work for Palm.

Some are simply working better than others.
    Last edited by Bujin; 06/04/2007 at 06:32 AM.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Or people who feel their Treos aren't flawed don't have flawed ones, while others do. It seems so much energy is wasted in attempts to convince people that they must either (a) not be noticing the issues, (b) not be using the phone as much as the true, cool power user, or (c) work for Palm.

Some are simply working better than others.
    I love my VZW 700 too. It ain't perfect, but it can do more than most any other smartphone.

Obviously, there are some hardware problems in the 700P, as evidenced by some that have problems out of the box. Obvioiusly there are some firmware coding problems as evidenced by the bluetooth issues and lag. The MR should address these.

But I still believe that the majority of problems people have, and the reason some have so many more problems than others, is software issues. There is just so much Palm software and potential combinations, that it's impossible to beta test everything. I think there has been some evidence that the VZW Versamail has caused some issues. Also, I think bringing in old software and settings from previous Palm devices causes issues.

Well, hopefully, this MR will really make the 700 great. Yeah it should have come sooner.

I would really suggest, especially for those who are having a lot of issues, that after getting the MR, they start fresh with a clean device and re-load and re-register programs. Yeah, it's a lot more work, but it's like reformating a computer. It generally works better and faster.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    I too had a very unstable device. Constant resets, etc. Deleted Butler (for those who have major issues, are you running Butler? Deleting it made my device much more stable) and other than scheduling a reset every morning and using Reset Doctor to ride herd on dbcache, my device is real stable. Much better than my 650 was.

I use ChatterEmail and Mundu (4 email accounts on Chatter and Mundu background mode) and many other apps working in the background. I have almost 200 applications installed into 'ram'. I use my device constantly. Been a heavy Palm OS user since my first device in 1996, a Pilot 5000. I would probably be considered a poweruser.

I love my 700p. I actually have better battery life than my 650 and 600.

Yes the lag is a problem that needs fixing but I worked around that by moving applications to ram that used to be on the card via PowerRun (which had a delay in launching) - so same experience as on my 600 or 650. Blazer lag is not fun but other lag seems to be a wash.

BT issues do not seem to be an issue for me. I sometimes loose my BT settings but I just restore a couple BT files from my daily backup and it is back working great.

Not everyone seems to have the same experience as I do. Maybe I am lucky.

In the end, I love my device and plan to continue to use Palm OS devices as long as they fill my needs, which the 700p does.
    I too have been all over the map with my 700p. When it works I love the phone... and have stated this. My frustration comes from broken promises by palm.

Being an engineer I fully realize that sometimes problems are hard to fix, but I also realize that taking over 1 year to fix known problems, is also totally unacceptable. What I think Palms problem is that they are/have been attempting to have on all inclusive MR that solves all of the problems with the 700p. Additionally I am sure much more effort has been producing new devices since the release of the 700p (680, 755, Foleo). Is this right?? No, but that is what we are stuck with. Sure palm should have broken the problems up and solved them individually, and provided patches in a more timely manner. But they didn’t and now we are stuck in this endless loop of “the patch is coming”. Until it is delivered, and we get a chance to stress them we will not know if it was worth the wait.

Lets face it, the percentage of treo uses on the and other forums is most likely a minority of the total, so we cannot make blanket statements, or assumptions that “all 700p’s are flawed”, or even “most users are happy”. All we can say for sure it what people on here state, and from what I have read, probably a small majority of users have minor problems that are annoyances, when a much smaller number have major issues.

What I want to know is when Palm was working on fixes, were any of the users with particularly problematic 700p’s contacted?? If not I am curious how they cam up with patches/fixes?

Well lets just all hope that when the MR does come out it will fix most of our problems and not create new ones.
    I'm not a developer so a cannot say I'm speaking from any direct knowledge but the MR is going to be a ROM update correct? If it is then won't it be a kind of road map for people to hack the ROM and remove or add things? That is what happened to the 650 isn't it? I imagine that Palm and it's partners generate enough revenue from the adware on our Palms to make that a factor in determining when to release a ROM update. Is it just coincidence tha the MR is so closely timed with the introduction of a new product? I would guess that the 755p utilizes a ROM map that is distinct from the 700's.
    Palm I >Palm IIIi>Palm 505> Zire 71>PEG37>T|X>TREO 700P That's a lot of palming!!
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    Perhaps because the problems don't start showing up after 30 days. Just look at you as an example with a flawless device. It takes time to find the kinks of a device.
    So true. I had mine for 3 months before it started giving me problems. Up until that point, I loved my phone and was extremely happy with it
    Well, for me the update is a moot point now. On Saturday, I switched from VZW to ATT and got a new Blackberry Curve. BB is having a little publicized tradein program and I am getting $235 for my 700p while the Curve ended up costing $169. So given the need for some new accessories, plus activation, ends up being pretty close to a wash.

I have been a long time Palm user having owned a Palm Pilot, Palm V, Sony Clie, Treo 650, and, for the past year, a Treo 700p, and I take this step with reluctance and some sadness. Palm had the most practically functional and intuitive interface and design for a long time, but with the 700p, it seems that the underlying OS infrastructure is showing its age and is being forced to do more than it can realistically handle.

The last straw for me was two weeks ago in a LA hotel room when my 700p was locking up so badly, I ended up having to use the room phone for some critical business calls. I had dealt with numerous prior annoyances relating to bluetooth and such because I was comfortable with using the device. It was just second nature, but given these problems and the fact that my company is standardizing on RIM (and I was one of the last Palm holdouts), I decided to jump to the Curve, as the most Treo-like Blackberry.

I'm sure the Blackberry will have its share of issues, but it looks like a well designed phone, and from the experiences of my colleagues seems to be rock solid at handling the basics of phone and email.

I hope that Palm does finally release the update and that it lives up to the expectations all those who are frustrated and have waited so long.
    hmmm, well ive had mine 6 months now - Ive never had a delayed SMS, Ive never had my phone reset except once when I installed a program that got stuck in the reset mode - which was a simple fix of deleting temp installed file - Ive never had PTunes be choppy on me, and i use it almost everyday - ive never had my screen turn white and freeze needing a reset - ive never had a problem popping 4 different mail accounts into versamail ... ive been reading these forums since I got my 700p and thought .. man i am going to regret this phone arent I .. and so far .. nothing .. its been perfect, I use it everyday, I use it to run my laptop everyday, have several different programs and games added that I constantly use everyday ....

I guess I am ona those "Lucky Ones" but Ive yet to see a flaw in my 700p - although i dont use bluetooth so maybe that will be my downfall .. lol ..
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    people that feel their 700p isn't flawed just don't know any better. Does a 5 year old know their brain is at 90% of its full adult weight...no, but maybe ignorance is bliss,huh?
    i think you just proved that it is!
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Can you point me in the direction of that BB trade in offer? I am SO there... chucking this 700p and getting a Curve. Can't find it, tried googling...

Thanks...
    I have a Verizon 700P and I really don't have many issues. I've had it since October and use it all day long.
    I have my email checking every 20 minutes (2 different email addresses), I use Mundu messenger, treo memo, I'm constantly on the web, send text messages to my girlfriend, teammates and friends throughout the day, and I even turned in my work pager to have them text me on my Treo when they need me.

I have many games installed, and I use kinoma for playing youtube videos and listening to the radio.

My Treo is also my primary phone because my home phone is forwarded to my Treo.

The BT issues I have are my fault for using a Plantronics Voyager 510 which is on the list of incompatible devices, my Jabra BT 500 had very few issues.

Overall I love my Treo. I have lags from time to time during text messaging, but most of the BT issues stopped when I stopped turning the BT off on the Treo. My other problems all but disappeared when I started resetting my Treo every morning, it only takes 5 minutes to keep my Treo trouble free all day, I don't think that's too much trouble.

At this time, I personally have no need or desire for a new phone, and if the MR was to come out this morning, I wouldn't apply it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast