Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I wish I remembered who did it, because he/she deserves recognition, but, WAYYY back when the 650 first came out there were a bunch of bugs, including low speaker volume, that were supposed to be fixed by a, then long overdue, software update.

One user, who I apologize, I have forgotten, got tired of waiting and wrote a series of updated images for the 650, all including the needed bug fixes and some removing firmware apps (Real Player, Versamail, etc.) that people didn't want on their units. He/she even posted a restore image in case you wanted to switch back or messed up the install.

Anyone know who I'm talking about? Any chance this could happen for the 700p? Barring that, any chance someone could hack the image of the new 755p which is supposed to have all the bug fixes that haven't been released for the 700p, and post it with instructions for how to re-image the 700p?

Thanks for your time!
    Thinking back I believe we were all able to take advantage of the early update because someone had written a ROM tool for the 650. However, to date, and for whatever reason, there are no ROM tools for the 700p so we couldn't install to the ROM even if we had the new files to do it with.
    Wasnt the person you speak of is Shadowmite?
    shadowmite
    Need information on Real Estate, Please contact me!!!
    www.TheMMTeam.com
  5.    #5  
    Yes! That's it! So... any chance of something?
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    His site is still up. He received a "nice" letter from Palm, and quickly removed all the ROM files.

http://shadowmite.com/p-f.html

His site has some forums, and interesting information.
    =====================================================================================
    Palm Pilot, Palm Vx, Kyo 6035, Kyo 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700pos and FINALLY:
    BLACKBERRY 8830, because it just WORKS!!
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    you can apparently just copy the updated files from the 755p to a 700p and fix much of the lag issues:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=215
    The firmware update for the 700p comes out in less than 24 hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    I think you mean that the firmware update for the 700p is expected to come out in less than 24 hours.
    Last edited by Treocracy; 06/03/2007 at 09:28 PM.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post

You think they'll post the update at midnight? That's it. I'm stayin up now!!
    IT'S NOT A DAMN BLACKBERRY!....
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treocracy View Post
    I think you mean that the firmware update for the 700p is expected to come out in less than 24 hours.

I for one am NOT expecting it to come out in the next 24 hours-
    JEEEEEEEESSSSS!!
    It is a good thing you guys are not programers..........
    It has been announced (after more than a year and many delays) that the MR for only Sprint users might be released sometime Monday (assumed to be tomorrow). The fate of the other 700p users MR, is again unknown, and may ar may not be announced in the future.
    Curt

StarTAC ST7868W w/ Motorola StarTAC Clipon Organizer; Treo 600; Treo 700P; Palm Pre Plus all on Verizon
    The reason a ROM tool hasnt been developed for the 700 is because we/they need a boot loader. From my understanding that is.

They used the bootloader from that first 650 update to create the custom ROMs. Because they havent released a ROM update yet (hopefully tomorrow) so without the ROM update we have no bootloader and without the bootloader we have no custom ROM.

Its my understanding that each bootloader is specific to each model.

Someone correct me if Im wrong.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    ^ With my luck, they'll release a windows-only updater so us mac guys will be out of luck :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    you can apparently just copy the updated files from the 755p to a 700p and fix much of the lag issues:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=215
    Apparently, the exact method of this is being kept a secret. This is unfortunate since Vz users are unlikely to see an update soon.
    Palm V --> Clie 610 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 ("verizonfied") --> Treo 650 ("verizonfied") --> Vz Treo 700p -->AT&T Tilt
    Quote Originally Posted by djraw View Post
    You think they'll post the update at midnight? That's it. I'm stayin up now!!
    Nope. Not really likely.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spiVeyx View Post
    ^ With my luck, they'll release a windows-only updater so us mac guys will be out of luck :-(
    SD card install
    Mr. Kirker
    I would have tout that being a developer, you would be given the mr in advance
    or some beta. I think it would be smart to allow you to fine tune your product for release. But now it seems that Palm is very scared that Other company will outsmart them and restrict and treat you as end user.
    Give us your opinion.
    If you were PALM, how would you have proceeded to address the 700p issue when it first started about a year ago?
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosjcar View Post
    Mr. Kirker
    I would have tout that being a developer, you would be given the mr in advance
    or some beta. I think it would be smart to allow you to fine tune your product for release. But now it seems that Palm is very scared that Other company will outsmart them and restrict and treat you as end user.
    Give us your opinion.
    Nope. The closest I can get to prerelease is through Palm's "Designed for Palm Products Program" (https://pdn.palm.com/regac/pdn/page?...DUCTS_PROGRAM). I believe it costs in the range of $400 to $750 to test a program's compatibility (I checked again a few weeks ago, so i don't quite remember the number). If the test fails, you have to pay more to retest. Palm claims no profit in the testing.

This is somewhat acceptable. Lower prices would be nicer, but, hey, it's business.

Also, many companies are secretive with unreleased products and updates.

If you were PALM, how would you have proceeded to address the 700p issue when it first started about a year ago?
    First, I would have made sure that my product didn't ship with glaring critical flaws (see my note below). Second, any flows that were found I would have immediately began testing and fixing. I strive for perfection (perfection for humans I believe is impossible, but it is possible to get very close). I also strive for quality and customer satisfaction.

If I were Palm I would have notified the public much sooner. It seems that many of Palm's "updates" can be lacking. I acknowledge that development can be very slow at times (many many bugs, and the number increases as a software's code base increases) and Palm may not have all of the resources to hit everything at once, but this is where good public relations comes in. Keeping the community up to date with as many details as possible (companies cannot reveal certain details for various business/legal reasons) is important. It shows that you care and have not forgotten about the people that matter the most, the customers (without them, a business does not exist). When I say customers, I am not just referring to the first level (the carriers in the case of the Treo), but all levels right down to you and I. Public relations can make or break a product as well as quality.

The "below note":
    I am extremely anal about quality. In being so I determined that Universe (the beta that I had posted on my site) was not apt to being released in any way. As a commitment to quality and perfection I have scrapped the old project and I have restarted (ok, I can hear some groans). This was in realization of the horrible bugs that were pointed out and also the mistakes that Palm was making with their products. So far I am about a quarter done with the new code base and I am constantly checking it for issues so that I can do what Palm does not; that is to guarantee a stable product and fast response to flaws. So far it is pretty stable.

All-in-all, I would have responded quickly and swiftly and roared loudly so that everybody knew my actions and intentions.
    1. Acknowledge the issue(s) internally and publicly.
    2. Create an attack plan. Provide some details publicly (at least acknowledging a generally plan).
    3. Attack! (ok, it is 2am, my choice of words is limiting :P )
    4. Keep the community updated
    5. Release

Anyway, it is getting late (or early?). Time to hit the sack. Hopefully there will be some progress in the morning. I'd say we may see something around noon.
    Last edited by dkirker; 06/04/2007 at 04:27 AM. Reason: bad 2am spelling/grammer :)
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    I for one am NOT expecting it to come out in the next 24 hours-
    Bad call. hehe
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast