Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone successfully overclocked the Treo 680? Which software. PXAClocker can overclock up to 448 Mhz but switching the Palm off with Phone on will need a battery reset to bring it back
    That's a great idea. I'll bet we could get battery life down to just a few seconds if we bump it up just a bit more than that.
    I never noticed any obvious reduction in battery on my 650, but it made it much more snappy. I wish PXAClocker supported the 680.
  4.    #4  
    Battery life impact has oftened been over exaggerated when overclocking. I overclocked my LD and didn't notice any faster draining of the batteries but dfinitely noticed the speed difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kensong View Post
    Has anyone successfully overclocked the Treo 680? Which software. PXAClocker can overclock up to 448 Mhz but switching the Palm off with Phone on will need a battery reset to bring it back
    Same thing happened to me.
    I send emails to developer of PXA, Warpspeed and Lightspeed to ask if they're going to support 680, but none of them reply.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    What's the use of a faster Treo? Are there programs what need a higher clockspeed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozz View Post
    What's the use of a faster Treo? Are there programs what need a higher clockspeed?
    Sure...LJP!
    Quote Originally Posted by scythe000 View Post
    Sure...LJP!
    Ahem.. LJP takes over 100%, which includes overclockers from what I understand.

And no, you don't need overclocking for LJP anyway, at least not that I've seen, but I've only played SNES and GB games.

As for the original question, overclockers just make things snappier. Switching between views, launching programs, sorting lists, just overall usage is snappier feeling.
    I've been happily using PXA clocker on my 680 since I first got it. Who says it doesn't work on the 680?
    Quote Originally Posted by freakout View Post
    I've been happily using PXA clocker on my 680 since I first got it. Who says it doesn't work on the 680?
    When overclocked or just enabled, do you still get green lines on the screen with camera after a power off and on cycle?
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Ahem.. LJP takes over 100%, which includes overclockers from what I understand.

And no, you don't need overclocking for LJP anyway, at least not that I've seen, but I've only played SNES and GB games.

As for the original question, overclockers just make things snappier. Switching between views, launching programs, sorting lists, just overall usage is snappier feeling.
    Wow, someone's not wearing their thinking cap .

Sure LJP will take 100% even with overclockers (by definition, you can't go over 100%). Clearly, then, LJP is requiring more processing power!

You've playes SNES games? Well, apparently you haven't played SMRPG, which gets around 25 FPS.

As for the original question, Overclocked CPU means (hopefully) higher framerates in games that need them. Of course, there is no point if the game or application already runs at its full speed.
    When overclocked or just enabled, do you still get green lines on the screen with camera after a power off and on cycle?
    I overclock the 680 to 416mhz when using Audio Gateway. Occasionally it'll freak out the screen, which will go purplish with a line across it, but I've never noticed any problems related to the camera.
    Freakout, What default frequency did you set your 680 ?
    I never been able to get it to work. If PXA is on, switching the Palm off with Phone on will need a battery reset to bring it back.
    Last edited by idian; 06/05/2007 at 01:02 AM.
    I set the system setting at 416mhz. Runs fine with no issues when I power on and off. I use it to help the Treo cope with Softick Audio Gateway's new uber-quality settings.
    Tim Carroll, Blogger
    I set the system setting at 416mhz. Runs fine with no issues when I power on and off. I use it to help the Treo cope with Softick Audio Gateway's new uber-quality settings.
    Lucky you my friend, I can't even do it at the default 312mhz, as soon as i switch PXA on, switching the Palm off with Phone on will need a battery reset to bring it back.
    I set the system setting at 416mhz. ... I use it to help the Treo cope with Softick Audio Gateway's new uber-quality settings.

I don't overclock, but my problem with SAG is simply the various freezes that occur when going from the phone to the headset--do either of you have any advice on how to eliminate or minimize those kinds of problems?
    I've gotten a reply from the developer of PXA Clocker.

The fix for the 680 is on the list of future improvements.
    Unfortunately, I cannot produce the fix quickly as I don't have the
    device to test the application. There are 2 beta testers helping me to
    resolve this issue.

Thanks!
    I've also replied with the link to this thread, hopefully we can help him get the Treo 680 supported asap.
    Quote Originally Posted by scythe000 View Post
    Wow, someone's not wearing their thinking cap .

Sure LJP will take 100% even with overclockers (by definition, you can't go over 100%). Clearly, then, LJP is requiring more processing power!

You've playes SNES games? Well, apparently you haven't played SMRPG, which gets around 25 FPS.

As for the original question, Overclocked CPU means (hopefully) higher framerates in games that need them. Of course, there is no point if the game or application already runs at its full speed.
    No, but thank for the smartass reply. As I originally said, LJP takes over 100% of the Treo. Not uses 100% of the CPU. Look around; LJP does not take advantage of overclocking applications. Meh.
    Odd, everyone else can't turn the Treo off and get it to turn back on very easily. You don't have to soft reset, but I've found it takes 10-15 button presses to get it to turn on.

Strange yours works.. Version 5.1?
    ^^ Yup, version 5.1 Lite. No power problems. The only (occasional) glitch appears when I exit PXA Clocker after first turning it on: sometimes the screen will go a purply colour with a blue line across it. In those cases I need to do a battery reset. But they're infrequent.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast