Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by freakout View Post
    ^^ Yup, version 5.1 Lite. No power problems. The only (occasional) glitch appears when I exit PXA Clocker after first turning it on: sometimes the screen will go a purply colour with a blue line across it. In those cases I need to do a battery reset. But they're infrequent.
    Ah, Lite.. I wonder if there's a difference. I own it, so I don't use lite. But AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $only$ $difference$ $is$ $Lite$ $won$'$t$ $do$ $anything$ $to$ $programs$ $that$ $aren$'$t$ $in$ $ram$ $and$ $it$ $doesn$'$t$ $enable$ $itself$ $at$ $reset$.

Interesting.. I might try it for kicks. I'd really like it to work, the 680 needs a little perk.
    I just installed version 5.1 of PXAClocker Lite on my unlocked 680 and it does seem to work. I haven't run it long enough to see how it affects battery life (I assume it does cut it down somewhat, but hopefully not too much), but the treo wakes up fine, calls come through, and everything seems to be working normally so far. That said, I am not sure that the speed improvement is really noteworthy. Even clocked at 416 MHz, the 680 is still noticably more sluggish than my old 650 running with no pxaclocker.

A couple of weeks ago, I saw a posting on the chatter email forum where Marc was saying that he thought that the memory used in 680 is slower than the one that Palm used in 650, and that's where the lag was coming from. This little experiment with pxaclocker seems to support that view. If cranking up the cpu 33% doesn't do much, the bottleneck is somewhere else. Memory might be the culprit.

Anyway, I'll keep the clocker for a little while and see how much it hits my battery life, but so far the results are a bit underwhelming. Too bad I dropped my 650 so many times that it's all messed up by now.
    I've been happily using PXA clocker on my 680 since I first got it. Who says it doesn't work on the 680?
    Okay, you're right, no lockups on power on. However, it doesn't seem to do ANYTHING. When I run Speedy, the first time it reports a slightly higher clock speed (I have it set to 468 I think.. It might report 320 at most..) then after that, back to 280 or so like it always is.

One of my old benchmarks with PXAClocker was using EarthComber to switch from a .25 mile radius to 45 mile radius. EarthComber is a free street map program, but doesn't have multiple levels of detail so it takes a long time to draw a large area map. Takes exactly 38s with PXAClocker on or off.

I think PXAClocker isn't doing anything on the 680. Or if it anything, it's not doing it all the time. However, I did try EarthComber 3 times, all three times the results were exactly the same.
    Khaytsus, please keep me updated if you notice your 680 is snappier with everyday use as you test PXA Clocker Lite some more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loden View Post
    Khaytsus, please keep me updated if you notice your 680 is snappier with everyday use as you test PXA Clocker Lite some more.
    erm, didn't I just say it doesn't appear to do anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    erm, didn't I just say it doesn't appear to do anything?
    Well, while you didn't see a difference with EarthComber, I was hoping there were some improvements in other areas. I also figured you'd still be testing it. I'm no programmer, but seeing how certain programs use HEDE and HVCH and such in PalmInternals, I imagine some apps might or might not be affected by it. I was hoping it would eliminate the white screen lag, as well as other slowness we get from everyday usage, like when your typing and it briefly pauses and the text catches up. Freakout claims that he's been happy with it and that he's able to use uber quality settings in Audio Gateway, so I thought I'd inquire about it some more as you test it out.
    Last edited by Loden; 06/06/2007 at 05:42 PM.
    When I use it [PXAclocker], I don't notice any huge improvements in overall device "snappiness". I think that pedja is right on the money:

A couple of weeks ago, I saw a posting on the chatter email forum where Marc was saying that he thought that the memory used in 680 is slower than the one that Palm used in 650, and that's where the lag was coming from. This little experiment with pxaclocker seems to support that view. If cranking up the cpu 33% doesn't do much, the bottleneck is somewhere else. Memory might be the culprit.
    So for things like switching and loading apps, I don't think PXAclocker makes a lot of difference. BUT, when used as a crutch for CPU-intensive apps, like Audio Gateway or LJP, it makes a huge difference.
    When I use it [PXAclocker], I don't notice any huge improvements in overall device "snappiness". I think that pedja is right on the money:

So for things like switching and loading apps, I don't think PXAclocker makes a lot of difference. BUT, when used as a crutch for CPU-intensive apps, like Audio Gateway or LJP, it makes a huge difference.
    No, it does not. See my earlier post about EarthComber timings being exactly the same. It's a lot of CPU crunching going on there, and there's zero change between PXAClocker on at 468 and off.
    Dude, I have better things to do than make this stuff up. :P

When using Audio Gateway, the Treo slows down to an absolute crawl. If I turn on PXA clocker, the difference is clear and immediate. Playlists scroll faster, it switches tracks faster. So I'm not sure why it doesn't work with Earthcomber, but it most definitely does work with other apps.
    I downloaded the 5.1 lite version to test. I got lockup upon power off, got to softreset my treo to wake it up.

I do not notice a huge improvement with PXA clocker on at all.. Used to used it on my Treo650 when using audiogateway. With the Treo680, I notice only slight improvement, nothing tremendous..

Waiting for an updated version to work well with Treo680.
    Maybe my 680 is blessed - I do not experience these power on/off lockup problems others seem to have. As stated earlier, the Treo will sometimes crash after the activation of PXAclocker, but it's rare.

Good luck folks...
    Dude, I have better things to do than make this stuff up. :P

When using Audio Gateway, the Treo slows down to an absolute crawl. If I turn on PXA clocker, the difference is clear and immediate. Playlists scroll faster, it switches tracks faster. So I'm not sure why it doesn't work with Earthcomber, but it most definitely does work with other apps.
    Not a problem with EarthComber by any means... The 650 would draw the 45 mile map in about 2/3rds the time with PXAClocker on. I just don't see that it's doing anything on the 680 for me.
    Aha, I know why you don't see the problem where the Treo won't power back on now.... You use Lite.

I had set PXAClocker to start on reset, and had let my Treo run down completely last night. So this morning I went to turn it on and it wouldn't come on. Removed battery, still wouldn't come on after booting. Warm reset, disabled PXAClocker, and it's fine now.

So that explains it.
  14.    #34  
    I find CorePlayer plays smoother with PXAClocker set to 468Mhz. And much less dropped frames. But like everyone else save, I need to do a battery reset after that.
    Yeah, I'm not having much luck with PXA Clocker 5.1 Lite either. It'll work at all speeds except 624MHz on my Treo 680 but will always end up requiring a battery-removal reset later.

Too bad--the Treo is much more responsive when overclocked.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12