1.    #1  
    I followed the TC article for a VNC setup and downloaded RealVNC for my PC and PalmVNC 2.0.5 for my 700p.

I set up everything according to the article, but when I try to connect, I get the following:

Opening the network...skipped
    Connecting to [IP Addr]:5900...
    ConnectToTcpAddr: cannot connect
    Unable to connect to "[IP Addr]":5900
    ERROR: cannot connect to [IP Addr]:5900

where [IP Addr] is my actual IP address.

Port forwarding is turned on for ports 5800-5900 on my Linksys WRT54G. I even tried putting my PC in the DMZ for a few seconds and I got the same result.

What am I doing wrong? I'm running WinXP on my PC BTW.

When I run the connection test from RealVNC's page, I get my IP address and then it too is unable to connect to port 5900...
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I have a silly question, are you trying to connect to your home network's public IP address, or the private IP address assigned to your PC by your router?

I have virtually the same setup as you on my 755p (used to with my 650) and haven't had any problems.
    make sure you disable windows firewall
    HTC Touch Pro
  4.    #4  
    Windows firewall disabled, trying to connect to the public IP address, not the 192.168.1.... No connection.
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    -Try running the VNC server when logged in on the Administrator account on the XP machine.

-make certain VNC server is running- I believe you can move your mouse over the vnc icon in the system tray and your (local) ip address is displayed.

-make certain your firewall is off

-bring another computer into your network and run the vncviewer on it to see if you can access the vnc server

-double check all the settings for the vnc server software.

Just some thoughts. Good luck!
    Any luck?
    Try opening 5901 as well... and make sure both the TCP and UDP ports are open on 5900 and 5901...
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for all the ideas, guys. But still no luck... The VNC Server is active, but it shows the 192.168... Address whem I hover over it, not my IP address. Is that the way it's supposed to be? I really wish I could get this to work...
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Thanks for all the ideas, guys. But still no luck... The VNC Server is active, but it shows the 192.168... Address whem I hover over it, not my IP address. Is that the way it's supposed to be? I really wish I could get this to work...
    I can't get it to show the IP the server sees while I'm logging in from my Treo, but I can check when I get home tonight. Can you post a screenshot of your server config so we can see if all the settings look right?
    VNC shows the private IP for me too when I hover the cursor over the server tray icon, so that's not indicative of your problem.