Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Every since I had my 755p, it would lag (display blank white screen) for 10-35 seconds before starting or exiting Blazer.

Additionally, the 755p would crash (reboot or reset) while web pages were loading or once the page was fully displayed.

I tried for the longest to resolve this by changing Blazer cache sizes; clearing upon exit and even removing any saved or unsaved preferences that dealt with Blazer. All of this was done without success.

Finally I used Resco Explorer, which displays the "Built-in drive" where pictures saved to RAM are stored and other files are stored, to remove the Blazer directory.

I deleted the folder and then launched Blazer again. The directory recreated itself and the problem has not resurfaced since.

That directory obviously was corrupted. I should have renamed it as bad so that disk space would remain occupied.

Now my Treo 755p is running like a charm.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    May I ask what the title of this folder was that you deleted? Just wondering....
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
  3.    #3  
    Blazer
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    Carl I'm glad you figured out what was causing your resets Thanks for posting these instructions in case anyone else experiences this. I'm loving my Blue 755p
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by godschoice View Post
    Blazer
    Did this cause you to lose your bookmarked pages? I experienced the lag and reset once today earlier this morning. Not a problem since. But,just in case it happens again, it's nice to have an idea of a solution.
    I hardly have that issue with the lag, but I've never had my Treo reset cause of Blazer. Maybe once but that's it.
    Please be more specific about the steps you took. In Resco there is BuiltIn(A)>Blazer. Within this there are 100's of dcf files and one named cache.fat

Are you saying to delete the Blazer folder? of the dcf files or cache.fat???
  8.    #8  
    Yes I deleted the directory which included the files too. It created a new empty directory called Blazer the next time I started Blazer.

Hey Jimmy, I have the blue one too.

Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
  9.    #9  
    This does not delete the bookmarks or anything like that.

Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    I hadn't seen lockups due to Blazer, but it was taking a long time to load. I went to Blazer's Preferences -> Advanced page, and clicked on "Clear Cache" and now Blazer loads very quickly. I noticed that clearing the cache effectively erased all files in the "Blazer" folder as seen in Resco Explorer.

I believe the delay in loading Blazer isn't so much a bug as it is just the time it takes to parse or load the cache when Blazer loads. I expect the long delay times will return again as my cache fills up.

You can probably click on "Clear cache on exit" to make sure that it is always speedy, but I am speculating now as I haven't played with this very much.
    I have had clear cache on exit checked since I started using Blazer. I have not noticed that it makes it load or close any faster sorry to say. It seems to come up quickly sometimes, and very slow others. Same with closing it. Just figure it is what it is.
    After a day of using Blazer (since I cleared my cache manually), I go to load it up today, and there is a 10 second delay again. I hate to say this, but I think this is just the way it is. My 755 came with the cache set to 4 MB, which is the largest cache I've ever used with Blazer. With the NV memory system on these phones, every time you load Blazer, if i understand correctly, the entire cache is copied out of NV memory into RAM to make it usable (for fast read/writes since writing to the NV mem is very slow). I think this is part of the issue.

You can see this if you load Blazer, then switch to a different app that doesn't use much memory, then switch back to Blazer. It loads immediately. This is because it doesn't have to re-copy the cache into RAM. It's already there. As for the delay when exiting Blazer, that is probably because any changes you make to the cache has to be written back to NV memory, which potentially takes even longer. I would have thought the "Clear cache" setting would speed fixed this because it doesn't keep the cache, but I guess not.

Again, I'm speculating. People that know the NV memory phones better (the 650 on up) can probably comment more intelligently than I. My point is this may just be the nature of the beast because of the non-volatile memory and any program that uses that much data from NV mem will be slow like this.
    What you are saying makes a lot of sense mlohmyer. The only program that really does lag for me is Blazer. Bejeweled 2 did also lag and I deleted it. That program is really graphics heavy. I have tried to wrap my head around dbcache, but it ends up confusing me.

I do keep an eye on it with Resco Explorer and if it gets too low I flush it. Resco Backup knocks out the db cache sometimes to Kb so I always have to flush after using it. I am sure something cache related is behind the lag, but not sure what. I know just enough to be dangerous.
    Quote Originally Posted by godschoice View Post
    Yes I deleted the directory which included the files too. It created a new empty directory called Blazer the next time I started Blazer.
    Okay, What aren't I understanding? You just say you deleted the Blazer file under RAM. I see seven Blazer files. Can you please type step by step instructions on how you did this. I too have the white screen every now and then when going to the internet. Thanks.

Also, I just downloaded the trial for this Explorer. It looks like FileZ to me. Is it worth paying $19.99 to keep?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    This confused me at first too as FileZ and the ZLauncher file manager didn't show me a "Blazer" folder. Get the demo of Resco Explorer and you'll see what godschoice was talking about. Filez or other common file browsers don't show the "Blazer" folder. This is a feature of Resco Explorer. It shows up under the "BuiltIn (A" folder. I assume these files are actually part of a single file, but I don't know what that file is. Also, this is all new to me, so I don't even understand what this BuiltIn folder is. All I understand is it is like a psuedo flash card (a FAT file system) stored in internal memory. The Resco Explorer documentation explains this a little.

What you will see in the "Blazer" folder are a bunch of files that are the browser cache. On my 755, when I cleared the browser cache in Blazer, I saw that the "Blazer" folder in Resco Explorer was emptied.
    Okay, I deleted it, and it did come back when I opened blazer again. Now I'll have to see if I get the white screen again. That didn't really bother me but if this helps that will be great. Thanks.

UPDATE: Just hit the search button while I was on the On Demand Movie section and got the white screen for about 10 seconds before the blazer screen came up. No bother, but that didn't seem to fix it.
    Last edited by RickMG; 06/04/2007 at 09:16 PM.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Yea it didn't seem to make a difference for me either Rick. I just figure I have to patiently wait for Blazer and that is just what its performance is.
    It's not inherent to Blazer's performance. Blazer launches speedily for most users in this forum (I've read thru a bunch of threads), and launched speedily for me to, until just a short time ago, when it seemed to take a sec or two longer each launch to fully launch (lag has leveled off at 15 secs). And nothing suggested here or elsewhere fixes it for me.
    I occasionally get the lag as mentioned with Blazer. I have forced a reset and then gone back to Blazer without the lag.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Another tool I use on my 755P is OffFlush2.0... it works great!! i have it set to flush DBCache on Power OFF and it keeps my 755P clean and speedy!!MAKE SURE YOU HAVE FAST MODE CHECKED>>
    I have also deleted BLAZER folder located in BUILT IN section via Resco Explorer about every other day... and it keeps BLAZER running smoothly... probably an over kill... but ohh well thats just me...

FRIDAYY
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by fridayy; 06/05/2007 at 06:48 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast