1.    #1  
    Hey all,

I recently purchased a Treo 755p and I signed up for Sprint's $39.99/mo unlimited data with phone as modem plan. I know these questions may sound rather stupid, but...

- Is it ACTUALLY unlimited when using it through another device such as a laptop, or is there some type of quiet "cap" on how much you can use?

- Their site mentions this is a promo offer, does that mean I will have it for the duration of my contract, or will it go away when the promo is over?

For some reason, unlimited data WITH tethering on a high-speed network for only $39.99/mo seems almost hard to beleive.
    Quote Originally Posted by VT-Vincent View Post
    Hey all,

I recently purchased a Treo 755p and I signed up for Sprint's $39.99/mo unlimited data with phone as modem plan. I know these questions may sound rather stupid, but...

- Is it ACTUALLY unlimited when using it through another device such as a laptop, or is there some type of quiet "cap" on how much you can use?

- Their site mentions this is a promo offer, does that mean I will have it for the duration of my contract, or will it go away when the promo is over?

For some reason, unlimited data WITH tethering on a high-speed network for only $39.99/mo seems almost hard to beleive.
    Its actually unlimited. I had the same question and called sprint to ask several times hehe. Its not really that hard to believe since 39.99 is about the amount you would pay for your local cable modem (broadband) service...

I'm not sure what the promo offer is...but I did get it free for a month when I first got my 700p...make sure you manually cancel before the month is over, otherwise u'll be charged...

Enjoy,

-t
    Treo 700p -->> 755p
  3.    #3  
    Hmm... if I don't cancel would it stay at $39.99? I would like to keep this service permanently. For me, having unlimited data on BOTH my laptop and my PDA is a dream come true.
    The PAM add-on is $39.99 as the regular price, it's not going to go up.
    Okay, unless I'm missing something obvious I don't understand why anyone would use the phone as a modem option when you can use a 3rd party program like PdaNet (http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/index.php) for a one time fee of $34? I use it all the time and it works great. Now days a lot of places you'd go have wireless anyway and if I had to use the phone as modem enough to pay $39 per month I think I'd get the laptop card for $49 a month and be able to use my phone and also be able to surf the net on my laptop.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    Okay, unless I'm missing something obvious I don't understand why anyone would use the phone as a modem option when you can use a 3rd party program like PdaNet (http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/index.php) for a one time fee of $34? I use it all the time and it works great. Now days a lot of places you'd go have wireless anyway and if I had to use the phone as modem enough to pay $39 per month I think I'd get the laptop card for $49 a month and be able to use my phone and also be able to surf the net on my laptop.
    Technically using PDANet or USBModem is violating Sprint's policy and is being dishonest. Some people don't want to take the chance of getting caught, and that's fine if that's what they want to do. But I agree about spending $40 to have to tether your phone vs $50 and having a separate card. If I had to have a wireless connection and was willing to pay for it, I think I'd spring for the card.
  7.    #7  
    Well, I look at it this way. With the standard Vision Pack, you are already paying $15/mo. If you choose to upgrade to PAM, you will only pay an additional $25. Now, if you decide to go with an aircard, you will still need the Vision Pack on your phone at $15/mo, AND on top of that, you'll be paying an additional $50/mo.

Personally, I would rather have PAM than an aircard, it's much cheaper (excluding violating your TOS), and I have the internet wherever I go, on my PDA, and on my notebook wirelessly via Bluetooth 2.0. Previously, my only qualm with this idea was the fact that back then Bluetooth 1.1 was prevalent, and it was much slower than the internet connection. Now, I enjoy a full 450kbps download speed wirelessly with no card or dongle hanging out of my laptop.

*edit*

Also, I receive a 20% discount on my plan with the company I work for, so PAM is only $31.99
    Quote Originally Posted by VT-Vincent View Post
    Well, I look at it this way. With the standard Vision Pack, you are already paying $15/mo. If you choose to upgrade to PAM, you will only pay an additional $25. Now, if you decide to go with an aircard, you will still need the Vision Pack on your phone at $15/mo, AND on top of that, you'll be paying an additional $50/mo.

Personally, I would rather have PAM than an aircard, it's much cheaper (excluding violating your TOS), and I have the internet wherever I go, on my PDA, and on my notebook wirelessly via Bluetooth 2.0. Previously, my only qualm with this idea was the fact that back then Bluetooth 1.1 was prevalent, and it was much slower than the internet connection. Now, I enjoy a full 450kbps download speed wirelessly with no card or dongle hanging out of my laptop.

*edit*

Also, I receive a 20% discount on my plan with the company I work for, so PAM is only $31.99
    On the plan book I'm looking at it says "$39.99 with a Sprint Vision plan and a two year agreement on the same line." I take that to mean that the $15 Vision plan is extra, otherwise I would agree with you.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  9.    #9  
    Hmm... I don't beleive you need to purchase a Sprint Vision Plan first, if you look at the Sprint website, you cannot select a Vision plan AND PAM, it only allows one choice, implying the PAM plan is an upgrade from Vision.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    On the plan book I'm looking at it says "$39.99 with a Sprint Vision plan and a two year agreement on the same line." I take that to mean that the $15 Vision plan is extra, otherwise I would agree with you.
    Its just the PAM plan only, I've had it with the 700p since it came out last year. Its 39.99, I didn't have to sign up for a 2 yr contract either.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigchris View Post
    Its just the PAM plan only, I've had it with the 700p since it came out last year. Its 39.99, I didn't have to sign up for a 2 yr contract either.
    That helps bring down the price, but that's still $25 a month more than the basic Power Vision pack. Besides, I have a SERO plan that has free Power Vision so if I got PAM, I truly would be paying $40 extra to tether, which can be done for free with the right software. Perhaps if I significant amount of tethering and transfer a substantial amount of data, I'd get PAM or a data card, but it's just not worth it for me.
    It's a shame it's an "all or nothing" proposition on this technology. I don't travel anywhere near enough to justify paying $40/month for picking up email and remote desktop and light surfing while at conferences or vacationing. But I also would like the ability to use it infrequently as necessary, especially when at a location that either "locks down" wifi or charges a ridiculous "per hour" price. The per KB prices are nuts, too - just one page on some of these forums has metered out as over 1MB on the Treo - there has to be some "middle ground."

With the Fooleo releasing soon, perhaps Palm has some sort of "arrangement" with the Carriers to change their "phone as modem" plans - technically if you are connecting the Fooleo via Treo you are using "Phone as Modem." After paying the $500-600 nut for the Fooleo, it's gonna be hell to pay when people realize they need to pay yet ANOTHER $25-40/month just to view their email on a bigger screen.

Step up to the plate, early adopters!
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    I agree with you guys totally, the only reason why I don't use any other method is because It would be my luck to have them say something or do something to my account because of it. Hell, I rarely use it, but when I want to or need to, I want to be able to use it with out any problems or fear of getting in trouble as well. But, I do have them giving me 25% off of my entire bill plus some other things too....
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre