Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    OK, I know, the lawyers get most of the money in a Class Action lawsuit. At this point, wouldn't you rather put the money in a lawyers pocket than leave the money you paid for the 700pos with Palm?

I know, if all I got was a $5.00 credit with Verizon, and know that Palm paid the lawyers $5,000,000 in attorney fees - I'd be VERY HAPPY.

I mean REALLY, have you seen the way the 700pos is advertised on the Palm web site? It's a LIE. They are lying to all consumers, and as a result they are STILL selling a defective product.

So....would you sign up? I know I would.

(I'm hoping a Big Class Action lawfirm finds this thread, and gets to work....oh yea, and I'm SURE some Palm employees will start a flame war below. And, other anti-lawyer bashers will flame too....so, I say to all those who say "YES" - don't take the bait the flamers set. The best thing to do about a troll is to ignore them, so they go away.)
    You are happy to get $5 and give the lawyers $5,000,000 in legal fees?

I would rather fight with my wallet. It's more efficient that way. Lawyers will pick this up no matter what you do. I don't see what benefit does it give me to get $5 back but obviously you do.
    You're not the first one to mention this, and not the last.

You will not sue Palm. Everyone says they will, but I don't see anything happening.
    ----

Sprint Treo 700p
    Suing Palm is a bad idea. Why waste the time? It's just a phone. Lawsuits are expensive, stressful, and time consuming. It's not worth it.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    The OP said just wants the Class Action suit started and will sign up for it.

He does not need to file the suit when any lawyer start filing the suit, once the scope of case is defined, everyone who has purchased Treo phones within the time period defined in the suit is an active member of the case vs Palm unless you decide to file paper requesting that your name be removed from the class action suit.
    agreed. In continuation of the other thread, a suit is pointless. You MAY see $50 tops in 2 years from now. remember class action suits take months to years to settle. After i left verizon i got a letter for the v710 settlement. They refunded my ETF. Now $200 is nice, but 2 years later? that was like a day worth of work. Instead of whining and complaining about it i let it go and moved on with life, used that complaining time to make money and bought a new phone.

Big deal they got the other $650 off of you already. SO you win a few bucks, is that REALLY a victory? As stated above best thing you can do is talk with your wallet and never buy Palm products again if youre dissatisfied.
    It is far more effective to vote with your wallet when you buy the next phone.
    as tastypeppers stated above, 100% correct.

Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    The OP said just wants the Class Action suit started and will sign up for it.

He does not need to file the suit when any lawyer start filing the suit, once the scope of case is defined, everyone who has purchased Treo phones within the time period defined in the suit is an active member of the case vs Palm unless you decide to file paper requesting that your name be removed from the class action suit.
    you are totally correct. everyone who bought one would be involved but as the OP stated they would need people to come forward to be part of the immediate class they use to prove damages.

As i said in the other thread from my legal experience this would be a pointless, bad idea. People want to be armchair lawyers and post in here they know best lets stick it to plam because i hate them. Are you going to feel like bigger people for spending $650 and getting <$50 in return in maybe 2009? i dont see that as a satisfying end. Instead of moaning and complaining, go to work and get paid instead and buy a new phone if youre that dissatisfied- not a palm. this is talking with your wallet and will be the only course of real impact on Palm.

trust me im a 2nd year law student in mergers and acquisitions and my legal education isnt costing $90,000 for nothing. I do know more than a little something everyone thinks they do about law in here.
    Last edited by klurfdawg23; 06/02/2007 at 12:13 AM.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klurfdawg23 View Post
    trust me im a 2nd year law student in mergers and acquisitions and my legal education isnt costing $90,000 for nothing. I do know more than a little something everyone thinks they do about law in here.
    And I was a lawyer for 20 years, and successfully "convinced" BMW to give away hundreds of $1,000 dash replacements to BMW owners with cars out out warranty. I did it for free. I did it for fun. I did it because it was the right thing to do. I did it because I could.

I'm no longer a lawyer, but there are plenty out there to run with this. If you sell a defective product, and advertise it does what it clearly will not do - they you might have a legal problem. Anyway, my question was, "would you participate". Sounds like you wouldn't - and that's ok.

I'm just curious.
    Then I still don't see the benefit of the Class Action suit if only the lawyers really reap the rewards.

I was a member of another class action suit against a major software company and received $25 in discount against new software which cost $200+ to buy. Did it change how the company operates anyway? No. Instead, it is now a very powerful company encroaching in every possible aspect of my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by JCFox View Post
    And I was a lawyer for 20 years, and successfully "convinced" BMW to give away hundreds of $1,000 dash replacements to BMW owners with cars out out warranty. I did it for free. I did it for fun. I did it because it was the right thing to do. I did it because I could.

I'm no longer a lawyer, but there are plenty out there to run with this. If you sell a defective product, and advertise it does what it clearly will not do - they you might have a legal problem. Anyway, my question was, "would you participate". Sounds like you wouldn't - and that's ok.

I'm just curious.
    You still can and you probably have the right contacts to start the ball rolling. I see your point where you are able to get BMW to replace the dash replacement.

I still don't understand where suing Palm will benefit a user like myself. I don't want to end up with another $25 discount coupon.
    Quote Originally Posted by JCFox View Post

I'm just curious.
    i agree that there are plenty of lawyers who would take the case. I guess i just dont see the merits here to substantiate a valid claim. For false advertising, yes. For a defective product, its a lot harder. You have software and hardware and a combination of components. Ive been saying i think this is a false advertising claim if anything.

Main Point: Palm is already admitting the issues and releasing an update on monday for it. I dont see how a suit would further the cause any more. Even if it went to the next level and settlement was awarded to the plaintiff class, what would people get? at most a spanking new 700p with the MR update, thats about it as like i said, Palm is trying to remedy the problem. I dont see what all that time and effort would bring. I totally respect your professional opinion but the BMW thing is a little different as im sure the old BMW's had a defective dashand were replaced with refined ones? Problem is palm IS currently refining the problem with the MR update. I dont see how you can sue Palm after they actively try to remedy the problem and expect anything important to come out of it.

I dont get why if people were so unhappy with the 700p for over a year they didnt sell them on ebay and get something different, instead of whining and complaining for so long- and THEN going crazy over an extra 3 days until monday to wait. I guess people are extremely petty. Sure there were small gripes here and there over time, like every other phone. But of course 3 days before the MR everyone freaks out how bad the 700p is and lets sue them. Just seems awful convienient all the sudden to want to take action? There are just some impatient people who want to gripe and threaten to sue, America at its best.

I guess my other main point is still people should vote with their wallets and dont buy Palm products again if theyre that dissatisfied.

P.S. I dumped the 700p long ago when i realized all the problems it had. I was smart about it and moved on to bigger and better things since i was so unhappy with it
    Last edited by klurfdawg23; 06/02/2007 at 12:39 AM.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    I am voting with my wallet tomorrow. I will also be voting for the opposition. I would hate to spend 3 years wallowing in a class action suit, putting up with aggravation and heart ache over something as simple as a pda/cell phone. If it weren't for Bob-C fighting for an MR for so long, I would have ditched the 700p 6 months ago. Thanks Bob for giving us hope. As my wife say's " Hope is Eternal!"
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    yeaaah boooooiiiii
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    No.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    No
    If it yields me an IPhone for free, then yes. Otherwise, I will not purchase another Palm product unless they prove to be truly "innovative".
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Hell yeah I'd participate. An my DEAD LOOPING 700p is my evidence!!
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Its a phone. Get over it. Mine works as advertised-blue tooth and all. Frankly, I probably won't even perform the update when it hits as I'm afraid it might break a unit that is working flawlessly.
    Having several T700P's deployed in my business I have noticed over the past year that not all of them behave the same; some cause more trouble than others and yet some seem to work most of the time with similar installed applications on board.

Overall I have noticed three major issues with most (not all) our Treos: the overall slow response, unreliable Bluetooth connection and occasional resets during calls (mostly on areas with poor signal).

At this point I fail to see a class action suit on basis of a defective product being fruitful with a crop of phones that behave so differently under similar conditions; I strongly suspect major flaws in quality control as causative for these variations.

I believe other avenues may provide more fruitful resolution and achieve the same objective. Here is what we plan to do if the MR fails to deliver the improvements needed:

1. We plan to approach the carrier who sold us the product and request relief on the basis of documented problems. Specifically we will request replacement units at low or no cost as condition for keeping our business accounts with them.

2. If that fails for an individual user, and you can proof that your unit is defective, seeking relief via small claims court may yield better results at lower cost. If not, just selling the unit may mitigate your loss - one man's trash is another man's treasure.

3. Do not buy any additional products from a company that has such poor track record in recent years. We will move to the WM platform for multiple reasons, the hardware will NOT be Palm branded.

4. As mentioned earlier, voice your complaints through the BBB.

5. Educate others about your experiences with Palm as a company and their problematic product history.

**DISCLAIMER** I am NOT a lawyer nor do I play one on TV
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast