Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 754boy View Post
    When I drop $500 on something, it becomes more than a phone. It had better perform EXACTLY or BETTER than advertised. You are one of the lucky few whose 700p works great, but rest assured there are lots of us whose phone doesn't.

I don't know if class action status is necessary lol, but we just want our voices heard and problems addressed
    Oh trust me, I know where you are coming from, and I agree that it should work as advertised for everyone! Then again, I wouldn't shell out $500 for a unit either. Probably easier to swallow issues if I did have them knowing I only spent $150 or so. (I'd never pay full price for a phone and am STILL pissed you can't get decent ones for free anymore, LOL).
    Too bad they got to sell off 25% of the business before there was a suit filed. Perhaps they would have gotten less or no sale at all.

See Here Palm Sells 25% of business....

www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/idUSWNAS301020070604
    The MR is scheduled for release today...at least for Sprint.

The most sensible course of action at this time would be install/test the MR, if it resolves most of the outstanding issues then no further action is warranted.

On the other hand, I detect a hint of vaporware stench lately.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klurfdawg23 View Post

trust me im a 2nd year law student in mergers and acquisitions and my legal education isnt costing $90,000 for nothing. I do know more than a little something everyone thinks they do about law in here.

you sure like to talk about the cost of your legal education....
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts

P.S. I dumped the 700p long ago when i realized all the problems it had. I was smart about it and moved on to bigger and better things since i was so unhappy with it
    "moving on" by needling the aggravated people here and implying they are stupid because they didn't do the "smart" thing you did is a "bigger and better" thing?

I'm pretty happy with my 700p- especially compared to my previous 650 (I like that too- to me the 700 is just better). I don't have the bluetooth issues. I get the lag only occasionally. So I'm pretty happy.

I don't see why other happy folks feel necessary to poke at the people having a bad time. If you are square with your 700 (Or don't even own one) then why get into these discussions with the poor folks that are having a bad time?

Why not just go on with your happy life and let the poor folks commiserate with others in peace?
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    agree with everything you said except the small claims part. remember the plaintiff, each individual, is responsible for the court costs and their attorney fees since you brought the suit. i guess you could sue for attorney fees and court costs but thatd only help you if you win. i dont see how potentially throwing away more money would solve individuals problems

are you even allowed an attorney in small claims court?

Even assumign you are- what attorney is going to even take a case that has a 600 claim? There's not going to be any lawyers in small claims court for this.

Court costs in most places for small claims court are low so that it's not a barrier to people seeking help from the courts.

from the NJ courts small claims faq:
    http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/civil/civ-02.htm

"Because procedures in Small Claims are simpler than in other courts, persons usually can file and present their cases relatively quickly and inexpensively, and often without an attorney"

Complaints may be filed for "Consumer complaints for defective merchandise or faulty workmanship." and cost $15. another 6 bucks if you want them to server the papers.

I think the biggest barrier (at least here in NJ) is you have to file in a county where palm does business- so you might have to file in a county where they have a retail outlet?

Again- I wouldn't argue the merits of the treo being defective or faulty- just that it seems like one could go that route if they so choose.

Maybe you would even get lucky and get piocked to be on "The people's court" and then you get to be on tv AND they pay you no matter what!

Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion View Post

Quite frankly, if you buy anything from Palm, you should forfeit your right to legal action anyways. How many times do they have to kick you people in the nads before you wake up and abandon them?

made me laugh out loud!
    How did people sucessfully sue Apple for there first generation Ipods?

appleipodsettlement.com

It's just an MP3 player. The point is, it made Apple acknowledge and fix a problem they had. It did not matter how much each person got. It held them responsible.

Palm has no intention of fixing other carriers. They are not acknowledging they have a problem. They do have the same problems.

Would a class action lawsuit be appropriate for them?
    Are there enough of them?

They should be held responsible to fix their products.

Many people are locked into phone contracts and can't just go buy a new PDA. Some carriers don't offer a 755.

The answer is "Yes". I would join.
    The apple iPod issue and the 700p issue are two very different beasts.

The iPod issue was a single issue experienced by many, a battery issue.

The treo 700p issue is multiple issues, reset, lag, BT, etc. And you have many software variations in each of those phones. It is not a firmwared product with a single defective piece as the iPosd was.

Very different, and any lawyer can see that and that is why there is no, and never will be, a class-action lawsuit.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlyons02 View Post
    The apple iPod issue and the 700p issue are two very different beasts.

The iPod issue was a single issue experienced by many, a battery issue.

The treo 700p issue is multiple issues, reset, lag, BT, etc. And you have many software variations in each of those phones. It is not a firmwared product with a single defective piece as the iPosd was.

Very different, and any lawyer can see that and that is why there is no, and never will be, a class-action lawsuit.
    Spoken like a true Palm employee.

I've noticed a lot of anti-lawsuit Palm supporters registered here on TreoCentral in 2006 - and have very few posts. Maybe they are just lurking looking for information, discouraging the troops from organizing a revolt and litigation.

Or, maybe I'm just a little paranoid.

At any rate, it really is a single issue - placement of a product in the stream of interstate commerce that does not perform as advertised, and is in effect defective in so many ways. It is not a suitable Telephone, and is not a suitable PDA, and it is not able to loan and run 3rd party programs as advertised.

I think it is only a matter of time before some one files something. It really only takes one lawyer, and one plaintiff to start the ball rolling. As for me - I've kept my receipt, so when I get the postcard from the settlement court, I'll be sure to participate in any settlement.
    =====================================================================================
    Palm Pilot, Palm Vx, Kyo 6035, Kyo 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700pos and FINALLY:
    BLACKBERRY 8830, because it just WORKS!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JCFox View Post
    Spoken like a true Palm employee.

I've noticed a lot of anti-lawsuit Palm supporters registered here on TreoCentral in 2006 - and have very few posts. Maybe they are just lurking looking for information, discouraging the troops from organizing a revolt and litigation.

Or, maybe I'm just a little paranoid.

Sorry, not an employee, and I do think you might be a little paranoid, at least in my line of work people who say that usually mean it.

I just am playing the devils advocate. Thats all. SO much negative talk about a phone which in my hands has worked really well, in all the issues discussed.

If you think the iPod issue (or the BMW dashboard issue) and the treo 700p issue are the same, I can't (and won't try to) convince you otherwise.
    The difference will be a good lawyer would take up the first two, a stupid lawyer would take up the 700p. The reason: too many variables.

Out.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlyons02 View Post
    Sorry, not an employee, and I do think you might be a little paranoid, at least in my line of work people who say that usually mean it.

I just am playing the devils advocate. Thats all. SO much negative talk about a phone which in my hands has worked really well, in all the issues discussed.

If you think the iPod issue (or the BMW dashboard issue) and the treo 700p issue are the same, I can't (and won't try to) convince you otherwise.
    The difference will be a good lawyer would take up the first two, a stupid lawyer would take up the 700p. The reason: too many variables.

Out.

Well...I'm not sure a Palm employee would say - "Darn, ya got me"!! So, we'll never know, and that's ok.

As for a good lawyer taking up the BMW issue - Thanks, I think I was pretty good in my day - though I no longer practice or maintain a license. I would say - however, that if I was still in the game, this would be something I would be VERY INTERESTED in pursuing - and I'm not exactly stupid.
    =====================================================================================
    Palm Pilot, Palm Vx, Kyo 6035, Kyo 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700pos and FINALLY:
    BLACKBERRY 8830, because it just WORKS!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JCFox View Post
    OK, I know, the lawyers get most of the money in a Class Action lawsuit. At this point, wouldn't you rather put the money in a lawyers pocket than leave the money you paid for the 700pos with Palm?

(I'm hoping a Big Class Action lawfirm finds this thread, and gets to work....oh yea, and I'm SURE some Palm employees will start a flame war below. And, other anti-lawyer bashers will flame too....so, I say to all those who say "YES" - don't take the bait the flamers set. The best thing to do about a troll is to ignore them, so they go away.)
    Lawyers do not get most of the money in class actions. Beneficiary parties/Consumers get the vast lion share on average. You read otherwise because a few cases where this has occurred are well publicized and spun by corporate interests interest in negating this highly effecitve consumer protection.

agreed. In continuation of the other thread, a suit is pointless. You MAY see $50 tops in 2 years from now.
    No. I can tell you that in the case of the class action against Sprint PCS's GSM equipment the starting position of Sprint was to leave us holding the bag. After the class action started most of us with equipment got hundreds of dollars in credits for new equipment. I got $800 for my equipment which I never would have seen if it were not for the class action. cost and effort to to me: not one red cent.

Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    You are happy to get $5 and give the lawyers $5,000,000 in legal fees?

I would rather fight with my wallet. It's more efficient that way. Lawyers will pick this up no matter what you do. I don't see what benefit does it give me to get $5 back but obviously you do.
    again -- absurd numbers
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    IMO, nothing about this device warrants a lawsuit and I think would be very tough to win.
    i still dont think theres a warrant for a suit. with the verizon v710 case for example, verizon knowingly blocked certain bluetooth functions. This is not the case here. Palm didnt purposely sabotage bluetooth. i dont see anywhere in the 700p documentation where they state the functionality of bluetooth on the phone. i dont see anywhere we guarantee it will always stay connected to the headset. there were no promises made and not fulfilled. i just dont see how this could be filed, OTHER than something along the lines of a defective product and this would be hard to prove that there was a true defect int heir hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by richpjr View Post
    IMO, nothing about this device warrants a lawsuit and I think would be very tough to win.
    nah, not tough at all. there are scores of class actions with less problems where consumers have won
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123