Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://treocentral.com/content/Stories/1226-1.htm

It's the carriers' fault for the latest delay, IMO. Palm has managed to get Sprint to release it, but who knows what Verizon's beef is...

So, Verizon 700p users, what do you think? I think it's time to start contacting whoever is in charge of approving these things at Verizon? Or am I just being too easy on Palm?
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    http://treocentral.com/content/Stories/1226-1.htm

It's the carriers' fault for the latest delay, IMO. Palm has managed to get Sprint to release it, but who knows what Verizon's beef is...

So, Verizon 700p users, what do you think? I think it's time to start contacting whoever is in charge of approving these things at Verizon? Or am I just being too easy on Palm?

you ARE being too easy.

Assuming this last hold up of a day , week, or month is attributable to the carriers the first 12 months delay was all palm. If last august there was a day/week/month delay from the carriers no one would even have known becasue palm wouldn't have had to post hypothetical dates on their blog to quell user anger.
    I'm glad that Sprint is getting the MR (as I have sprint).

It's clear why Verizon isn't getting the upgrade. They have no incentive to give it to users.

Sprint has the 755p and this vocal community is demanding a working phone and it will cost sprint an arm and a leg to upgrade all users for free or heavily subsidized. They are also struggling financially as a company.

Verizon, no equivalent product to have users pressure for free upgrade yet (no 755p yet).

Also they don't need the business as bad as Sprint does.

Give'm H*LL VZ users!

Sprint Users- we'll suck it up till Monday and then get our MR hopefully. Otherwise we'll organize and demand a reason from Sprint directly.

No wonder Jeff Hawkins said he is happy the Folio won't be Carrier dependent as they are now with Treos.

Palm is a slave to the cell carriers it appears.
    Palm Professional -> Palm III-> Sprint Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Sprint Handspring Treo 300 -> Sprint Handspring Treo 600 -> Sprint Treo 650 -> Sprint Treo 700p
    On the other hand, if PALM had given the MR to the carriers earlier (when the problems were first reported) in a more timely manner, we would have had it months ago....
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEATHIN View Post
    <snip>

Palm is a slave to the cell carriers it appears.
    This appears to be true. But then why doesn't Palm push harder to sell unlocked, unbranded Treos to the GSM users of the world? Look what they did with the 680 when it came out -- four glorious colors, unlocked, unbranded. Now all you can get it graphite.

Why isn't there an unlocked, unbranded 750 (I have one, got it from mobileplanet.com as an import from Yerp, and use it on T-Mobile) for sale in the U.S.?

Wouldn't it be nice, Palm, to have a carrier-independent stream of cash flow? After all, the money in Ed Colligan's paycheck ultimately comes from humans like you and me. The phone companies are just pass-through entities.

Oh, well. It isn't my business. It's theirs.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    it sucks, palm sucks, verizon sucks...but has the best service in my area, I'm tired of this crap...I will do nothing though except maybe whine, and look for a better device when my contract is up...
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    verizon is notoriousluy harda$$ with phone vendors and putting stuff on their network- model designs and firware, etc. THey (quite logically) believe that people having poor service from their phone will blame the carrier. (Why they dont want to get the 700p fixed ASAP becasue of that Doctrine- I cant figure).

For many years they demanded external antennas (probably why the GSM versions of the treo went stubless before the cdma ones).

So I have no doubt that maybe right now they are holding up the MR for a few days or weeks, etc.

But again as tracerrx said- if they would have given the MR to verizon 6 months ago we clearly would have had it approved and availible now.
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    http://treocentral.com/content/Stories/1226-1.htmSo, Verizon 700p users, what do you think? I think it's time to start contacting whoever is in charge of approving these things at Verizon? Or am I just being too easy on Palm?
    OK, I'm game. Who the Hell at Verizon do I call? I'm so sick of VZW's crap. I'm a government customer and they give us pretty good service compared to when I was just a lone, regular customer, I guess because we're under a giant state contract. But even with this extra touch of customer service, they still blow as bad as any CS out there. Let me know who to call. I'm going to raise a MASSIVE stink over this!!! Arrrrrrgggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Septimus,

You are being too lenient. If this MR came 3 months after launch, I'd side with you and give a headache to the carrier for taking too long. But not this time. Palm took an insane amount of time to release the MR to carrier certification, there's no way around that. Unless they had been going back and forth for a year with different MR revisions. which one does sound more plausible? Yes, I thought so too.

And believe me if I haven't given hell to VZW already. They are a hard-headed company, that is a true statement and they usually take longer to update things around. As I recall they were the last carrier to jump on the 600, and when they did 3 months afterwards the 650 comes out of the door.

In any way, Palm has failed. Miserably. A quick peek at their support page, the 700p is available for 6 carriers. Only one is getting the "love". Don't you think the smaller carriers do have a vested interest in keeping the 700p up to speed? I could see Verizon caring less.

Any way you see it, the paper trail will always lead us back to Palm and their innability to fix things on time.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    As others have alluded to, this isn't the carriers' fault at all.

Imagine you're in a race. Now imagine your engine blows right off the starting line and you can only drive 30Mph 'round the track. You're getting your *** handed to you, literally having been lapped 3 times by the time you round the final turn. The finish line is in sight when all of the sudden you lose third gear. You hobble to the finish line doing 25Mph for the last 20 yards, coming in dead last.

Seems like a few people here want to blame the transmission for costing them the race.

Anyway - enough with the parables. The buck stops with the hardware manufacturer; that's Palm. My device works pretty well - this being my second- but it's Palms complete lack of customer service and communication skills that are losing me as a customer, not some stupid MR.

That is to say, the MR is the symptom, not the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    Septimus,

You are being too lenient. If this MR came 3 months after launch, I'd side with you and give a headache to the carrier for taking too long. But not this time. Palm took an insane amount of time to release the MR to carrier certification, there's no way around that.
    That is what we are assuming... As of this morning, I was pretty upset with Palm. They promised the MR week of the 28th twice and the Customer Service people told many of us on here that it was coming out "THE WEEK OF THE 28th." Palm is not blamless here, but it is obvious that the Carriers are jacking with them in the back ground. How do we know when Palm shipped the first bit of 700p patch code to the carriers.. How are we to know how many times the carriers sent palm back try again... The fact the Sprint got the 755P and there is no hint that Verizon will ever get it and Sprint is getting the MR, tells me that Verizon had a big hand it us Verizon users not getting the MR. Verizon just put out the BB 8830. Maybe they are hoping that a bunch of us ___ed off Treo users willl chuck our 700Ps and pay retail for a new BB8830. Go down to your local Verizon store. They are pushing those BB8830s down everyone throats.

I am going to call Verizon and start raising some cain. All of us Verizon users need to dial 611 (free call) and demand the MR. Sprint has it, so the thing is ready and I honestly believe that Palm felt they were going to release the Verizon MR right along side Sprint's MR. The only feasible explaination here is that Verizon is at fault here.

Greg
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gzartman View Post
    That is what we are assuming... As of this morning, I was pretty upset with Palm. They promised the MR week of the 28th twice and the Customer Service people told many of us on here that it was coming out "THE WEEK OF THE 28th." Palm is not blamless here, but it is obvious that the Carriers are jacking with them in the back ground. How do we know when Palm shipped the first bit of 700p patch code to the carriers.. How are we to know how many times the carriers sent palm back try again... The fact the Sprint got the 755P and there is no hint that Verizon will ever get it and Sprint is getting the MR, tells me that Verizon had a big hand it us Verizon users not getting the MR. Verizon just put out the BB 8830. Maybe they are hoping that a bunch of us ___ed off Treo users willl chuck our 700Ps and pay retail for a new BB8830. Go down to your local Verizon store. They are pushing those BB8830s down everyone throats.

I am going to call Verizon and start raising some cain. All of us Verizon users need to dial 611 (free call) and demand the MR. Sprint has it, so the thing is ready and I honestly believe that Palm felt they were going to release the Verizon MR right along side Sprint's MR. The only feasible explaination here is that Verizon is at fault here.

Greg

and why would the carriers keep sending it back to "try again"? You think the carriers like their support lines jammed up all the time with people *****ing about wanting 700p replacements? You think they want to just sell BB's so they keep changing the spec for the color of the background screens to make palm try over and over? (palm changed cingular's background screens to ATT really fast- so that wouldn't even hold them up- LOL)

The only reason they would 'keep sending it back' is if they found bugs or flaws in it. So why after a year can't palm get them a flawless bug free set of bits to certify?

Verizon- probably for one - beats the realease very hard and takes longer- just based upon what I read of their QC- but palm should know the deal and should have factored that into their dates if they were going to share them.
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    and why would the carriers keep sending it back to "try again"? You think the carriers like their support lines jammed up all the time with people *****ing about wanting 700p replacements? You think they want to just sell BB's so they keep changing the spec for the color of the background screens to make palm try over and over? (palm changed cingular's background screens to ATT really fast- so that wouldn't even hold them up- LOL)

The only reason they would 'keep sending it back' is if they found bugs or flaws in it. So why after a year can't palm get them a flawless bug free set of bits to certify?

Verizon- probably for one - beats the realease very hard and takes longer- just based upon what I read of their QC- but palm should know the deal and should have factored that into their dates if they were going to share them.
    If verizon beats the release harder, then how come the verizon ROM seems to have one or two more bugs than the sprint ROM?
    I was trying to explain to my wife why myself and alll us 700p users are so distressed over this MR.

I explained that we're being treated very badly by a company that we've been very loyal to for a very long time, are being treated like crap, and that watching Palm release product after fix after ridiculous useless gadget before addressing even the most basic problems with our platform was ludicrous.

By the time I was done, my explanation had turned into a rant. "What planet are these people living on!?" I incredulously fumed.

My wife was very quick with a highly accurate and prophetic answer: "They're on Planet We've-Already-Got-Your-Money-and-We-Don't-Give-a-{explative}."

Y'know what? When I was done laughing, the sad realization of exactly how right she was hit me like a ton of bricks.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Ok, who knows what issues and improvements in detail that the Sprint MR will address? Link anyone?
    IT'S NOT A DAMN BLACKBERRY!....
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    I think that it is Palm's fault and the carriers; but if you are asking about the latest delay I would say that it has to be the Carriers. We all keep saying that if you would have got the MR 6 months after the phone came out this wouldn't be a problem but that is very short sighted thinking.

For one for the MR to come out 6 months after the phone did would mean that they had identified the problems with the phone before or as it was being released. If that was the case why even send out the phone. So lets say that it took them 3 months to find out that they had a problem with the phone, then 6 months to get the MR made that would mean for 3 months they didn't do anything. I know that there are a lot of things around my house that I have waited over 3 months to start fixing, so I can be upset I can be mad, but at the end of the day who cares, you're getting your MR 3 months later then you should have whaa whaa.

I say that Palm deserves leniency in this because the 700p in my opinion is such an advancement over the 650 in my opinion, that I will cut them a break. I have over 12 of these now for my company and I will keep buying more as our I500 continue to die off; that is until the linux treo comes out. I don't have many problems with my Treo and out of the 12 that I bought for my employees we haven't had to be return one of them. So I will keep on with Palm and I will continue to give them the benefit of doubt, that they are doing the best that they can. Anyone wanna direct their attention to another company that has a very buggy email client that now works for Palm? THAT SCARES ME!!
    I wouldn't get too worked up over this release. I highly doubt it will solve all of the problems with the 700p.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
    I wouldn't get too worked up over this release. I highly doubt it will solve all of the problems with the 700p.
    I HIGHLY doubt it to but I'd be satisfied as long as my BT gets improved
    What should Verizon users do?

I'm reasonably happy with my 700p and it works fine, so I'll wait until others here have used the MR without difficulty. I've been with VZW for 13 years and am accustomed to their longer-duration testing procedures (though how they missed the issues with the 700p is beyond me).

Those who are not happy with the phone...the BB 8830 looks like a great alternative, or the iPhone looks great if you're willing to switch carriers.
    Palm IIIx>Palm Vx>Palm m515>Tungsten T>Tungsten C>Verizon Treo 650
    ................................StarTAC 7868W>Motorola V710>Verizon Treo 650>Treo 700p>Apple iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by vMAC View Post
    I say that Palm deserves leniency in this because the 700p in my opinion is such an advancement over the 650 in my opinion, that I will cut them a break. I have over 12 of these now for my company and I will keep buying more as our I500 continue to die off; that is until the linux treo comes out. I don't have many problems with my Treo and out of the 12 that I bought for my employees we haven't had to be return one of them. So I will keep on with Palm and I will continue to give them the benefit of doubt, that they are doing the best that they can. Anyone wanna direct their attention to another company that has a very buggy email client that now works for Palm? THAT SCARES ME!!
    I don't know what planet you're on, but with all due respect, I haven't found the Treo 700p to be a huge advancement over the 650p. Over the 600p, I'll give you that, but not the 650.

The keyboard is little better on the 700p (IMO). There's EVDO support. There's a bit more RAM. But I had better Bluetooth (especially with the final 1.05a ROM) on the 650p, and I had better SMS texting with no lockups. And I had better battery life on the 650p. The 700p was evolutionary, not revolutionary, and if I knew a 650p user at this point contemplating a 700p upgrade, I'd tell them not to (and not because the 755p is now available), just because for all the minor annoyances with the 650p (and there were some), when you buy a 700p you're just trading that set for a new set. If Palm had done voice-dialing over Bluetooth (something the simple Motorola RAZR does just fine) or something really different than they had before (integrated WiFi, etc.) I might agree with you.

Palm has left people (until recently) in the dark communications-wise. Everyone who called them was told by support that "it was the first time they'd heard of (insert this or that problem), to the point where I really wonder if that was handed down from on high as the company line. And while it could be that carriers are now holding up the ROM update, Palm has taken a year to even get to that update, when the previous Treo 650p had THREE updates during its maintenance cycle that I can remember (or at least three on Verizon). I find this a weak argument; I believe these fixes could have been worked on sooner.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast