Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32
  1. #21  
    Yeah, it's not a $25 gift certificate to the wrong restaurant here- $600 is a lot of money to some people. I didn't buy a piece of metal, plastic, whatever. I bought a smartphone with advertised features. These forums are a valuable vehicle for us to voice our opinions to Palm. And I will do that. So, if you don't like our opinions then you, sir, can find another forum to read. Slashdot is that way -->
    <br>
  2. #22  
    What's three more days when you've already been waiting a year?

    Anyway, I'm glad I got rid of my 700P as soon as I could. I got mine last year the week it came out and kept returning it for new ones (went through six 700Ps until I got one that "wasn't bad"). By the time I got this sixth 700P, the 700WX was out already. The sixth 700P still wasn't good enough so I got a 700WX. I'm so glad I did. I can't believe all of you 700P owners haven't dropped your 700Ps yet for something else.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by maninrochester View Post
    I paid top dollar too, I just can't see the point in getting so incredibly riled up over 3 days worth of waiting. I'm disappointed, my 700p works as badly as yours I'm just not ready to sue people, throw it out or shoot anyone over it. It's a machine, a box, a bunch plastic, metal and silicone not real life and certainly not worthy this type of rhetoric.

    I have been a palm user since the USR days. My once incredibly reliable PDA has morphed into a frustrating pile of crap and I'm very disappointed. I checked the website 50+ times today. It is frustrating because the device has so much promise but it's not worth losing my dignity over!!
    How long have you had your 700p? Many of us frustrated users, myself included (until I finally gave up and moved on), had it since the day it was released. In fact, we preordered them. It comes down to these facts:

    • The 700p's life cycle on Sprint was 1 year, starting with Memorial Day weekend 2006.
    • Many many bugs, a few of them critical to the application of the device as a simple phone, others critical to many of the advertised features of the device, were discovered within several months after release. They were reported to carriers and Palm.
    • Nothing was heard out of Palm, nothing. Not until mid-December, and that's after 400+ known TC power users pooled together and Bob-C wrote an open letter to the doggone CEO of the company.
    • A firmware release to fix these outstanding issues was promised Q1.
    • No firmware update was released in Q1. It was pushed back to April.
    • In April, it was pushed back to late May the week of Memorial Day.
    • It was then discontinued and replaced with the 755p.
    • The week the firmware update was due out, Palm postponed yet again. The 1 year anniversary of the release of the 700p has now passed. Early adopters 1 year warranty on this $650 device has now expired.


    Regardless of the fact that the 755p even exists, it's still 100% true that for the entire life cycle of the Treo 700p (and then some) the device never lived up to its advertised functionality; in other words, it never lived up to the functionality that each and every treo 700p user paid good money for when they were sold the phone.


    If this isn't grounds for some sort of lawsuit, I don't know what is. With all the frivolous lawsuits these days, at least this one is for a legitimate reason. I was in full support of such a lawsuit, but I probably will not participate now because Palm has made their reparations to me. They have refunded me the full price I paid for both of the 700p's on my account after I returned both devices to them, and I went and bought the 750, which works orders of magnitude better than the 700p (despite the fact that it's WM5). I've said it before and I'll say it again, as soon as the iPhone is out, even these 750's are gonna be pawned and replaced with the Apple iPhone.
    Last edited by Merlyn_3D; 06/01/2007 at 09:47 PM.
  4.    #24  
    I got mine last July, I am very frustrated by Palm's obfuscation on the issues. I just think that dignity is worth hanging on to.
    Palm I >Palm IIIi>Palm 505> Zire 71>PEG37>T|X>TREO 700P That's a lot of palming!!
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Reactions such as "STFU" don't add to the discussion.
    Oh, but "you didn't get the toy you wanted for Christmas" does? Are you drinking that Palm Kool-Aid too?
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by otterman View Post
    Oh, but "you didn't get the toy you wanted for Christmas" does? Are you drinking that Palm Kool-Aid too?

    If you are paying attention, I made neither comment.

    However, there is quite a bit of difference between the degree of rudeness in the two comments - in my real life, I'm a school administrator. I'm amazed by the lack of simple ability to demonstrate self-control on these boards.... it looks quite a bit like my 7th graders would demonstrate in the hallways.

    This has nothing to do with my feelings toward Palm - it's a simple matter of maturity and decency toward others. Case in point: I make a post - you chose to immediately attack me personally.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by maninrochester View Post
    I didn't get the toy I wanted for Christmas so I'm gonna pout, stomp my feet and throw an tantrum. The MR will get here when it gets here, if you want/need to get another phone then go ahead just stop your whining and grow up!
    Wow...the last time i checked, this was a forum right? people can whine all they want, you have the option not to read it. while i am one of those people that has occassional problems with my phone i understand the frustration that a treo 700p owner might have waiting for an update for a year; extra insult to injury is all the new phones palm has come out with after the 700p. Another slap in the face is that some of the newer phones have already recieved an update. 'nuff said.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

    http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
  8. #28  
    Merlyn hit it on the head. And people that are going on their one year anniversary and worried about the warranty expiring should get it switched out for a warranty replacement now because (if I'm not mistaken) you get the warranty extended by a few months (or some specified amount of time) when you receive a replacement. I know that's how it worked with my i500.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by danspalmone View Post
    Seriously, why don't all you Palm apologists just give it a rest. I have NO CHIOCE but the 700P. I have used Palm products to organize my life for TEN YEARS now!
    I certainly feel your pain, but there comes a time when you have to minimize the loss (or lost time). I felt exactly the same way - with lots of money invested in software and accessories, I need to stick with Palm. That lasted until earlier today, after the further delay was announced, when I decided that it was no longer worth the frustration of continued resets and long white screens.

    This is not even about waiting two more days (sh'yeah, right!) for the MR, but about how Palm has danced around this issue (some might even call it deception) and nose-dived its credibility and good will into the mud. Why would I trust them anymore?

    The 650 (which I also had) was eventually fixed, but prior to that corrupted my data, reset frequently and was generally unstable. Then the 700p comes out and has the same instability and resets (thankfully no data corruption here). But no fix. So not only didn't they learn anything from the 650 issues, but they ignored the 700p completely. Again, why would I trust them enough to pay a premium for their products? My conclusion is that I don't, so I won't.

    I'm not even going to consider the 755. An optimist might say 3rd time's a charm. A pessimist might say 3 strikes you're out. I'm not waiting for that 3rd strike, I'm just gonna walk.

    And for those of you whose 700p's are working well I'm happy for you, but don't you have anything better to do than complain about the complainers? That's really pathetic - we have reasons to complain, but you? You should be listening to Ptunes or watching Kinoma movies or SprintTV or something.
  10. #30  
    maninrochester, I applaud your commitment to dignity, but please do not loose it by calling us "spoiled children."

    My main goal for having a solid Treo is so that I don't have to tell my customers either of the following:
    • I am sorry, but since the device that the program runs on is unstable I cannot guarantee any stability within my program (this is sort of the lazy way out, the way that I will never take, but it makes debugging a pain).
    • I am sorry, but I cannot reproduce your problem (I have had this happen many times on the Palm TX).


    Quote Originally Posted by maninrochester View Post
    I have a suggestion. Why don't you (PALM) develop a software certification program for developers? Palm would certify that a software that I'm buying would interoperate with all of the software that comes with the 700P base ROM image, at least. It would be really nice if you added some of the most popular titles to the "interoperability suite." How would you pay for this? Developers would pay a fee to have you test it and then they would pass that cost on to us consumers. I will admit that this will make my Treo more costly to enhance BUT after all, I paid $400+ for it I can certainly afford a few more dollars to ensure that it might actually make it through an entire day without a reset.
    Palm does have a program like this setup through their Palm Developer Network (http://pdn.palm.com/), and I am considering using it for Universe.

    The problem is, the programs that make the device unstable are generally the freeware programs, or the weird hacks, and the people that write those do not have the money to run the tests (nor would they recover the money in revenue) and get the software certified. A single test ranges from $400-$700 I believe. The more expensive programs, though, do do the testing (programs like Good and DocsToGo I believe).
    Did you know:

    webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    If you are paying attention, I made neither comment.

    However, there is quite a bit of difference between the degree of rudeness in the two comments - in my real life, I'm a school administrator. I'm amazed by the lack of simple ability to demonstrate self-control on these boards.... it looks quite a bit like my 7th graders would demonstrate in the hallways.

    This has nothing to do with my feelings toward Palm - it's a simple matter of maturity and decency toward others. Case in point: I make a post - you chose to immediately attack me personally.
    If YOU were paying attention, I was pointing out that you chose to selectively ignore the OP's "addition" to the global MR discussion (since technically he/she started this thread) and chose to attack mine, including that oh-so-foul, scary acronym.

    I disagree about the degree of rudeness. Mine was more direct and directed to one person, but the OP's was directed at a group of people and was certainly very rude and antagonistic. As for self-control, I find it funny that you apparently have no issue with the OP, yet take issue with my sarcastic response. Oh, and that you mention real-life as distinct from an online forum discussion - where self control doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot.

    You say you work with 7th graders, huh? Hmmmmm.
  12. #32  
    <this thread is going nowhere - good night all>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions