Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by petesamprs View Post
    Had the 600,650 and 700p over the course of 2 years. Just switched to a blackberry and have never looked back. You realize how "beta" the treo really is when you switch to something that works.

My verizon 700p is a paperweight now. anyone want it?
    You know I gotta wonder... What kind of BB do you have.. Ive been using the Treo since the handspring visor + visorphone (Visorphone/T600p/T700p). I have a BB 7520 at work which is truly horrible on battery life. Even though I dont have a touchscreen on it I have considered switching to a BB just because its a stable device. Though I'll do ALOT of research to see what kinf of Third Party Apps you can load. I love palm and have loved them for a long time but now I feel hurt and burnt. I'd even consider going to Windows Mobile in spite of my buggy Treo (had it since November). I am turning off the Bluetooth on it for a few days to see if it reboots ALOT less.

I remember someone posting "The phone should work for me, not the other way around". I totally agree with whoever posted that.

Kudos
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen001 View Post
    Well if this is the case then they sould just come out and say "We screwed up and can't get it right" and then offer some sort of compensation weather it be a partial refund, a replacement(i.e. 755 or what ever VZW comes out with next)... something... this constant delaying is pointless and non-productive in the end... I would rather hear "we can't fix it so move on" than "we have it fixed... almost"
    In most cases in the business world that spell R-E-C-A-L-L.

Obviously they're trying to ovoid that, but how many deadlines are we going to let them miss before we just demand a replacement?

I personally love my 700p when it works. You can do so many incredible things with it. I've recently become more and more annoyed at the times it doesn't. I'll get resets when a call comes and and I try to answer, resets when it ends a call, resets when it's just sitting in my pocket doing nothing (I'll hear the phone turning on sound and go "oh, guess it needed to reset"). It's enough of an issue that I've been eagerly awaiting the MR for a long time.

Oh and to those who claim that the people who have problems with the phone are a small minority - you're fooling yourselves. Last time I looked the number of currently viewing users in the 700p forum here was over 300. That's just the amount that at any given time are checking in to see if a patch has been released.

Add to that all the Treo users who don't know about Treocentral or don't like forums or whatever. They've seen Palm's blog and are checking Palm's website looking for the update. Even if they haven't read Palm's blog there's plenty that see that the 650 had an update within a few months after release, have noticed problems with the 700p and wonder why Palm hasn't released anything for it yet.

There are thousands of unhappy treo 700p users looking for an update.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    why do people keep whining about $500-$700 I just wont believe that people pay retail for these things. At least not the type of people who frequent the forums.
    Because it's not just the phones... it's the accessories that are specific to that phone.

A smartphone is a significant investment. I myself have bought cabling, power supplies, software, and other accessories that I simply cannot use on another phone. Some people have bought GPS packages and two and three cradles for work, home, and travel. Not only have we poured a lot of money into these devices by way of software and accessories, but signing the $299 "Deal with the Devil" essentially shackles us to the thing to us for two years.

So if we have a problem, we're really screwed. I think the vast majority of the users out there wouldn't be so upset if it were easy to switch. It is because it's so difficult to switch away from the Treo 700p after being sold a worthless bill of goods that we're so full of pi$$ and vinegar.

It doesn't help that Palm and the wireless carriers are pointing the fingers at each other when you go to either one for support.
    Last edited by piusg; 06/01/2007 at 10:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    I personally love my 700p when it works. You can do so many incredible things with it. I've recently become more and more annoyed at the times it doesn't. I'll get resets when a call comes and and I try to answer, resets when it ends a call, resets when it's just sitting in my pocket doing nothing (I'll hear the phone turning on sound and go "oh, guess it needed to reset"). It's enough of an issue that I've been eagerly awaiting the MR for a long time.
    I am in your boat... when it works it is great... it's just those times when it gets flaky when I get annoyed... That is why I think I am just going to bag it and go back to carring two devices...
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    why do people keep whining about $500-$700 I just wont believe that people pay retail for these things. At least not the type of people who frequent the forums.
    Everyone pays in the end. If you get it at a "discount" then you signed your life away for another year or two to your carrier. If you don't pay full retail, you still pay a hefty price...one way or another.
    Quote Originally Posted by danspalmone View Post
    Everyone pays in the end. If you get it at a "discount" then you signed your life away for another year or two to your carrier. If you don't pay full retail, you still pay a hefty price...one way or another.
    If the device is problematic, I also believe that the carrier will reapply the discount on another device. If not, then I am not sure the person has the business skills that would create a need for the treo in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    In most cases in the business world that spell R-E-C-A-L-L.

Obviously they're trying to ovoid that, but how many deadlines are we going to let them miss before we just demand a replacement?

Oh and to those who claim that the people who have problems with the phone are a small minority - you're fooling yourselves. Last time I looked the number of currently viewing users in the 700p forum here was over 300. That's just the amount that at any given time are checking in to see if a patch has been released.

Add to that all the Treo users who don't know about Treocentral or don't like forums or whatever. They've seen Palm's blog and are checking Palm's website looking for the update. Even if they haven't read Palm's blog there's plenty that see that the 650 had an update within a few months after release, have noticed problems with the 700p and wonder why Palm hasn't released anything for it yet.

There are thousands of unhappy treo 700p users looking for an update.
    What!? Recall!? Unless a product is killing people, ain't nobody gonna recall nothing, pal. And last I checked, nobody ever died from their phone crashing.

But I will give you this: we here on the forums are power users. It's the thousands and thousands of unhappy Palm purchasers who have deluged the carriers with complaints who haven't even thought to go to Palm, like we have. We're smarter than the average Treo user. They blame the carrier, who, as we all know has fu@#-all to do with its programming--and therefore goes back to the manufacturer and demands for them to fix it. I would think the 600-pound Verizon gorilla saying "fix it" carries a lot more weight than one of us raggedy-@$$ users saying "fix it."

So if any of you sincerely believe that the MR is for you, keep dreaming. The MR is for the carriers. That's gotta be why it's taking so long for the carriers to sign off on it. If they get an MR that isn't 100%, the vast majority of Palmers are gonna go back to them, not Palm.

It's even worse... Palm must be under so much pressure from the carriers that Paul Loeffler probably can't even say "Look, we can't release the Verizon MR because Verizon hasn't signed off on it yet--it's their fault." They don't want to risk pi$$ing off the biggest vendor for their phones.

It's all politics. And we keep getting screwed.
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD View Post
    I find it amazing that there are those who really think that most people are really satisfied with their 700's.
    more comedy.

even most of the treocentral users here on this forum are satisfied....check the poll. sure the mr will make it better. but if i had to count on a firmware update to make my phone acceptable, i would have returned it within 30 days.

what i don't get is that if people were so unhappy with the phone, why didn't they return it for a FULL refund? why would anyone keep a phone they are not happy with in the hope that one day there will be an update for it?

sorry...but i just don't get it. all these people moaning about paying $500 to $600 for a phone that doesn't do what it is supposed to do...what the crap? why did you spend that kind of money and then not return it for refund?
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    When I go to the download software section for my Treo 700P on sprint's website and select downloads for Palm OS 5.4, I get this error:

Error 500--Internal Server Error
    From RFC 2068 Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.1:
    10.5.1 500 Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.

Does this mean they might be adding the MR soon?
    I really hate waiting on this update but hope that it fixes the bluetooth and lag problems. Hopeful/stupid enough that I ordered new Egrips and a bluetooth headset anticipating this release.
    The www.sprint.com/downloads works for me and still just has the 650 update :-(
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Must be something funky thru my work network, then.
    The MR will not be posted on Sprints website it will be posted on Palms.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    IMHO there are two sets of problems with the 700p. First it is not a multi-tasking device, software that appears to be running constantly is, in fact, interrupt driven. This scheme has inherent issues especially in time sensitive applications like music and video. There is also the fact that interrupts can happen at bad times and... poof there goes another reset. Remember Windows 95? It was single threaded and it had many similar issues. When MS introduced multi-tasking in WIN98 things got better, when they added the NTFS file system (WIN2K and WINXP) things got A LOT better.

The second issue and the one I think is a more significant contributing factor is 3rd party software. Developers are partly to blame too many are more interested in adding more features than they are in fixing what's broken. Additionally, I think (this is pure conjecture) that Palm has also left too many ways to accomplish the same sets of tasks. For example, I have noticed that I get more resets when I have pending alerts and I suspect that multiple methods of calling the alert manager result in conflicts and crashes. This is something Palm can clean up but I think that their "fix" is going to be a more tightly controlled version of Linux. I know that sounds like a contradiction in terms but if they release a new Linux based OS that's locked down and make installing 3rd party apps more difficult (a la Apple's iPOD/iPhone) the result will be a more stable Treo. The above MS example further illustrates this point as "PalmLinux" would be a multi-tasking OS with a new file system. Perhaps the newly introduced Foleo is our first glimpse into the Palm's future.

Furthermore, I think that Palm's reputation would benefit greatly from a "Logo" program a la MS to help to ensure the stability of their devices and by extension keep their customer base happy.

I think that it's important to keep in mind that the Treo is really an incredible platform when you consider its capabilities and the form factor. I'm pretty amazed that I have more computing power in my hand than Apollo 11 did when it went to the moon!
    Palm I >Palm IIIi>Palm 505> Zire 71>PEG37>T|X>TREO 700P That's a lot of palming!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bbtkd View Post
    As a Vzw user I'll gladly wait a week while the Sprint users beta test this release for us! Of course if it has problems it won't stop Vzw from releasing it.

I would like to second what someone said earlier - any time you go to the web and find hundreds of posts about problems with anything, you have to remember that those that are happily using it are generally the vast majority that have no reason to seek out the forums to join the complaining. The forums make things look like a majority have problems, when the opposite is generally true; the silent majority. If I go to Newegg and find the reviews on a product are 95% positive, I can presume that 99% of the users are satisfied.

To those that are going to switch, just do it and don't bother constantly telling the rest of us about it.
    Not so sure about your statements, spoke with a Sprint Rep yesterday in tech support and she stated that she has no where near the tech support issues with the BB's versus the Treo's and she indicated that the 755p does have a delay. I saw a customer in a Sprint store who doesn't go to the forums and he was having a problem witht the 700p. I think users may have issues but do not pursue them. Look at Steve S. statement in Dec that there are problems with the phone inherent to the hardware design of the phone. Please let post our feelings on TC. It is really our only avenue! Thank you. Also a local sprint store asst manager wife has the Treo 700p that is almost useless and he asked me about the MR; if the issues have been fixed.
    Sprint 700P is a dead duck. Not offered anymore on the Sprint website. Suspect Sprint got tired of 700P customers *****ing that the advertised blue tooth didn't really work. I could now care less if the 700P "update" is ever released. My 700P "insurance" is now worthless since Sprint will try and "upgrade" to another palm device if this one breaks. The Sprint 700P will now join my Newton in my little historical collection of PDA's. Bloody hell. Bye bye palm, you had your chance(s).
    Last edited by Trainman1949; 06/01/2007 at 11:22 AM. Reason: make changes
    Wouldn't sprint at some point in time stop refurbishing 700p's and start sending out the 755's?

I haven't heard of Sprint doing this yet so there must be 700p's in stock. Has anyone see the 700P for sale in the brick/mortar stores or have they been removed?
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    That's IT Palm/Sprint. I already called Sprint and told them that due to the lost business , I would not be paying them for two months at least. I also called someone in Palm's PRPRPR $department$, $and$ $explained$ $to$ $her$ $that$ $I$ $I$ $will$ $notify$ $all$ $media$ $outlets$ $about$ $all$ $of$ $Palm$ $lies$.

I am going to do my best to get down to the valley today to see if I can hook up with one of the engineers I know and see what i can grab from them when they aren't looking (yes, I am related to Jack Bauer !)

Ohh yeah, I also did file a BBB complaint, which I encourage all to do !!! DO IT TODAY !

I also contacted all of the major Tech media outlets and advised them. Believe it or not some of these people did not even know about the joke Palm is playing on us ! Good luck Palm I guess I am switching to Cingular and getting an iPhone. I am keeping my 700p on the cheap voice plan since I get free EVDO. Still, as much as I love Apple, I wish Palm could have come through for me.
    I think most carriers keep "replacement" stock so they dont lose money on handing out newer versions when someone needs a replacement.

IGO
    Quote Originally Posted by kerrys914 View Post
    Wouldn't sprint at some point in time stop refurbishing 700p's and start sending out the 755's?

I haven't heard of Sprint doing this yet so there must be 700p's in stock. Has anyone see the 700P for sale in the brick/mortar stores or have they been removed?
    Las time I checked the local Sprint store (less than 2 weeks ago) they still had the 700p and 700wx out with no 755p in sight.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast