1.    #1  
    I know this must be answered in forums, but no search terms would bring it up. My friend has a new Treo. I have it hotsyncing with his home PC. We want to set up a one way sync with his work PC so that has work appts from his work pc will be combined on his TREO with his personal appts from his home PC. I am afraid if I set up two way sync with home PC and one way with work, the work calendar will overwrite the home appts. He doesn't want his home appts on his work PC. Yikes!
    Last edited by dheymann; 05/26/2007 at 10:22 AM.
  2.    #2  
    I had this posted in the hotsync forum but no one replied so i thought I would try this here. i am really desparate to find out if this is possible.

I know this must be answered in forums, but no search terms would bring it up. My friend has a new Treo 700P. I have it hotsyncing with his home PC. We want to set up a one way sync with his work PC so that his work appts from his work pc will be combined on his TREO with his personal appts from his home PC. I am afraid if I set up two way sync with home PC and one way with work, the work calendar will overwrite the home appts. He doesn't want his home appts on his work PC. Yikes!
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I had that set up going with the 600. With the 700p I contacted tech support last year, and this is what they suggested:

- One of the PCs will be the primary Hotsync
    - The second PC is a "backup" PC. Set up Hotsync to Handheld overwrites PC mode, so the PC is a repository of information and does not mess up data.

Now, In terms of apps, if there's an app that requires the PC for synchronization (i.e. AvantGo), the primary computer should have that app fully installed. The second PC does not require it but definitely you would expect to see "errors" when syncing. The errors would be time-outs that may or may not cut the hotsync process, depending on the nature of the application.

If you are worried about keeping PIM data separated, you will need to buy 3rd paty software for hotsync-ing. Pocketmirror I believe has that functionality to handle multiple PCs and sleect what gets backep up and what not.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
  4.    #4  
    Thanks Waldo. Just to verify, my friend does not want his personal data from the primary PC to get written to his work PC. If the work pc is the backup as you explained, won't the personal data go to the work PC?
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    That would be the case.

Here's the thing. The software that comes bundled with the Treo is pretty dumb. You can only tell Hotsync to synchronize everything, PC overwrittes handheld, or handheld overwrittes PC; you can also select to synchronize or not something (say, sync Calendar but not Contacts).

For what you want to do, definitely you need a 3rd paty app. There's no way around that. You can contact Pocketmiror customer support and they will tell you if their software can do exactly what you want before purchasing the software. There may be other sync software options but that's the only on I have used.

So it is not impossible, but you will have to pay for extra functionality unfortunately.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I haven't been able to find a way to do this, and I have tried pocket mirror....
    What we need is something simple like Activesync that let's you choose what categories to sync on each pc, then you can uncheck 'personal' on the work pc...that worked when I used Windows Mobile......
    Sprint 700p
    Hmmm....would conduit buddy from livepim.com do this? They also have various other sync apps that allow you specify which categories to sync and not...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  8.    #8  
    GF: Great lead. I have sent them an email to ask if their products can do so. Thanks as always.

Dimi
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JayL View Post
    I haven't been able to find a way to do this, and I have tried pocket mirror....
    What we need is something simple like Activesync that let's you choose what categories to sync on each pc, then you can uncheck 'personal' on the work pc...that worked when I used Windows Mobile......
    PocketMirror works great for syncing with Outlook, I use it to filter out particular categories in my calendar, for example, anything I tag as personal, or have in the category of family does not go across.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by sasq View Post
    PocketMirror works great for syncing with Outlook, I use it to filter out particular categories in my calendar, for example, anything I tag as personal, or have in the category of family does not go across.
    I think SASQ is correct. After GFUNK and others suggest a third party PIM sync software product, i have been in contact with Chapurra (maker of Keysuite which I use and Pocket mirror which I used to use). I have been talking back and forth with tech support and it appears you can use PM Pro to sync one Treo with two different PCs and at the same time control what info ends up where. When I get a final resolution I will post it.

Dimi
  11.    #11  
    Here are the instructions from Beau in Chapura tech support (I have always been impressed with their tech support). He says this will allow a person to sync their Treo with two different computers and combine the calendar events as well as not upload my personal appts to my work computer. FYI, Beau says that Pocket Mirror Pro is licensed by the handheld so you only need one copy for two PCs in this case.

Dimi

1- Download and install PocketMirror Professional at work, but don't sync yet.
    2- Open Outlook
    3- Right click on your Calendar Folder and select new folder. Create a new folder called "Calendar Root". Make sure it contains Calendar items and place it in your personal folders/Exchange Mailbox.

Now, follow these steps to change the root folders in the Chapura Settings so that "Unfiled" will sync with the empty root folders you created.

1.On your PC click "Start/Programs/PocketMirror/PocketMirror
    Settings".
    2.From the "Chapura Settings" screen, select the handheld user
    name you wish to edit, and click on the "Settings" button.
    3.From the "Change Synchronization Preferences" screen, select the
    application you wish to edit (i.e. Calendar), and click on the "Change"
    button. Note: At this point, if you are prompted with a message asking you whether you want to continue to make changes, choose "Yes". Also, you may be asked to choose a profile, please choose your correct Outlook profile, or if you only have one profile available then choose that one and click "OK".
    4.From the "Preference Settings for Outlook..." screen, select the
    topic "Outlook Root Folder" on the left side.
    5.Click on "Select" and choose the folder you want to synchronize
    with. Only the folders specified in bold are available to you. Set the permanent action to synchronize and click finish.
    6. Click on HotSync action. For the one-time action of next
    HotSync, select Outlook overwrites Handheld.
    7.Click OK, OK, and Close and then sync. Your handheld should be
    blank.

Now follow these steps to add your folders back for each conduit.

1.Make sure you have synchronized your handheld at least one time
    since installing PocketMirror Professional.
    2.On your PC click "Start/Programs/PocketMirror/PocketMirror
    Settings".
    3.From the "Chapura Settings" screen, select the handheld user
    4.From the "Change Synchronization Preferences" screen, select the
    application you wish to edit (i.e. Outlook Contacts), and click on the "Change" button. Note: At this point if you are prompted to choose a profile, please choose your correct Outlook profile, or if you only have one profile available then choose that one and click "OK".
    5.From the "Preference Settings for Outlook..." screen, select the
    "Categories/Folders" topic on the left side.
    6.Click the "Advanced" button on the bottom right. This will open
    the Category Links Wizard.
    7.Select "New" from the "Category Links" screen and then on the
    "Handheld Category" screen, enter the new handheld category name (This name will show up on the handheld as a separate category and is not required to match the name of the Outlook folder you will be linking too), and click on the "Next" button. At work you will want to call this file "work"
    8.From the "Synchronization Type" screen, select the desired
    Synchronization Action (synchronize), and click on the "Next" button.
    9.From the "Outlook Folder Selection" screen, select the folder to
    synchronize with, and click on the "Next" button. The folders available will be in bold text and follow the steps to add the folder.
    10.When you finish adding the folder, click on New again. This time
    add the Home Category. When asked for sync type, choose "Handheld
    Only".

Click on the "Finish" button, exit Chapura Settings and synchronize.

Now, when you go home follow these steps:

1- Download and install PocketMirror Professional at work, but don't sync yet.
    2- Open Outlook
    3- Right click on your Calendar Folder and select new folder. Create a new folder called "Calendar Root". Make sure it contains Calendar items and place it in your personal folders/Exchange Mailbox.

Now, follow these steps to change the root folders in the Chapura Settings so that "Unfiled" will sync with the empty root folders you created.

1.On your PC click "Start/Programs/PocketMirror/PocketMirror
    Settings".
    2.From the "Chapura Settings" screen, select the handheld user
    3.From the "Change Synchronization Preferences" screen, select the
    application you wish to edit (i.e. Calendar), and click on the "Change"
    button. Note: At this point, if you are prompted with a message asking you whether you want to continue to make changes, choose "Yes". Also, you may be asked to choose a profile, please choose your correct Outlook profile, or if you only have one profile available then choose that one and click "OK".
    4.From the "Preference Settings for Outlook..." screen, select the
    topic "Outlook Root Folder" on the left side.
    5.Click on "Select" and choose the folder you want to synchronize
    with. Only the folders specified in bold are available to you. Set the permanent action to synchronize and click finish.
    6. Click OK, OK, and Close and then sync.

At the end of the sync, the Work data will be in Calendar Root. Now follow these steps:

1.Make sure you have synchronized your handheld at least one time
    since installing PocketMirror Professional.
    2.On your PC click "Start/Programs/PocketMirror/PocketMirror
    Settings".
    3.From the "Chapura Settings" screen, select the handheld user
    4.From the "Change Synchronization Preferences" screen, select the
    application you wish to edit (i.e. Outlook Calendar), and click on the "Change" button. Note: At this point if you are prompted to choose a profile, please choose your correct Outlook profile, or if you only have one profile available then choose that one and click "OK".
    5.From the "Preference Settings for Outlook..." screen, select the
    "Categories/Folders" topic on the left side.
    6.Click the "Advanced" button on the bottom right. This will open
    the Category Links Wizard.
    7.Select "New" from the "Category Links" screen and then on the
    "Handheld Category" screen, enter the new handheld category name (This name will show up on the handheld as a separate category and is not required to match the name of the Outlook folder you will be linking too), and click on the "Next" button. At home you will want to call this file "Home"
    8.From the "Synchronization Type" screen, select the desired
    Synchronization Action (synchronize), and click on the "Next" button.
    9.From the "Outlook Folder Selection" screen, select the folder to
    synchronize with, and click on the "Next" button. The folders available will be in bold text and follow the steps to add the folder.
    10.When you finish adding the folder, click on New again. This time
    add the Work Category. When asked for sync type, choose "Handheld
    Only".

Click on the "Finish" button, exit Chapura Settings and synchronize.
    I have read about people wanting to do the same thing in various forums. I'm looking for a way as well. I haven't found a way yet. I was thinking of trying the Desktop Overwrites Handheld option during sync to see if it actually overwrites or just has precedence.
    Thomas

Palm III>Clie665C>Treo755p
    I sync at home and work and the appointments combine on the calendar.
    It is setup as two way sync though. I had problems initially with outlook at work and palm desktop at home. Now that I have both pcs (actually 3 now) with palm desktop, and no problems. However, your personal appointments would appear on your work pc.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by mitche8359 View Post
    I have read about people wanting to do the same thing in various forums. I'm looking for a way as well. I haven't found a way yet. I was thinking of trying the Desktop Overwrites Handheld option during sync to see if it actually overwrites or just has precedence.
    Answer is in this thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...9&postcount=10
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    I sync at home and work and the appointments combine on the calendar.
    It is setup as two way sync though. I had problems initially with outlook at work and palm desktop at home. Now that I have both pcs (actually 3 now) with palm desktop, and no problems. However, your personal appointments would appear on your work pc.
    Cad:

What conduit do you use? Is it a third party sync software item?

Dimi
    Dimi,
    Its the conduit that came with the cd. Also, I hotsync on my laptop and work desktop with a cable and BT hotsync with my home desktop.
    <threads merged and moved>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions