1.    #1  
    I had the following chat with a Palm rep through their website this evening, which might be of interested to some. Bottom line: For what it's worth, the rep claims the MR WILL be released tomorrow and "guarantees" it will fix "all the problems."

We shall see....

user Mike_Elmendorf has entered room

Mike_Elmendorf(Thu May 31 2007 17:26:55 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

Lags, hang ups, resets. I have waited patiently for the promised update. A year later, no update. My device goes out of warranty tomorrow. I have been a loyal Palm customer and user for many years, since the original Palm Pilot. I am VERY disappointed.

analyst Kade has entered room

Kade(Thu May 31 2007 17:27:05 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

Hello Mike_Elmendorf, Thank you for contacting Palm Technical Support. My name is Kade. How may I help you?

Kade(Thu May 31 2007 17:27:14 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

Hello.

Mike_Elmendorf(Thu May 31 2007 17:27:43 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

Hi

Kade(Thu May 31 2007 17:28:09 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

Let me know the make and model of the device.

Mike_Elmendorf(Thu May 31 2007 17:28:43 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

Palm Treo 700p on Sprint.

Kade(Thu May 31 2007 17:29:31 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

I understand for the inconvenience caused to you.

Kade(Thu May 31 2007 17:30:23 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

It will be released in a couple of days.

Mike_Elmendorf(Thu May 31 2007 17:30:51 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

In the meantime, the 755p is out, which is essentially the 700p, working as it should, with a slightly different form factor. Sprint wants me to pay $500 for this. You can certainly understand why I am reluctantly considering ditching Palm after so many years and switching over to Blackberry.

Mike_Elmendorf(Thu May 31 2007 17:31:05 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

We were told a long time ago it would be released this week.

Mike_Elmendorf(Thu May 31 2007 17:31:15 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

It is going to be released over the weekend?

Kade(Thu May 31 2007 17:31:29 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

Yes, you are correct.

Kade(Thu May 31 2007 17:31:48 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

It will be released by this weekend.

Mike_Elmendorf(Thu May 31 2007 17:32:14 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

That seems unusual. And what exactly will the update do?

Mike_Elmendorf(Thu May 31 2007 17:32:20 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

By this weekend--so tomorrow?

Kade(Thu May 31 2007 17:32:33 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

This update will resolve all the issues.

Mike_Elmendorf(Thu May 31 2007 17:33:30 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

What do I do if it does not resolve the issues, since it will be released once my device is out of warranty? To the day, to be exact.

Kade(Thu May 31 2007 17:35:09 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

I guarantee this update will resolve all the issues.

Kade(Thu May 31 2007 17:35:41 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

We have tested several devices at your end.

Mike_Elmendorf(Thu May 31 2007 17:36:17 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

So what should I expect post update?

Kade(Thu May 31 2007 17:36:31 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

Please check in our website to check the updates.

Mike_Elmendorf(Thu May 31 2007 17:37:38 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

Ok, thank you. So I should expect to see this update tomorrow?

Kade(Thu May 31 2007 17:37:24 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

I really appreciate you patience.

Kade(Thu May 31 2007 17:37:34 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

yes.

Mike_Elmendorf(Thu May 31 2007 17:37:59 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

Ok, thank you.

Kade(Thu May 31 2007 17:37:50 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

You are welcome.

Kade(Thu May 31 2007 17:38:02 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

Thank you for contacting Palm Technical Support. Please feel free to contact us for further assistance.

Mike_Elmendorf(Thu May 31 2007 17:38:28 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

Any idea what time tomorrow I should look for it?

Kade(Thu May 31 2007 17:38:06 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

Have a nice day!

Mike_Elmendorf(Thu May 31 2007 17:38:32 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

You too

Kade(Thu May 31 2007 17:39:50 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

You can expect at any time.

Mike_Elmendorf(Thu May 31 2007 17:40:27 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

Ok thanks.

Mike_Elmendorf(Thu May 31 2007 17:40:36 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

Appreciate your insight. Have a good day.
    My god.. why do people insist on badgering these poor support people.. they don't know anything for god's sake..
  3.    #3  
    I don't think it was badgering at all, and it is not unreasonable to ask them questions. It seems to me that might actually be their purpose. And, unlike an earlier post, I was quite polite about it. Thanks for shopping.
    Quote Originally Posted by flipside99 View Post
    My god.. why do people insist on badgering these poor support people.. they don't know anything for god's sake..
    i don't its badgering when its been a year. it sounds to me like word has finally been circulated around palm that the update is finally here....at least that is what i hope.
    Then they should go to their management and say something to the effect of..

"please, give me correct information so that I may provide a tangible support service rather than superficial bull sh!t"
    Well, I guess it's good that they chatted with you, but it's pretty clear that person didn't know anything... "it will resolve all the issues... (now please go away...)"
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Yep, badgering is not. In theory they should know the specifics of:

- what the MR will cover
    - When will be released
    - the process of applying the MR to the 700p
    - Troubleshooting issues caused by the MR is any.

After all their title is Tech support agents. They should be capable of resolving most if not all of the technical issues at hand with the 700p.

In the chat transcript I did not see any sort of badgering. Not even name calling of any sort. Given the timelines Palm has put down for us, it is more than fair for us to go ask the techs what's the hold up about.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Yes it is badgering when its the 10th conversation someone has posted here with a chat rep that didn't know anything. You think one of them is all of sudden going to say "yes it will be posted tomorrow morning at 10:30am EST?" Not going to happen..
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Yes it is badgering when its the 10th conversation someone has posted here with a chat rep that didn't know anything. You think one of them is all of sudden going to say "yes it will be posted tomorrow morning at 10:30am EST?" Not going to happen..
    Unfortunately THAT is exactly what they are supposed to know. Do not excuse Palm's subpar customer support. The MR is an official affair, eveyone knows about it and again, the tech reps should have been instructed in all the details regarding the MR in order to provide support for it if indeed it was being released this week.

If Palm said week of the 28th, logic would tell me they would have prepared everyone involved in the roll out to have a stress-free MR download and install. I can see the techs getting a document listing the bulletpoints on what the MR covers, how to install it, troubleshooting steps etc. The very first item would be "this MR will be rolled out X day". Otherwise how could they help someone that comes to the chat stating they already have the MR installed in their phones if said MR is not out? Don't you agree that is a key part of tech support knowing what is available and when?

I do agree however that, regardless of Palm's lack of seriousness in this matter, that is not excuse for us to loose civility in our communications with Tech support people. We are frustrated people but definitely shoud not vent our frustration at the guys on the other side of the chat. And again, in the original transcript I do not see anything that can be considered rude in any way.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Well said Waldo, right on target. Right now I feel like I am at a Palm user base party playing pin the tail on the donkey. If you can't pin the tail, then you don't get the MR.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    I dont believe it is badgering and I am pretty sure that any of you who are interested in the MR have already gone on palm.com had had the same, or almost the same convo. Its actually nice to get different convos and see what they think/know (its also humorous).
    Waldo, I completely agree with you that they *should" know whats going on. I'm as frustrated (or was) as the rest of you. But over the last few days its become painfully obvious that they know nothing. I've gone as far as taking the steps to jump ship (My AT&T 8525 will be here tomorrow).

I've have the same complaints and frustrations as everyone else. I've had this frikkin thing a year and still can't make a decent BT call with 7 different headsets. The only app i have installed is google maps and the lag is insane for a $600 phone.

I'll see what 30 days with AT&T & WM brings me but I have a feeling I won't be back.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    ...I can see the techs getting a document listing the bulletpoints on what the MR covers, how to install it, troubleshooting steps etc. The very first item would be "this MR will be rolled out X day"....
    LOL - That's a great idea! Contact tech support and tell them you have the MR but you're not sure how to go about installing it. They'll say, "But the MR isn't out yet." You respond, "Hmm...well I have it here. It's the MR! So it must be out. What date does it say it's supposed to be out?"

Now the thing is, and I know this from having worked tech support, TS agents aren't supposed to give hard dates because that's basically making a promise you can't keep. That said, I'll bet you $20 you get someone to slip up this way and give the real date - if they know it.

It's not so much that I care, as I like thinking of weird ways to screw with people.
    Waldo, I completely agree with you that they *should" know whats going on. I'm as frustrated (or was) as the rest of you. But over the last few days its become painfully obvious that they know nothing. I've gone as far as taking the steps to jump ship (My AT&T 8525 will be here tomorrow).

I've have the same complaints and frustrations as everyone else. I've had this frikkin thing a year and still can't make a decent BT call with 7 different headsets. The only app i have installed is google maps and the lag is insane for a $600 phone.

I'll see what 30 days with AT&T & WM brings me but I have a feeling I won't be back.
    buddy just picked up the 8525 and switched from verizon because his company was having too many issues with the 700 series, both palm and wm os's.