1.    #1  
    I just purchased USB modem for my macbook pro, first thing I did was a speedtest, through speakeasy.net/speedtest WOW, 868 down, and 117 upload, that is almost as fast as basic dsl that we have at work, faster then a lot of starbucks, and hotel internet connections. With my treo 650 and sprint power vision, I was lucky and somewhat happy when the speeds reached 150
    Last edited by woodbutcher; 05/31/2007 at 11:29 AM.
    I haven't gotten that kind of speed yet. I used some of the dslreports.com tests while using USBModem and only got about 400 kbps down, over 100 kbps up. I don't have the greatest reception in my house though, so that might be part of it.

I just did a mobile speed test on dslreports.com from Blazer and I'm getting around 200 kbps down. Hmmm...
    Thanks for the PM info on this woodbutcher. Do I need a separate data plan, like PAM, to use this? What is the advantage of using this over BT DUN, aside from speed?
    Quote Originally Posted by michelle View Post
    Thanks for the PM info on this woodbutcher. Do I need a separate data plan, like PAM, to use this? What is the advantage of using this over BT DUN, aside from speed?
    You don't need a PAM plan, and that's the point. USBModem and PDANet get around PAM by making it look as though you're not tethering at all.
    thanks. will calls go through when tethering?
  6.    #6  
    yes, when you get a call, it rings through, without disconnecting you from the net, and when you hang up, it is like nothing changed
    BT is more of a convience , no need to carry a cord
    that is awesome. I'm sold. going to use it on my mac....

edit: HOLY WOW. i am using the tethered connection right now and it was SO EASY to connect. I am thrilled! thanks so much!

also, when the phone rings, i assume you have to be tethered to the cord to talk on it, else the EVDO connection will break if you disconnect it? no worries, i think this is such a great app anyway.

i am a happy mac girl. too bad this app doesn't support BT DUN just yet...i will wait!...but i love the benefit of charging the treo simultaneously as well

i am almost tempted to cancel my data card/plan. can anyone tell me if this method can substitute for that (pc data card + data plan). if so, man, i'd love to save an extra $60 a month...
    Last edited by michelle; 06/12/2007 at 02:43 PM.
  8. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts

edit: HOLY WOW. i am using the tethered connection right now and it was SO EASY to connect. I am thrilled! thanks so much!

also, when the phone rings, i assume you have to be tethered to the cord to talk on it, else the EVDO connection will break if you disconnect it? no worries, i think this is such a great app anyway.

i am a happy mac girl. too bad this app doesn't support BT DUN just yet...i will wait!...but i love the benefit of charging the treo simultaneously as well

i am almost tempted to cancel my data card/plan. can anyone tell me if this method can substitute for that (pc data card + data plan). if so, man, i'd love to save an extra $60 a month...
    only if you dont use alot of bandwith, if your just checkin a few emails here and there or browsin the web a ltitle, you'll be fin
    but i heard if you go over 5gb you'll be tagged n skrewed
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    May I ask where you got this usb modem..brand?. I just switched to a Macbook Pro, from a PC. Already was in need to use my Treo to get online.
    http://www.mobile-stream.com/usbmodem.html

Windows, Mac, and Linux support.
    Quote Originally Posted by d94 View Post
    only if you dont use alot of bandwith, if your just checkin a few emails here and there or browsin the web a ltitle, you'll be fin
    but i heard if you go over 5gb you'll be tagged n skrewed
    We all have sprint not verizon. Its the verizon guys that get screwed for going over 5 gigs.

If you do the free hack you can use the BT DUN. but of course USB is about twice as fast as the BT. But the BT is nice since you dont have to carry around a cable.