Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1.    #1  
    this company has fallen off and its time for me to figure out what good software there is for a blackberry, or to see if cingular will let me get my hands on an iphone. my 700p does make a good paperweight though and with the constant soft resets i have to do it could double as an alarm clock.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by DigiPimp View Post
    this company has fallen off and its time for me to figure out what good software there is for a blackberry, or to see if cingular will let me get my hands on an iphone. my 700p does make a good paperweight though and with the constant soft resets i have to do it could double as an alarm clock.

    Mine did the loop last night and of course I did not have the file I needed to read my sd card. So I will use a different card to get that file back on main memory. I am going to start to look at the BB.
  3. fondoo's Avatar
    Posts
    200 Posts
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    #3  
    i dont see myself carrying a foleo. i mean i already carry a notebook, 700p, and sometimes my nokia n800 internet tablet. do i really want to carry a foleo????.....nope!
  4. haroldo's Avatar
    Posts
    435 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    #4  
    Foleo (plenty of discussions in the other forum) is not a consumer oriented product. It is designed for business people, not soccer moms (like the iPhone seems to be)...IMHO.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by fondoo View Post
    i dont see myself carrying a foleo. i mean i already carry a notebook, 700p, and sometimes my nokia n800 internet tablet. do i really want to carry a foleo????.....nope!
    no one is going to be carrying one, you can get a thin notebook or something to do alot more. what do you need to carry an extra product that size for just to work with your phone.
  6. #6  
    Last thing I want is some new piece of hardware from Palm. I'm already stuck with my p.o.s. 700p without support.

    Is there an application that would perform the same functions as a foleo except using a laptop/notebook or desktop while tethered?
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by haroldo View Post
    Foleo (plenty of discussions in the other forum) is not a consumer oriented product. It is designed for business people, not soccer moms (like the iPhone seems to be)...IMHO.
    Acutally, I see the "soccer mom" demographic to be more appropriate for this device....in time.

    Think about it....most people in this catagory read/reply to emails, browse/shop at online retail sites, google a thing or two on what cough or cold remendy to use for the kids, a recipie for tonight's dinner and maybe bid on a eBay auction or two for that "Handy Chopper" they just saw on TV.

    Now, do you really need 17" widescreen Vista Media Center PC laptop or 30" LCD Decktop PC with a multiple cores, 16x DVD bruner, built-in TV Tuner that can compile C++ routines in 3 seconds flat? Dell and HP have done a good job convicing everyone that they need such sophistication. All that the majority of people needs is exactly something like this and it will be the trend in the years to come as user-driven/contorled content matures and evolves (aka "Web 2.0").
    Last edited by MilenkoD; 05/31/2007 at 10:46 AM.
  8. #8  
    ^I disagree. Most soccer moms take pictures, not to mention videos. Can the Foleo manipulate these 8 to 10 Mpixel images as fast as a dual core laptop that costs only $100 more?

    I agree it is more a business tool - but I wouldn't get one. I already have my treo paired with my laptop. Thanks anyway Palm.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  9. #9  
    This product looks like it is marketed at certain middle to upper management types, and CEO's. The type that IT dept. staff know can hardly compute their way out of a paper bag, but still need access to the web, e-mail, contacts, and tasks, and want to "look cool" by appearing to have mastered at least one technical gizmo. This is the type that the IT department gives a Blackberry or a Motorola Q to because they can't do too much damage with it (or to it).
    The IT dept would rather not support a full computer for someone who has to be bailed out often when using one. So this may be the niche that product is supposed to fill.

    Whether the device can actually do that well is another question entirely. It's definitely not for power users.
  10. leonidm's Avatar
    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    #10  
    I love my treo, but 500$ laptop that isn't really a laptop - forget about it
  11. #11  
    Boy, I cant wait for that linux Treo! (Dont pinch me, I dont want to wake up!)
  12. #12  
    As a business user, I think there may be a niche for this device. But I think it's a small niche. If you could do most of your work with a 2lb 5hr Folio on the road with instant on. Why carry a 7lb+charger laptop. My business laptop is 9x11x1 and weighs 2.7lbs. It's old and it takes about 4 minutes to boot. A replacement would costs $1500-$2000. If a folio is lighter, smaller and can run many palm apps, then it might be worth $500.

    In the future when Palms will run faster and have more function, the folio might even be more useful. On the other hand, if you can't run existing Palm apps on the bigger screen/keyboard, nobody will want to buy it and no developer will want to develop for it.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by sysmg View Post
    In the future when Palms will run faster and have more function, the folio might even be more useful. On the other hand, if you can't run existing Palm apps on the bigger screen/keyboard, nobody will want to buy it and no developer will want to develop for it.
    Yesterday, I wasn't much for the Foleo, but the more I think about it, the more the device is growing on me. My first thought was: It looks like a laptop... However, after some thought, I see a real nitch for this thing in the business community.

    Remember, this thing is running Linux under the hood, not Palm OS. In fact, there is no mention, that I can see, of traditional palm other than the instant on. Granted, this thing is running with fairly low end hardware compared to a typical notebook, but *nix is known for running on lean hardware. There are thousands and thousands of apps out there that could concievably be ported to the Foleo.

    The one app that pops in my head is a Thin Client. There are several free Thin Clients out there for *nix. Think about it... With this little guy, you could have the power of a dual core, highend, workstation at your finger tips when ever you need it, and for only $500. Further, the interface looks so easy to use -- very Palm Zen like...

    Think about the business traveler that doesn't need a full blown OS on a notebook computer. Maybe all they need is email, web, and the ability to create and modify documents. This thing is perfect for that and so simple. Again, with a thin client, a person could also remote in and have access to any desktop OS.

    I think we're only scratching the surface of how this device could be used... It really is a unique device. Give it some time for people to chew on it, use it, and come up with solutions using it.

    Greg
  14. #14  
    If I can also watch movies on it, I would leave this laptop at home instead of dragging it along on these business trips. I usually only use it for movies, take some notes, and power point presentations. If the Foleo can do this at a significantly lighter weight and smaller size, I will get one.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    If I can also watch movies on it, I would leave this laptop at home instead of dragging it along on these business trips. I usually only use it for movies, take some notes, and power point presentations. If the Foleo can do this at a significantly lighter weight and smaller size, I will get one.
    It surely can display movies. My treo can display them, so this thing should be able to. At this point, it seems to lack a DVD drive, but it will accept memory cards.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by haroldo View Post
    Foleo (plenty of discussions in the other forum) is not a consumer oriented product. It is designed for business people, not soccer moms (like the iPhone seems to be)...IMHO.
    I don't see businesses large or small moving in the direction of wanting to support a non windows device. IMO even RIM is going to be history sometime soon unless they start making WM devices.
  17. #17  
    If it can't play youtube files smoothly I'm pretty sure it can't play full screen movies smoothly as well . Sadly it seems the first gen foleo won't be good to watch movies on.
  18. #18  
    Originally this seemed like a pretty limited device to me too, and I still think that the odds are that it will be a moderate to complete failure. However, when you honestly consider the market they are going after it does stand a chance.

    This is going after business users, and by business users I don't mean the prosumer web developer in the office, I'm talking about the managers and executives and sales people in the office who may wind up using computers all day to get their work done but are mostly not that technically oriented. Most of these people just want to check email, do some excel, maybe type up a quick document and then be on their way. With traditional PCs they'd have to deal with all of the quirks inherent in the complexity of the device as well as bootup time, viruses, spyware, malware, etc. If there was a relatively cheap device out there (cheap when compared to subcompacts) to just get the job done, I don't think most execs would really care what it can or can't do beyond these core functions if they never really did much else on their laptop in the first place. Also keep in mind that the IT staff may start to really like these too if it means they don't have to keep spending hours of their time fixing the laptops these managers and execs (or their families) mess up.

    It could also appeal to the 'soccer mom' audience who doesn't know that their 3 month old Dell takes 15 minutes to boot not because of any fault of its own but because of all of the spyware and other crap they accidentally got on there. Instead they'll just see that this thing "works" quickly and without hassles.

    So I think some level of success is possible with this device, it's just a matter of seeing whether it can find it's market (or it's market can find it).
  19. llarson's Avatar
    Posts
    257 Posts
    Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by ajabbari View Post
    Originally this seemed like a pretty limited device to me too, and I still think that the odds are that it will be a moderate to complete failure. However, when you honestly consider the market they are going after it does stand a chance.

    This is going after business users, and by business users I don't mean the prosumer web developer in the office, I'm talking about the managers and executives and sales people in the office who may wind up using computers all day to get their work done but are mostly not that technically oriented. Most of these people just want to check email, do some excel, maybe type up a quick document and then be on their way. With traditional PCs they'd have to deal with all of the quirks inherent in the complexity of the device as well as bootup time, viruses, spyware, malware, etc. If there was a relatively cheap device out there (cheap when compared to subcompacts) to just get the job done, I don't think most execs would really care what it can or can't do beyond these core functions if they never really did much else on their laptop in the first place. Also keep in mind that the IT staff may start to really like these too if it means they don't have to keep spending hours of their time fixing the laptops these managers and execs (or their families) mess up.

    It could also appeal to the 'soccer mom' audience who doesn't know that their 3 month old Dell takes 15 minutes to boot not because of any fault of its own but because of all of the spyware and other crap they accidentally got on there. Instead they'll just see that this thing "works" quickly and without hassles.

    So I think some level of success is possible with this device, it's just a matter of seeing whether it can find it's market (or it's market can find it).

    For people who don't want or need all the bells and whistles from a full blown laptop. Didn't work for Apple and I don't see it working here.

    First time on the road and a business person can't get something by using the Foleo and they needed the laptop will be the last time they take the Foleo.
    LLARSON
    Treo 600, 650,700P, 755P and iPHONE
  20. #20  
    I am a business user. A cpa who lugs a laptop everywhere on engagements.

    I can't see any use for this foleo. Instant on? It's not a big deal. Can i install specific windows based programs?

    But wait, they market it as a companion for your Treo. That's my laptop. And as most firms use windows based programs with "paperless" software packages installed, this won't cut it.

    Bottom line, it's not revolutionary. It's a big yawn. They should've canceled this idea long ago. Wake up Palm.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions