Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Right now I have my 755p runing mobileClock. The LED says fully charged. The battery percentage is 99% and the battery voltage is reading 4.20V.

It's my thinking at this point that the percentage is calculated by the battery chip and it's a rough guideline. I'm thinking that the precision of the percentage isn't all that great, and I've decided that I'm not going to concern myself with it.

The charging circuit itself uses the battery voltage to determine when the battery is fully charged.

So. Hope that helps. :-)

Tom
    Things that make you go hmmmm Treo. So far no one is getting 100% when coming off the charger. Something is definitely up with this and it may have something to do with shortening the battery life.
    Tom, Zlauncher also lets me see the voltage. I am pretty sure the highest mine is off the cradle is 4.19. The reason I think this all may matter is that with the TX it stays at 100% for 30-40 minutes before it starts dropping- that would seem to add battery time. As the battery gets lower it seems to drop faster with the TX. I have seen that also with the Treo. That says to me that we are not getting that extra battery time boost that you get off 100%. Does this make sense?
    Actually, no. :-)

To really know what's going on, you need to set the devices such that they're drawing about the same amount of current, and then plot the battery voltage with respect to time. Then you'll have real-life data to really say what's going on.

Interestingly enough, my Powerbook "Pismo" is showing a fully-charged battery at 99% as well.

Like I said, I'm not going to get too caught up in percentage of one or two percent here or there. Real-world capacity doing things I do in my daily life is what's going to matter to me.

Now, if some of you who talk to much (a joke, ow, stop hitting!) run the battery down in the course of a day when your same habits didn't nearly do the same on the 650, I'm thinking that the battery itself might have issues and it's worth checking out. The capacities are too close for there to be significant differences.

Me, I have two extra batteries for the 650. I'm sorry they couldn't find a way to use the same battery. :-)

Tom
    First of all. Don't deep discharge a lithium ion battery if you can help it. It's not good for it. But often you can't help it if you've just run the battery down using it.
    4 recgarges of 25% (from 75% full) is equivalent to 1 full recharge.
    It took at least 3 weeks for my 750 to reach optimal battery life. so don't judge your battery life in the first 2 weeks.
    First day my 750 had about 4 hours, now it's up to a full day +.

My wife's 680 is 2 days with little use, about 1 with moderate to heavy use. She barely uses data though.
    Just thoug I'd post this info for comparison. I know this is about the 755p.
    Good points, all!

Tom
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    First of all. Don't deep discharge a lithium ion battery if you can help it. It's not good for it. But often you can't help it if you've just run the battery down using it.
    4 recgarges of 25% (from 75% full) is equivalent to 1 full recharge.
    It took at least 3 weeks for my 750 to reach optimal battery life. so don't judge your battery life in the first 2 weeks.
    First day my 750 had about 4 hours, now it's up to a full day +.

My wife's 680 is 2 days with little use, about 1 with moderate to heavy use. She barely uses data though.
    Just thoug I'd post this info for comparison. I know this is about the 755p.
    what are you saying, that the battery will get better after "broken in"?
    don't let it run all the way down??
    I hope you are right and it does get better, if not, the hated extended battery and extended door will be purchased.. but there's nothing worse than an already big phone in your pocket getting bigger lmao.
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*
    Yes, lithium Ion batteries get better after being broken in. This true for ALL phones these days. People aways complain of battery life on brand new phones but notice an improvement after a few weeks.

These batteries like to stay topped off and charged frequently vs. the old type that like to be fully discharged. You're not going to hurt it much if you do have to run it down, but don't do so intentionally as it breaks down the battery.
    Much like a car battery in this respect.
    My 650's battery is going strong after 2 years with many many full discharges.
    Actually, even when you get to 0% on a Treo there's still about 8% actual charge (a reserve.) So 10% is really like 17% or so. So you never really discharge it as much as you think you are.

It will take at least 2 full cycles to get any decent life and should continue to improve. At 1-2 months you'll be at peak performance.
    taylor, glad to hear things improved for you. I have been told that it is not good to deep discharge a Li-ion battery as well, but that you need to condition it by deep discharging for 3-4 cycles. I have to admit I have done 2 deep discharges and 2 in cradle resets and don't see much change yet.
    I was reading the Palm knowledge base. That in-cradle reset doesn't appy to the 755p.

Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    Yes, lithium Ion batteries get better after being broken in. This true for ALL phones these days. People aways complain of battery life on brand new phones but notice an improvement after a few weeks.
    I agree with taylorh. I have a noticable improvemnent in the % battery I have left at the end of the day when I go to charge the phone.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Hey 755p people! I have a 680, and many 680s have the same problem with charging never reaching 99% after pulling the charger.

Check 680 threads on Batteries.

This is how I got mine to read 99%. Mine use to only show 98% max.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=144094
    Tom where does it say it does not apply to the 755P? Is it possible they just have not updated to include it?
    Interesting chenling. Our phones don't have sim cards though. I have done the deep discharge, soft reset twice now with no joy. If I understand you right, you charged till green, then took out the battery, and then put it back in where it showed red and then it charged till it went green leaving out the sim card. Not sure if that technique minus the sim card would work for this phone but it might be worth a try. Like you it bugs me this won't go over 98%.
    My battery life is good also but coming from the Moto Q I am probably not a good judge...I do love this phone
    Quote Originally Posted by chenling View Post
    Hey 755p people! I have a 680, and many 680s have the same problem with charging never reaching 99% after pulling the charger.

Check 680 threads on Batteries.

This is how I got mine to read 99%. Mine use to only show 98% max.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=144094
    This makes sense! No wonder when I took my battery out and put it back in, it stays at 99%!

I'll definitely try this again next time I fully discharge and recharge...will report back....

-t
    Treo 700p -->> 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathearder View Post
    Tom where does it say it does not apply to the 755P? Is it possible they just have not updated to include it?
    http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...1,case=obj(887)

Anything is possible, but considering that you reset the 755p by removing the battery, doing that when it's in the cradle means that it's running from outside power for a while.

Like I said, I've decided that a few percent reading isn't going to bother me. I had the reading at 100% and 4.19V... and an error of 0.01V in an expensive lab meter is to be expected! The circuitry in the Treo isn't nearly as sophisticated.

Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathearder View Post
    taylor, glad to hear things improved for you. I have been told that it is not good to deep discharge a Li-ion battery as well, but that you need to condition it by deep discharging for 3-4 cycles. I have to admit I have done 2 deep discharges and 2 in cradle resets and don't see much change yet.
    I'm not sure that's necessary. But it is a good way to get the conditioning "over with."
    If you let it drain to 75% and recharged it to 100% 4 times, that would be the equivalent to letting it drain to 0% and recharing it once.
    But the first few times I always let it go pretty low just to make sure the whole thing is excercised (and becaue the battery just doesn't hold up very long, so unintentionally) and never killed my battery.
    So I don't think it would hurt if you did it. I just wouldn't go all the way to 0. Maybe stop it at about 20% and recharge it.
    The battery meter is skewed to allow for about 8% reserve. At least I believe they still do this. More of a throw back to pre non-volitile memory days.
    So 0% on the meter is about 8% actual battery charge.
    20% would be like 23% actual or so.

I'm just going on what I've heard also and picked up from articles on the internet. I'm no battery expert.
    Tom I got an error page when I followed that link.

Taylor, the lowest I have gone is 9%. Did that twice, and 23% once. I don't think I am gonna go that low again unless it happens naturally, rather than me forcing it. The good thing about the Treo, unlike my TX, is that the battery is replaceable and not too expensive. I have ordered a second battery from Boxwave, and am curious to see how it performs. I am not an expert either, but I do love to solve mysteries.
    it improve for me as well, after 4 days of bad battery, It has lasted me all day and some and about 50% remaining some times.

Treo 755p.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast