Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The subject says it all those are the two features this noobie treo owner is looking for
    The best Bluetooth GPS receiver for Treos is probably the Globalsat BT-359.

For a cheaper alternative, you could go with the Holux 236, which is about half the price and works very well with the Treo also.

The problem with the 236 for me is that its pretty slow in getting its first fix, I don't know if the BT359 is better with that. (I also live in a city and you need good reception for the first fix, that probably doesn't help.)

(I have the 700p, but I assume its the same for the 755p.)
    I'm interested in the RSS Feed viewer as well, I've tried a bunch of them in the last 5 days and I have stuck with QuickNews, but still not happy with it. My qualifications are I would like something that can auto-update, does not activate the screen when auto-syncing, and can auto-sync in the background (So far the Apps I've used take over the Treo).

The Apps that I have tried are QuickNews, Neeews!, Top Story, Smaato, mRSS, and a few others...
    Neeews! is my take for RSS Feed viewer. Don't use GPS because sadly, I'm not a traveler >.<
  5.    #5  
    So if I buy a wireless Bluetooth gps receiver what do i use for my navigation? I saw someone mention google maps but when i open that i dont see any GPS options.
    Having tried all of the above, I still keep with QuickNews. The best way to approach it is to try each one. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by MaynardLD50 View Post
    So if I buy a wireless Bluetooth gps receiver what do i use for my navigation? I saw someone mention google maps but when i open that i dont see any GPS options.
    As I said before in your other thread, your choices for GPS navigation are Telenav, which is a $10 monthly fee, and requires a data connection to do it, but the maps are always as up to date as possible and apparently includes text-to-speech for street names, or TomTom, which is a one-time fee, but doesn't include any map updates.
  8. db2
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    As I said before in your other thread, your choices for GPS navigation are Telenav, which is a $10 monthly fee, and requires a data connection to do it, but the maps are always as up to date as possible and apparently includes text-to-speech for street names, or TomTom, which is a one-time fee, but doesn't include any map updates.
    Will Treo's be compatible with Google maps GPS in the future? If so, all we would need is the GPS receiver correct?
    I suggest saving some money and just getting the BT-338, I have that along with TomTom6 (best mapping software for the treo) and it works great. I really dont see how much more accurate the new model could be since they both have the same chipset just one uses less power.

Google maps as of now does not support GPS on the treo yet. But you can download an application "where am I" and it takes the coordinates from the GPS unit and automatically puts them into google maps, problem is you have to quit google maps then open "where am I" and click "get" every time you move location.

You can find the BT-338 and TomTom 6 as a bundle package here and on other sites, I recommend it. The only thing is TomTom has not been updated for the 755p and I am not 100% clear if it works fully without glitches like it does on the 700p.
    BT-359 and QuickNews for me.
    I haven't tried any GPS yet, but I'm currently trying out RSS readers. I like Neeews! so far. I didn't care as much for the cluttered feel of Quick News in comparison. The free ones supported by ads are too cluttered with fluff and clutter around the actual text.
    Iambic just came out with Top Story (RSS reader)

http://www.iambic.com/topstory/palmos/default.asp
    Cool topic. I haven't used Toystory. But I hear it also is ad cluttlered. Quicknews runs to slow for me.
    smileyboy I am finding Quicknews to be not user friendly, and slow as well. It gave me my 2 soft resets, the only ones I have had.
    Last edited by Cathearder; 06/01/2007 at 01:48 PM. Reason: spelling
    Seems to me like QN is in need of a update soon.
    Agreed. I am thinking of trying Resco News.
    Resets? Send a note to the developer - he is exceedingly quick at fixes also cruise the site for the latest beta.

Ben
    Thanks bclinger will do that.
    I still have Avantgo loaded, but because it is not automated it now sucks. I used Quicknew for years and would have continue to do so had Resco Neeews had not been released.

Aside from being able to create custom newspapers that can update automatically, I can test any feed before adding them to the newspaper. These neat thing is that you don't have pick only from a list provided by the developer, you can search for any rss feed or enter the rss url manually.

I can download podcasts automatically and set the podcast newspaper to download only the lastest podcast from each podcast site.

There coolest thing besided being able to listen to a podcast while it is downloading or read articles as the feeds are still downloading, is the ability to use google. mobileleap or squeezer when to launch a story on the browser. This allows me to read the whole stories with missing a beat or trying view a page designed for a desktop on the Treo.

You can save everything to the miniSD card.

There are more but would be writing a book.

Finally www.google.com/reader works well if using a browser is fine for you. It allows you to use the numeric keys and * and # to quickly navigate through the feeds. You can even mark stories as read so they disappear from the list (something you wouldn't expect from a browser based solution)
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    The concept of "newspapers" is just another added layer to go through. Your statement about "you don't have pick only from a list developed" is a bit off also - the list in QuickNews is rather extensive compared to that in most other applications and it can be very easily added to. I have added 20 or so feeds and get about 40 a day. It also is capable of saving to the card.

In another quote, as far as speed - look at your settings.

As for support - QuickNews is very good as is Resco's support.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by godschoice View Post
    I still have Avantgo loaded, but because it is not automated it now sucks. I used Quicknew for years and would have continue to do so had Resco Neeews had not been released.

Aside from being able to create custom newspapers that can update automatically, I can test any feed before adding them to the newspaper. These neat thing is that you don't have pick only from a list provided by the developer, you can search for any rss feed or enter the rss url manually.

I can download podcasts automatically and set the podcast newspaper to download only the lastest podcast from each podcast site.

There coolest thing besided being able to listen to a podcast while it is downloading or read articles as the feeds are still downloading, is the ability to use google. mobileleap or squeezer when to launch a story on the browser. This allows me to read the whole stories with missing a beat or trying view a page designed for a desktop on the Treo.

You can save everything to the miniSD card.

There are more but would be writing a book.

Finally www.google.com/reader works well if using a browser is fine for you. It allows you to use the numeric keys and * and # to quickly navigate through the feeds. You can even mark stories as read so they disappear from the list (something you wouldn't expect from a browser based solution)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast