Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. jps
    The Foleo is great and all, hell I am even intrigued enough to shell out the $$$$ for one, but you are missing the big picture...

No one will buy a Foleo if we all chuck, ebay, or sell our current 700p because you will not release the MR for it. You should STRONGLY consider taking care of your current and existing customer base - we are an asset to you, least you forgot that one small detail.

Advancing new products, and servicing other products, before addressing fundamental flaws in a product barely a year old (read: the 700p) is not the way to grow customer loyalty/satisfaction.
    :: Verizon Treo 650 w/o Camera
    :: Hardware Rev B
    :: Current Update: 1.05A
    :: Custom ROM: -BigSur -BT -Camera -FATFS -Handango -Hidden -Languages -Pixer -RealPlayer -Tips -Tutorials -VideoAccess -World Clock -Welcome -WirelessSync +Datebook (700p) +FAT32 +Memo (700p) +PowerPrferences (700p) +ToDo (700p)
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    another threat...

quick stop the presses...

Palm pulls their new product from the "All Things Digital" convention due to pressure from TreoCentral forums. Chairman says "...we need to fix the 700p first to make those guys at TC happy before we innovate...".
    He is correct, though. How are we supposed to use a Foleo (assuming we get one) with no reliable BT and laggy web and email?
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I think this is a horrible idea, I already have a laptop that can do much, much more, then this poc...wheres the new all in one device?
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    I think what's more depressing is that Palm has been using its resources for developing disappointing products like the Foleo, instead of fixing the 700p.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I was about to trade my PPC-6700 for a 700p and go back into the Palm universe (Used to have a Treo 300, awesome phone) but this bull about the 680 getting updates and the Foleo being released shows us that Palm has other priorities than its loyal followers.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I would go for the folio because of the instant on. However without a full featured web browser or real word processing (doc 2 go doesn't cut it) no sale. I would rather spend more and buy a regular subcompact notebook.

Also of course because Palm support regarding MR has been terrible.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Its funny.. without reading too much into this. here are my 2 cents.

So if I buy this and start installing software how often is it going to reset. How will I do a hard reset? How long will I have to wait for a "Maintenance Release".

Ive only had my Treo 700p since November but I can't imagine all the people before me who've been waiting for these issues to be fixed. I agree with OP (Original Poster), you gotta take care of your customer base unless like all hardware life cycles you are looking to recycle your customer base too from time to time.

2days to go.. isnt that when the 700p owners are waiting for this mythical 700p MR? Time will tell

__________ Update _____________

Found this which I thought was really funny and interesting:
    http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/...ap3770761.html
    Last edited by ncc1701p; 05/30/2007 at 05:41 PM. Reason: update
    Quote Originally Posted by ceebz View Post
    I think what's more depressing is that Palm has been using its resources for developing disappointing products like the Foleo, instead of fixing the 700p.
    Not to correct you but its not instead of FIXING the T700P its instead of DEVELOPING the T700P correctly.

The Foleo has been in development for as long or longer than the 700P has been.

Its dissappointing that theyve allocated these resources to come up with a lameo (sorry couldnt resist) product like this.

I also concur with the sentiment of the above post concerning having workable products that will pair with the Foleo. So without the 700P's MR the Foleo is a dead duck.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    A lot of people are ticked over the 700P and it's failures. Sometime anger can make you fail to see the forest for the trees. I see this as a sign that they have found a different path to fix the device problems AND create a new market.
    I still keep thinking about the fact that most polls on TC still indicate the critical mass of users are happy with the 700p, and we aren't even representative of the public at large.

There's no reason for Palm to see the sky as falling, because the data doesn't support it.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    I have few problems with mine. P Tunes stutters and putters when an email comes in. Phone app can slow to a stop. Have no problems with my Motorola bt headset though. I just keep the phone basic(which suits my needs), and have few problems.
    Matty
    Same here. I might install it, but I'm not jumping in first, that's for sure. Mine does what I ask. Except for the Ptunes thing, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I still keep thinking about the fact that most polls on TC still indicate the critical mass of users are happy with the 700p, and we aren't even representative of the public at large.

There's no reason for Palm to see the sky as falling, because the data doesn't support it.
    You must be kidding ...right? Are we looking at the same data? I doubt it. IMO, Palm is not ignoring this issue. There SIMPLY is not a SERVICE PROVIDER approved fix yet.

Fact is the Sapís run the show, and if they have not approved the MR , it will sit un delivered. There is nothing in it this for any SP . Let me clear, there is NO WIRELESS service provider that cares if you switch service because of your lousy Palm Treo 700 P.

In fact they encourage this behavior, itís how they are making money. Although, Gary Foresee of Sprint is under the gun to stop the bleeding of base customers, but they are the only one under lost subscriber pressure. Wall Street looks at how many new contracts are signed and how many lost subscribers there have been in a respective quarter. As long as the new contracts is always on the increase, the financial analysts are happy and the stock moves upward.

If we break a Service Provider contract guess what... it's 150 bucks or more. If we buy a new phone before 2 years - no discount, they win again. If you sign a new contract with another carrier, whoa, they win again. And this cycle continues. Whoís fooling who? This is not in Palms total control to fix. Follow the money, you will always find the answer. Why else can we not seamlessly switch from WI FI coverage using the local off cell network resources and use the Public Cell network for off campus calling? MINUTES and DOLLARS. The phone builders are not in control of this.
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    Foleo Smoleo

Not interested in the least!
    funny how people are dissing this new foleo and it isn't even out yet. if there is no extra charge for bluetoothing your cell to access the web on foleo...they have something. it would be much cheaper to buy a foleo than paying $50 a month for a laptop access.
    Quote Originally Posted by waterfrontmgmt View Post
    it would be much cheaper to buy a foleo than paying $50 a month for a laptop access.
    Cheaper again to use my existing laptop with dialup on the Treo!
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    I think this is a horrible idea, I already have a laptop that can do much, much more, then this poc...wheres the new all in one device?
    This is what I was thinking... I can't see who would buy this thing. Why would I, as a business person, have this and a laptop? My laptop can do everything the Foleo can do and much more. Why do I need it? I have been packing a laptop for 12 years or so and will do so until I retire. I need a mobile desktop and this new Palm device is no where near that. I honestly could never see myself buying a foleo. If Palm would have come out with a product that is something new and on-par with the competition, then we'd have something to talk about. This thing is a Joke.

Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickC5 View Post
    You must be kidding ...right? Are we looking at the same data? I doubt it. IMO, Palm is not ignoring this issue. There SIMPLY is not a SERVICE PROVIDER approved fix yet.

Fact is the Sap’s run the show, and if they have not approved the MR , it will sit un delivered. There is nothing in it this for any SP . Let me clear, there is NO WIRELESS service provider that cares if you switch service because of your lousy Palm Treo 700 P.

In fact they encourage this behavior, it’s how they are making money. Although, Gary Foresee of Sprint is under the gun to stop the bleeding of base customers, but they are the only one under lost subscriber pressure. Wall Street looks at how many new contracts are signed and how many lost subscribers there have been in a respective quarter. As long as the new contracts is always on the increase, the financial analysts are happy and the stock moves upward.

If we break a Service Provider contract guess what... it's 150 bucks or more. If we buy a new phone before 2 years - no discount, they win again. If you sign a new contract with another carrier, whoa, they win again. And this cycle continues. Who’s fooling who? This is not in Palms total control to fix. Follow the money, you will always find the answer. Why else can we not seamlessly switch from WI FI coverage using the local off cell network resources and use the Public Cell network for off campus calling? MINUTES and DOLLARS. The phone builders are not in control of this.

Keep in mind that wireless providers also measure churn, not just net ads. Wall street looks at both. Also keep in mind that wireless providers subsidize phone costs as an incentive to attract users to their network. When you see "phone deals" and a contract attached with it, this is normally what's taking place in the background. In order for providers to break even on the offer, it typically takes about about 12-18 months. ARPU or average revenue per user is another valuable metric used in the industry. The expectation from all wireless carriers is to increase ARPU by insuring you're up time experience is optimized and the network is solid, including devices. These factors, along with a few others, all contribute to better understand customer experience and customer satisfaction. Finally, while carriers test and approve builds on handsets to insure network compatiblity, the responsibility is that of the manufacturers, who build to 3GPP/3GPP2 standards, and address software, firmware, and driver-related issues for a given device.
    Last edited by contempl8; 05/30/2007 at 09:04 PM.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    the mr will probably come out the day the i phone is released
    :-)
    bl
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast