1.    #1  
    I noticed after a hard reset of my 680 that the device runs much faster, even after I reloaded back my apps. This implies to me that there is some sort of memory fragmentation over time that drags on performance.

1) Is this true? Does performance degrade over time from fragmentation?

2) If true, is there an app that can defragment instead of doing a hard reset? Reloading everything is a bit tedious.
    The DB cache does become fragmented as applications are loaded/cleared, et cetera and can become corrupted enough to keep the device from properly operating. A soft reset clears the DB cache and then the device reloads the boot up programs. Executing a DB cache flush does much the same but does not load up the boot up programs.

Ben
    With flash memory, I thought that defragmentation was not a concern. On hard drives its a concern because the drive has to physically jump around on fragmented files. On flash memory, there are no moving parts so fragmentation shouldn't be that much of an issue should it?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    It is caused by the inefficient use of the DB cache - notice the more it gets used the lower the free memory and eventually it causes a soft reset. Applications such as Reset Doctor monitor the amount of DB cache and clear it before a critical point is reached. Ben
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    With flash memory, I thought that defragmentation was not a concern. On hard drives its a concern because the drive has to physically jump around on fragmented files. On flash memory, there are no moving parts so fragmentation shouldn't be that much of an issue should it?
    It doesn't have anything to do with moving parts. It has to do with what chunks of memory are used and freed after use. Over time as you install and delete apps, the space freed up may be surrounded by used space. That is how it gets fragmented, and negotiating the fragmented space slows down the device. Deleting apps may not get rid of everything associated with it, too.

So the question is how do you compact the used space and make the free space contiguous again, or does the Palm OS do that on its own? Would something like CleanUp really help?
    No, that is not the purpose of Cleanup (www.northglide.com). Clearing the DB cache happens during a soft reset, which is not the best thing to happen. There are a couple of applications that maintain the DB cache, clearing it when it gets to a user specified level. The one I use is Reset Doctor (http://www.hobbyistsoftware.com/reset-doctor-more.php).

Ben