1.    #1  
    What on earth am I doing wrong?

I have been a Palm OS user for nearly 10 years and I got a Treo 700p last week - upgrading from a Motorola Razr and Palm TX. I am loving the Treo so far but I am running into problems with getting stereo sound while using Pocket Tunes. I initially thought I had a jack problem so I contacted Verizon and they send me a replacement Treo that I received this morning. The first thing I did was check to see if the jack works and I am having the same problem. Grrrr.

I initially tried connecting my Treo to my car's audio system, which I previously did without problem with my TX. I bought a stereo cable from Verizon with a 2.5mm jack on one end and a 3.5mm jack on the other end and it's made specifically for this purpose. Didn't work - sound only on one side of the car. Next, I went to Radio Shack and bought a stereo headset jack adapter and tried using that with my old cable that had a 3.5mm jack on both ends. Same problem. The same problem is happening with both Treos so I suspect that this isn't a Treo issue - rather my issue. I tried plugging a stereo headset into both Treos using the Radio Shack jack adapter and that did the same thing, as well.

Am I doing something wrong or is it possible that both Treos have faulty jacks? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks for your help.
    Does the headset that comes with the phone work correctly? Keep in mind, the phone does not have a standard stereo jack... So I'm not sure your adapter will work. My guess is that the side you are not hearing is connected to the mic channel.
    Quote Originally Posted by sideman7 View Post
    Does the headset that comes with the phone work correctly? Keep in mind, the phone does not have a standard stereo jack... So I'm not sure your adapter will work. My guess is that the side you are not hearing is connected to the mic channel.
    I have used a standard 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter and get stereo sound.
  4.    #4  
    Yes, that works. The headset that came with my phone is one-sided (meaning only one ear phone). Is there going to be any way for me to get stereo sound from my Treo (on headset or in my car)? Do I have to buy the Phone Adapter for Treo available from Palm in order for it to work in my car? I recently ordered the Palm 2-in-1 Stereo Headset Pro, is that going to work?

Thanks for your help.
    Well, there are two surprises for me.... You didn't get a stereo headset with your phone? (I did, so I'm not sure when they stopped doing that). Second, if I look at a wired (mono) 2.5mm headset, it has a standard "stereo" jack, the stereo headset has a extra section further back. This is why I figured a standard adapter might not work...

Given that you have had two phones with the same exact issue, my guess is that the palm branded headset and jack adapter will work (but then again I though the phone would work as advertised too...)
  6.    #6  
    ^I agree - I think I am going to have to buy the Palm branded accessories.

Also, since my initial post, I tried the RS adapter on a coworker's Treo 650 with some off-brand stereo headphones and I got the same result. Thus, there's no way it can be the adapter.
    Well, there are two surprises for me.... You didn't get a stereo headset with your phone? (I did, so I'm not sure when they stopped doing that). Second, if I look at a wired (mono) 2.5mm headset, it has a standard "stereo" jack, the stereo headset has a extra section further back. This is why I figured a standard adapter might not work...

Given that you have had two phones with the same exact issue, my guess is that the palm branded headset and jack adapter will work (but then again I though the phone would work as advertised too...)
    Well if you look at the palm branded 2.5mm to 3.5mm Right angle adapter on their website ($9.99 @ 700p options it only has 3 conductors.. the tip, a middle ring and then the rest of the pin. When I picked up my adapter at Radio Shack, the salesman insisted I needed the one with 4 conductors(has two middle conductors), I said no way... and guess what the 3 contuctor one works fine...
    I looked through some of the reviews of adapters sold on this site, and people have run into similar issues with other adapters (see here http://store.treocentral.com/content...3-75--337.htm). Since the jack is designed for three channels (L,R,mic), the spacing on the sections has to be just right, or you are going to lose a channel in the process...
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    I can't speak for the 700p directly (only ued SAG with it) but on my 650, I realized that palm didn't use a regular 2.5mm adapter.

first it tries to detect if a headset is plugged in or if its a stereo headphones.

second, it doesn't use the normal pins for stereo sound (one can see this by comparising the resistance on each pin on a headphone that works and one that doesn't, amd that resistance is also has the 650 did its autoswitch)