1.    #1  
    How to create your own custom ROM.

In the spirit of sharing, I'd rather give you the knowledge of how I made the custom ROM update than to just feed you custom ROMs without telling you how it is done.

(This is purely to disseminate the knowledge, what you do with it is up to you).
    Last edited by tomtastic; 06/06/2007 at 07:32 AM. Reason: update URL
    Hi Tom,

Here's the thread started by jamesgangut a few hours before you made this. http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=144028

I hope you understand the importance of being clear and concise in making custom roms. Remember, we dont have grack working on the 680 so if mistakes are made, there's no fallback. This is the reason why there is a delay in sharing information.

Jamesgangut is well known in this forum to be the one who always help out especially during the 650 custom rom days. You can do a search and you'll see for yourself. Hope you can rectify your statement as it was uncalled for.
    Tom,

I got your email and I believe we now have come to an understanding. I never expected you to withhold information from others.

Treo 680 sd Update for Unlocked GSM ROW has now been posted. Thanks for providing the info needed to make the custom rom possible.
    In the spirit of further hostility, could someone identify the "uncalled for" post? Not that I dislike uncalled for posts, but I don't see any in this thread. Or, could someone post one if there is none? Perhaps this one?
    I the above referenced blog under how "Treo 680 Rom Hacking" if you go down to the comment section this Tom and MFB are about the only ones conversing. Could the two be the same person perhaps?
    Mike
  6.    #6  
    mbranscum, MFB and tomtastic are separate individuals.
    yup, were not the same person. We did help each other to get the custom rom to the community. : )
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Could you change the low-palmos.zip file size limit of less than 16000000 bytes instead of 12582912 bytes? I see the original file size is 16006919 bytes, so I think it is safe if you increase the size limit.
    Treo Maniac?
    the link is not working?
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    In the spirit of further hostility, could someone identify the "uncalled for" post? Not that I dislike uncalled for posts, but I don't see any in this thread. Or, could someone post one if there is none? Perhaps this one?
    I was thinking the same thing, but after reading the rest of the thread, I had to go and have a lie down.
  11.    #11  
    It occurred to me it might be useful to post this Palm troubleshooter utility, to test that your Treo 680 works properly after mucking around with custom ROMs (Not that we recommend you muck around them at all, it being a pain to recover from a bad ROM flash). It proved useful last weekend after I was putting my Treo back together again.

I've updated the links to my site, and there's a little more interesting information posted there too.

Enjoy!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by tomtastic; 06/06/2007 at 06:19 PM. Reason: updating
    I have used this method to build several versions of my own custom ROM, and it is outstanding. I appreciate all that James and others do for this community, but I have my own requirements and prefer to see the plumbing. This solution lets me control every piece of the puzzle. It's not for the noobies, but you don't have to be a programmer to follow the directions. Thanks.
    I have used this method to build several versions of my own custom ROM, and it is outstanding. I appreciate all that James and others do for this community, but I have my own requirements and prefer to see the plumbing. This solution lets me control every piece of the puzzle. It's not for the noobies, but you don't have to be a programmer to follow the directions. Thanks.
  14.    #14  
    Glad to hear the information has been useful.
    I'm very happy indeed with my 680 now, only thing I could possibly want for it is an unlimited data plan (not going to happen for less than 58 a month in the UK).